Career Path > Resume & Interview

Resume Advice

<< < (4/19) > >>

Fermi2:
LOL the trouble is the one I have at home is not in a Word Format. I believe I made it with works and my new laptop doesn't support works!

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on May 25, 2012, 09:27 ---LOL the trouble is the one I have at home is not in a Word Format. I believe I made it with works and my new laptop doesn't support works!

--- End quote ---

Ok my cyber-Amish friend, PM it to me and I'll see what I can do in OpenOffice  8)

SA82:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on May 25, 2012, 08:37 ---So how about letting the experts give him advice...
--- End quote ---

I recently completed my job search and found that having someone review my resume from outside the industry was very helpful. It made it easier to describe the things I did in the Navy to those who didn't understand the terms I was using or the types of titles that I held...(WCS, EDPO,....)

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on May 25, 2012, 08:37 ---If you want top use adjectives to describe yourself do what I did. I added a summary paragraph that had about 5 to 8 paragraphs describing me.
--- End quote ---

Not sure what a paragraph containing paragraphs is...but he could be describing a cover letter. Cover letters are great for adding a larger summary describing what you bring to the table and why you are a perfect fit for the job that you are applying for. It helps you keep the lengthy summaries out of your resume.

Hope this helps!

Dstealth:
I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you all for the great advice.  I am still working on revising the resume; however, I work 14 hour days this weekend and have to finish up this weeks college coursework.  I will have more time on Monday to change or create another revised resume.

I will say that I am liking the paragraphs in the resume instead of the bullets.

College papers are written in third person to be more persuasive.  In those papers it is extremely important to remove the I, we, me, myself, etc...  Should a resume be the same way as librarian stated?  Or should the I, we, me, myself be in a resume to add a sense of person to the writer. 

I have also heard of resume scanners that allow HR departments to not even read the resumes that are submitted.  One person in my Senior Project class explained how for government jobs the resume should be as long as possible.  I have always heard of making resumes as short as possible; because, if they are too long people do not read them.

So which is better a long resume or a short resume?  I could add in another 6 years of work experience before my Navy Career if it would be to my benefit.  I have always simply assumed that people only cared about the Navy and the rest just proves continuous employment.  However; Broadzilla explained about carring about working at places such as Burger King as long as a positive lesson was learned at the job.  So in the end which is better?

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Dstealth on May 26, 2012, 02:22 ---
I have also heard of resume scanners that allow HR departments to not even read the resumes that are submitted. 

--- End quote ---

One way to deal with this is to use a 'keywords' section...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,32798.msg147692.html#msg147692

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version