Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chairman Jaczko
honeypot

Author Topic: Chairman Jaczko  (Read 19521 times)

HeavyD

Chairman Jaczko
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:37 »

drayer54

Re: Chairman Jaczko
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14 »
Exciting day for the industry to get rid of this clown.

Next move is for Obama not to make the mistake made by Bush when this guy was appointed.

I see this moving in the direction of PolySci quickly. Yucca is already in the news from the trial and could get more attention because of this too.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24 »
I see this moving in the direction of PolySci quickly. Yucca is already in the news from the trial and could get more attention because of this too.

I think the final straw was the Markey probe into allegations of retaliation against staff at Region IV, same sort of issue re: Millstone that nearly saw a skeptical Congress shred the NRC and pour it into a different agency.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31 »
Harry Reid loses an ally. Waste byproduct meet fan.

From the Nukeworker New feed

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/us/gregory-jaczko-to-resign-as-nrc-chairman-after-stormy-tenure.html?_r=1

Dr. Jaczko was named to the N.R.C. by President George W. Bush in January 2005 under a longstanding practice of approving new commissioners in pairs, one from each party. He was chosen by Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, on whose staff Dr. Jaczko served. As chairman, Dr. Jaczko was instrumental in achieving one of Mr. Reid’s central goals, killing the proposed nuclear repository at Yucca Mountain, chosen as a potential waste site by the Senate in the 1980s. Dr. Jaczko cut off work on the commission’s evaluation of the site’s suitability, pointing out that the Energy Department, which had been seeking a license to build and operate the repository, was trying to withdraw its application. The decision became a political flash point both within the commission and in Congress and is now the subject of a challenge in Federal District Court.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:35 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:34 »

Next move is for Obama not to make the mistake made by Bush when this guy was appointed.

Sorry pal, Obama owns this leadership FAIL;

On May 13, 2009, President Obama designated him the organization's Chairman, i.e. its principal executive officer and official spokesperson.

Either Jaczko was vetted to assure he was in line with Obama's policy preferences or Obama could not care less and never vetted him,...

Either way, Obama owns it,...

What did the former POTUS do?!?

He allowed a political appointment to the Commission which was favored by the Dem leadership, as the Commission is typically two Dems, two 'Pubs and a chairman,...

Leftist BDR revisionism FAIL,...

then again, that's what I'm here for,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37 »

I think you are right but since I participate in PolySci on a regular basis I will leave that up to another moderator.

drayer54

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 02:14 »
Sorry pal, Obama owns this leadership FAIL;

Agree. 

I missed that detail about BHO making him chairman while Bush put him there to please Harry.

If Obama puts another Yankee bunny hugger in that slot, he has zero chance at my vote.
I think the final straw was the Markey probe into allegations of retaliation against staff at Region IV, same sort of issue re: Millstone that nearly saw a skeptical Congress shred the NRC and pour it into a different agency.

That and the legality of the funding issues with Yucca are getting examined in depth now too.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:47 »
Agree. 

I missed that detail about BHO making him chairman while Bush put him there to please Harry.....

Or, the seat remains vacant until post election,...

I do not know if that is allowed,...

I'll look into it later,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Wojo

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03 »
Nobody will be named to this chair as replacement until after November 2nd.  You can take that to the bank.  What this means is that the allegations against the chairman had some teeth somewhere, which was going to force his resignation anyway.  This takes the foot off the gas-pedel when it come to the investigations into "chilling work environment", gives the President an out without political damage but really doesn't change anything until after the election.  After the President is re-elected, he will name the new chairman.  Doesn't mean I agree with the chairman's or President's policies on this particular issue, just stating my opinion on what is happening here.  The death of Yucca Mountain is purely political and has nothing to do with facts or science.  It is another example of a politician (Reid) using the word "nuclear" to conjure up fear among the masses, and nothing gets the masses to the voting booths quicker than fear.
Lost my boots in transit, pile of smokin leather, nailed the retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather - J Garcia

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:17 »
Lets refocus.
Its a great day......jaczko the clown is gone!!!
The title should be Ex Chairman!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:19 by RRhoads »

HeavyD

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 03:41 »
Well, as his letter states, he will remain the Chairman until the President appoints a successor.  His current appointment still has 13 months remaining.

