Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to...entry level RP or decon

Author Topic: How to...entry level RP or decon  (Read 7488 times)

Offline grae

• Very Lite User
How to...entry level RP or decon
« on: Jun 10, 2012, 05:48 »
I've been working for a support company for primary/secondary S/G for 12 years.  Since they aren't keeping me busy, I need to seek another direction.  What i feel i know best besides steam generators would be decon or RP duties.  How do i get in to, I would assume, entry level RP or decon.  Yeah... I know, contact Bartlett, contact DZ.  That's easier said than done.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: How to...entry level RP or decon
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:02 »
I've been working for a support company for primary/secondary S/G for 12 years.  Since they aren't keeping me busy, I need to seek another direction.  What i feel i know best besides steam generators would be decon or RP duties.  How do i get in to, I would assume, entry level RP or decon.  Yeah... I know, contact Bartlett, contact DZ.  That's easier said than done.

The problem I see is that your 'in' is on the commercial side, so any work that you have experience with is mostly applicable to outages.  That leaves you not being busy 6 months a year - the same problem you have now.  Eventually, if you came to the RP/decon side, you might slide into a house job or DOE work, but there would be a few lean years while you got your experience.

If RP and/or decon is something you think you'd love doing, go for it.  If you are just hoping to work more often, I would be looking to expand out of nuclear, not just to a different part of it.

Good luck!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline grae

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2012, 09:48 »
I'd be happy to just get longer outage jobs.  Just 2 -3 weeks work in an outage period just doesn't get the job done.  I need outage jobs that last the length of the outage.  My problem is i got alot of nuclear experience but i'm to specialized.  I need to get some more general nuclear jobs like deconers or jr HPs.  their jobs pay a lot less than what i get now but they lastmuch longer thereby also building up claim weeks for the lean months.  $150 per hour is great...if you work more than 1 hour.  Not that i make that much...just making a point.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 »
I'd be happy to just get longer outage jobs.  Just 2 -3 weeks work in an outage period just doesn't get the job done.  I need outage jobs that last the length of the outage.  My problem is i got alot of nuclear experience but i'm to specialized.  I need to get some more general nuclear jobs like deconers or jr HPs.  their jobs pay a lot less than what i get now but they lastmuch longer thereby also building up claim weeks for the lean months.  $150 per hour is great...if you work more than 1 hour.  Not that i make that much...just making a point.

Zion, long term decommissioning, lots of major component removal to still be done, might be a good fit,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2012, 01:12 »
I've been working for a support company for primary/secondary S/G for 12 years.  Since they aren't keeping me busy, I need to seek another direction. 
i'm wondering what support company your working for, that you want to jump to another discipline.  in 12 years i'd sort of figure you haven't seen outages get longer.  the engineers at your company ought to be able to forecast future outage length; my instincts tell me that they will get shorter and/or spaced further apart.  if you want to work more time per year to generate good unemployment compensation, i'd suggest a construction trade to supplement your nuclear work.  that way, you'd be able to fill in a couple of lean nuclear months 'n qualify nicely for the max u.c.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

milo124

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2012, 01:38 »
The two companies you mentioned are a good start but like someone else mentioned don't limit yourself to just the commercial side.  Also, this is the worse time of the year to find outage work - let alone expand into another area.  And unfortunately, with the good ol boy and who you know network it's tuff to get in.  All of which you've most likely already found out.  My best advice would be to contact someone you know well that's a senior HP (or Senior deconer) and have them put in a word for you at the next outage they're going to.  Also, I know HPs never do anything (just kidding), but make sure you can pass the HP exams (there's some great training information here for that).  Good luck.

Offline grae

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 »
Well SloJo,  I'll tell ya.  My company supports Westinghouse on primary and secondary S/G.  Westinghouse is trying to keep everything in-house and eliminate needing contractor support or at least keep it to a minimum.  Last fall i had 2 1/2 weeks work.  This past spring i had 3 weeks work and i scheduled for 3 weeks work in this upcoming fall outage.  When i'm working they pay good.  But i would rather get less pay and work more hours and get more weeks toward unemployment than work for $50 an hour for 2 weeks.  I don't think i would have to come in as entry level decon.  I think my 12 years experience dealing with HPs should count for something  :P and i've done alot of decon because you have to decon to get the equipment off the platform.  Then you got to decon it to get it into the seavan and then we used to decon it once it got back home (thats done in-house now) because HP/Site wouldn't allow it on site unless it's squeaky clean.  So i've done more decon than a lot of so-called deconners.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?