Career Path > Resume & Interview

Resume Advice

<< < (3/19) > >>

Dstealth:
Thank you Rennhack for allowing us to work on my resume on the forum. 

Okay here is another revised resume.  This one I used paragraphs instead of bullets; I also removed the skills and copied the skills I was assessed with in college 3 months ago. I also tried to go with Broadzilla's suggestion of getting more specific with what I have accomplish with each job.  It is now two pages as I have added in details to the 3 temporary jobs I held while in transition to my current job after the Navy.  Anyways, here it is.

Professional Profile
I served in the US Navy as a Nuclear Engineer for 8 years.  I am currently working in a fast past manufacturing plant.  I am an energetic hardworking person who loves to learn.  In June 2012 I will have my Bachelor of Science in Technical Management from Devry University. I love operating and troubleshooting equipment and I am very skilled in this department.  I give every task 100% of my attention and perform each task with integrity.

Education
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – 4.0 GPA at Devry University– Online – June 2012
QAI – Submarine Force Quality Assurance Inspector – Groton, CT - Graduated July 2003
Leadership – First Line Leadership Development Program – Groton, CT - Graduated Dec 2003
Nuclear Engineer – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001

Skills
Advise people, analysis data, anticipate problems, audit records, check for accuracy, communication, coordinate activities, cope with deadlines, delegate efficiently, endure long hours, use precision measuring tools, find information, follow directions, implement changes, investigate causes, learn quickly, mediate problems, mentor others, observer, planner, writing, talking, selling, negotiating, computer use, quality assurance, and CPR/First Aid.

Work Experience
Feb 2009 to Present – Lead Operator–North American Pipe Co., Yucca, AZ
   I supervise start-up, shut downs, and operations of all the manufacturing plant equipment.  I have developed quality operators with my training abilities; this is shown as I have personally trained 10 of the current 16 operators who work at this plant.  My diligence and understanding of machinery has led my shift to have the least amount of rework units in the plant for the past 3 years.  My shift has had zero incidents since I have become the lead operator providing a very safe attitude and environment to work in.  I started this position as an operator and was promoted to lead operator after 5 months of hard work.  This is a demanding position in which my attitude, knowledge, and nature promotes a positive attitude which has created very low attrition rate for my shift.

Oct 2008 to Feb 2009 –   Electronics Department Salesman – K-mart–Lake Havasu City, AZ
   I sold electronics and was commended for having high sales numbers.  I researched all products to provide the best customer service possible and to be able to answer any and all questions that were asked.  I cleaned and organized my area to ensure the customers had a pleasant shopping experience.   

May 2008 to Sept 2008 – Delivery Driver – Papa Johns – Huston, TX
   This was a fun job in which had a lot of energy and team work.  I coordinated routes, delivered pizzas, took orders, made pizzas, stocked the shelves, and cleaned. 

Feb 2008 to May 2008 – Loan Officer – First Option Mortgage – Huston, TX
   This position provided me the opportunity to learn about house mortgages and loans.  I closed my first loan in record time of a person just learning the business.  I coordinated with client’s schedules, underwriters, appraisers, realtors, and banks.  I organized information to present accurate good faith estimates and loan documents. 

Dec 1999 to Feb 2008 – Nuclear Machinist Mate Subs – US Navy – SC, NY, CT, WA, and CA
I served in the US Navy for 8 years.  I was awarded twice while in the nuclear training pipeline; once as a math Honorman and the other was a commendation letter for helping others.  I was in the top half of all my Navy Nuclear training.  At S8G prototype in New York I graduated with the second highest GPA of the mechanics. 
After prototype I was handpicked to serve on the USS Jimmy Carter; this granted me a top secret clearance.  A dedication to my qualification allowed me to qualify all mechanical watch stations with-in 6 months of being on the boat.  As the assistant gage calibration coordinator; I found that the ship yard never removed a mechanism that bypassed the DP cells from working properly; this prevented going underway with faulty equipment that could have caused great damage.  I was also afforded the opportunity to perform many primary and secondary tests that are only performed on initial installation of a nuclear reactor.  As the divisions repair parts personnel I ensured that we always had the right parts to perform every piece of required maintenance.  During my time on the boat I have scheduled and performed maintenance, wrote training, wrote work packages, ordered parts, calibrated gages, performed troubleshooting, and inspections.  While on sea duty my dedication to performance awarded me 2 Navy Achievement Medals, 2 Captain Letters, 1 Admiral Letters.
 While on shore duty I was appointed Supervisor of the deluge valve shop in San Diego, CA.  While here I saved the Navy over $400,000 dollars in repair cost by revamping the procedure used to repair the valves, I was awarded an admirals letter and the Navy Lean Zealot Award for this accomplishment.  This also cut the repair time from 4 months to 4 days for every deluge valve on an entire ship.  While supervising the quality of work was unquestioned as every valve that was rebuilt and hydro tested resulted in no rework. 