Completely agree that nothing will happen until after the election in November.  I personally do not see Romney unseating President Obama, unfortunately, so it will fall back into his lap, again.

Not sure who the next political lackey will be.

On a side note, the site spell checker wanted me to change Obama to ABM ;D

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12 »
Goodbye clown. Let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23 »

Is it too early for a "G'bye SOB Happy Dance"?!?!?!?

Offline Wojo

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 05:46 »
As I stated before, it is way too early for your "happy dance".  Chairman Jaczko is going absolutely nowhere for at least the next six, probably seven or eight months.  Until the President names a new chairman, he is going to stay in his job, and the President will not name a new Chairman until, at the minimum, November 2nd but more realistically, probably January 2013.
Lost my boots in transit, pile of smokin leather, nailed the retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather - J Garcia

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:00 »

Where exactly do you work that you are in a position to judge his performance?

drayer54

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:40 »

I am judging him in the same way that every other citizen who cares to do so and knows less than any high level DOE employee does.

To the people who really know, even the most pretentious shift manager looks like a janitor....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:21 by Drayer »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23 »

I see this moving in the direction of PolySci quickly.

Hopefully that can be avoided, as long as everyone REMEMBERS that we're posting in the open forum.   ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14 »
I was at NRC headquarters the day of the hearing, which was playing on the lobby TV monitor.  Based on comments from the NRC staffers walking through the area, Mr. Jaczko did not seem to be particularly popular.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 09:35 »
As I stated before, it is way too early for your "happy dance".  Chairman Jaczko is going absolutely nowhere for at least the next six, probably seven or eight months.  Until the President names a new chairman, he is going to stay in his job, and the President will not name a new Chairman until, at the minimum, November 2nd but more realistically, probably January 2013.

Yep, seems like the Administration is going to do the "resigned but still here till my replacement shows up" BS, too bad Nixon didn't think of that one,.... [coffee]

M2TP, I just like an excuse to post the "Happy Dance" .gif,... [Flamer]

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:53 »

I don’t have an opinion concerning his job performance, but it is a fact that his retirement statement   was poorly written. For example, the second sentence of the first paragraph has this apparent non sequitur, “My responsibility and commitment to safety will continue to be my paramount priority after I leave the Commission and until my successor is confirmed.” In his statement his numerous attempts to make himself look good detract from the mission of the NRC.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger said about Sylvester Stallone’s wearing of gold chains and all white suits, “It’s a shame nobody taught him how to be cool.”

Unfortunately, members of the public who may judge the safety of the nuclear industry on the contents and tone of his retirement letter may be left with the impression that insincere platitude passes for truth in the NRC.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2012/12-060.pdf

Offline caliban10010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 05:35 »
Nuclear waste expert tapped as top U.S. nuclear regulator.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/24/us-usa-nuclear-idUSBRE84N1GO20120524

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 05:40 »

Kreskin says.....she aims the money printing machine at WIPP!

drayer54

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51 »

So much for that whole post election speak....

Apparently, she is pretty hard headed intelligent!

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1082951

It appears she was brought in to oppose Yucca, just like the last guy. This must be what it takes to win Nevada.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 11:08 »
....If Obama puts another Yankee bunny hugger in that slot,.....

She's an MIT graduate in Geology, that should be close enough,...

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/301070/red-alert-don-t-confirm-allison-macfarlane-nrc-head-robert-zubrin

And her husband is no slouch at unhappy with nukes activism either,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Gusterson

.... he has zero chance at my vote.....

We thank you for your support,.... 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 11:47 »
It appears she was brought in to oppose Yucca, just like the last guy. This must be what it takes to win Nevada.

Meet the new boss same as the old boss... apparently we can be fooled again.

[coffee]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?