Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Age Waiver
honeypot

Author Topic: Age Waiver  (Read 8567 times)

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
Age Waiver
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:02 »
Ok, I'm new to this site and this is my very first post, although I did find a ton of info on here while preparing for the NAPT, but forgive me if I make any mistakes or anything. I'm 27 years old, with a BS in business, a husband and a father, with some NROTC experience and college credits in Naval Science. Obviously, because of my age I need an age waiver to get into the nuke program. I scored a 98 for the NFQT on my ASVAB with a 270 NUC score. Due to needing a waiver, I still had to take the NAPT, on which I scored a 75. It's been exactly 2 weeks and a day since I took the NAPT, waiting to find out whether my age waiver got approved or not. My recruiter says I've got the highest scores anyone in his office has seen, and not to worry because he's sure I'll get accepted. When I took the NAPT, there were two nuke recruiters present and one of them graded it on the spot while I was still there. When they saw my score they both told me they felt very positive about everyone and were pretty sure I'd get in, although they obviously couldn't officially confirm anything. I've been waiting and hoping to hear something, anything, every single day. I guess I'm just getting really anxious, but also a bit worried. Does anyone have any insight as to whether I actually have a good chance at this or has everyone just been blowing smoke up my a**? This is a really really big deal to me, being that it is a total change of career. I just hate waiting to hear back and not being able to do anything else to help my chances.

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
Re: Age Waiver
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01 »
My apologies, I found a post from someone with a similar situation, although  the person was waiting for an age waiver and a moral waiver for drug posession. I have nothing like that just the age waiver, so any insight would still be much appreciated. Also, I meant to say I got a 98 on the AFQT, not NFQT. Being that this is 2012 I took the NAPT not the NFQT.

[When they saw my score they both told me they felt very positive about everyone...]

...meant to say "everything"

I even proof read and spell checked the original post, but didnt catch that until after it was already posted  :-[ !!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:51 »
Hurry up and wait. You aren't the first one to need an age waiver and you will get your answer when Navy feels the time is right.  ;)

Best of luck to you. I was in a very similar situation ~3 years ago.

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:37 »
Yeah I've come to learn that paperwork of any kind moves at a very slow pace in the Navy, like slower than snail mail. I've been in the process of enlisting since last november, about 7 months now, lol. Oh well, I'm sure they let me know when I'm ready, I just wish it was a liiiittle bit quicker.

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2012, 03:28 »
Just wanted to update my post in case anyone else out there was interested. I just got my age waiver approved today, woohoo! Looks like I will be getting the chance to be a nuke after all. Just goes to show that you CAN still get into this field even at age 27 if you are determined and willing to put in the work. I know the hard stuff hasn't even begun yet, but I am ready to go all the way. Any other "late bloomers" out there feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Offline samakb

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2012, 05:54 »
Congrats on the approved waiver! 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2012, 09:22 »
Just wanted to update my post in case anyone else out there was interested. I just got my age waiver approved today, woohoo! Looks like I will be getting the chance to be a nuke after all. Just goes to show that you CAN still get into this field even at age 27 if you are determined and willing to put in the work. I know the hard stuff hasn't even begun yet, but I am ready to go all the way. Any other "late bloomers" out there feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Congratulations.

A word of advice..., stay away from any situation that involves people under 21 and alcohol.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2012, 01:49 »
Thanks everyone. Justin, thanks for the advice. I've been told that by more than a few people already. I have absolutely no intentions of hanging out with anyone under 21 when there is alcohol around. I'm not afraid to card someone either (used to be a bartender in college). This is such an awesome opportunity for me and my family. There is no way I'm going to let something as stupid as underage drinking ruin it for me.

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2012, 12:44 »
Good news, finally got my contract for nuke yesterday and was officially reclassed, woohoo! Only bad thing is that it also pushed my ship date to April 15th, 2013! Yikes! looks like I'll be waiting quite awhile, but oh well. I'm just glad everythings finally been confirmed and I'm on my way.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2012, 12:47 »
Congratulations!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2012, 03:49 »
Nice. It's funny how, back in 2001, I simply told the detailer guy that I wanted to "leave as soon as poosible" and then  found myself shipped out six days later.

What with the huge training hold backlog, the long dep dates make sense. One thing you might want to inquire about is shipping earlier. For example, say another nuke depper gets booted for a marijuana charge, and he was slated to leave this fall.

Just a suggestion in case you want to leave earlier. No idea if it will work, but the worst they can say is no.

Either way, congrats!

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2012, 08:17 »
Yeah I can do exactly that. Basically it'd be putting in a request to leave sooner and if any slots open up for whatever reason (i.e. someone gets DQ'd or can't ship for medical reasons) and I'd be able to take their spot. I will probably do that. I just need to get my household in order and make sure my everything/everyone is prepared beforehand. Thanks again guys for all the advice. I hope to make the NF community proud!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?