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: Dstealth on May 25, 2012, 01:15 ---Thank you Rennhack for allowing us to work on my resume on the forum.
--- End quote ---

I edited the posts to remove your personal information. (Name, contact info.)

I've also stickied this post.  When everyone is done with you, this should serve as a good guide for others.

librarian:
My husband was reading this and I just had to chime in.  He is a nuke currently separating from the Navy and I helped him to edit his resume in order to make it easy to read for those not familiar with the Navy nuke program or the military.  The responses to his resume have been good and I would love to help.  I don't have nuke experience but a lot of experience with writing, formatting and editing resumes.

You definitely need to do a lot of work with yours.  Some suggestions:

- Do not use "I", "me", "my" ever in your resume!  Always write it in 3rd person.

- You should be listing your qualifications/duties/jobs, etc. and not putting them into paragraphs.  I definitely disagree with not using bullets.  No one wants to read resumes, they only want to scan them. I want to be able to scroll down your resume to find exactly what I'm looking for instead of having to read the whole thing.  You can always send your resume in a .pdf file if acceptable and there will not be a formatting problem. 

-You are applying for nuclear jobs, they won't care if you worked in customer service/pizza delivery.  You want your resume to be relevant to the job you are applying for so that may mean a different version for different jobs. They may ask about gaps in between leaving the navy and now so you may have to put jobs in as a filler unless you have an excellent excuse for not working such as going to school, taking care of your mom, etc.

-Don't state the same thing twice.  Keep your resume as short and simple as possible.  You don't need to state you've been in the Navy for 8 years, that should be evident in your years worked in your job experience.  If your resume is organized well enough, everything will only be mentioned once.

-Do not use generalizations.  Everyone is a "hard working, eager to learn, energetic person".  You have to prove it, state facts that back these statements up. 

If you would like I can PM you a sample resume.  I would recommend for you to start your resume over completely fresh using the following sections as a guide:

Header (name, address, etc.)
Summary
Skills
Education
Certification
Experience
Awards

Fermi2:

--- Quote from: librarian on May 25, 2012, 04:53 ---My husband was reading this and I just had to chime in.  He is a nuke currently separating from the Navy and I helped him to edit his resume in order to make it easy to read for those not familiar with the Navy nuke program or the military.  The responses to his resume have been good and I would love to help.  I don't have nuke experience but a lot of experience with writing, formatting and editing resumes.

You definitely need to do a lot of work with yours.  Some suggestions:

- Do not use "I", "me", "my" ever in your resume!  Always write it in 3rd person.

- You should be listing your qualifications/duties/jobs, etc. and not putting them into paragraphs.  I definitely disagree with not using bullets.  No one wants to read resumes, they only want to scan them. I want to be able to scroll down your resume to find exactly what I'm looking for instead of having to read the whole thing.  You can always send your resume in a .pdf file if acceptable and there will not be a formatting problem. 

-You are applying for nuclear jobs, they won't care if you worked in customer service/pizza delivery.  You want your resume to be relevant to the job you are applying for so that may mean a different version for different jobs. They may ask about gaps in between leaving the navy and now so you may have to put jobs in as a filler unless you have an excellent excuse for not working such as going to school, taking care of your mom, etc.

-Don't state the same thing twice.  Keep your resume as short and simple as possible.  You don't need to state you've been in the Navy for 8 years, that should be evident in your years worked in your job experience.  If your resume is organized well enough, everything will only be mentioned once.

-Do not use generalizations.  Everyone is a "hard working, eager to learn, energetic person".  You have to prove it, state facts that back these statements up. 

If you would like I can PM you a sample resume.  I would recommend for you to start your resume over completely fresh using the following sections as a guide:

Header (name, address, etc.)
Summary
Skills
Education
Certification
Experience
Awards

--- End quote ---

Not true. AS someone who reviews resumes I absolutely DO care about Non Nuclear things. If an individual worked at Burger King and figured out a way to make their customer service more efficient I am absolutely interested. He showed leadership and made something work better.

So how about letting the experts give him advice...

I HATE bullets. Paragraphs are quite all right. I do not penalize for either method provided the information is relevant.

I do agree with one thing, your Navy experience should be a header (US Navy from X to X)
Then underneath break it down.

But the way you have it is quite all right.

If you want top use adjectives to describe yourself do what I did. I added a summary paragraph that had about 5 to 8 paragraphs describing me.

The best advice you'll get here is from those who have leveraged their resumes into actual jobs, not those who have only seen interest.

I'll see if I can dig up mine.

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on May 25, 2012, 08:37 ---

I'll see if I can dig up mine.

--- End quote ---

And thus, early warning sites throughout the free world begin their search  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version