Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Resume Advice

Author Topic: Resume Advice  (Read 111560 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Resume Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40 »
I mostly concur, except that:

Sorry HD, did not mean to walk on your post but I had already typed it up with my  [2cents] and did not want to discard it when I saw the "new post warning".

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15 »
When I look at them. One page Max. Anything after one page I do not read. I put my grading scale up in another post.

It's up to the person submitting the resume to place it in words I can understand as a member of my industry. If I am hiring a procedure writer you best make it apparent to me why you can be 50.59 qualified because I'm not going to try to figure it out.

I'm ex Navy but refuse to turn Navyese into what I need. Also most Navy accomplishments are BS anyway. I know what schooling you have, I know the quals you have and I also know anyone with 1 percent of motivation can be an ERS in the Navy and anyone with 3% motivation can be an EWS.

What I am interested in is what you did to improve something, what did you do to go at least 33% past your job and normal duties. Remember the Maximum the Navy expected out of you is barely the minimum we expect.

1 Page tops, if you can't sell yourself in one page you can't sell yourself to me. Remember for an NLO Position there are most likely 600 to 1000 people applying for that job and those who live with a certain distance from the plant tend to get priority.

Also, virtually all HR departments require a graded and weighted approach. They will make the hiring manager for said position create 5 to 8 criteria for the job each with it's own weight. Depending on what you tell them on your resume is how that individual grades you. Example "Prior Nuclear Experience" might be a 20% weight. I tend to sub weigh mine. Prior Nuclear experience to me would be
5 Points is an SRO or RO on this facility
4.5 Is an SRO from a similar commercial facility.
4.0 Would be an SRO from the other type of Commercial facility or an RO from a similar commercial facility.
3.5 Would be an NLO at this facility
3.0 Would be an NLO from any other type of facility
2.0 would be an individual who passed an RO/SRO license Systems course at my facility but could not finish the course for other reasons.
1.5 Would be an individual who works at my facility in any fashion
1.0 Any Navy experience provided you qualified and exited the service as at least an E-6

Assuming someone was an SRO at my facility applying for a job he or she will get 5 times 20 for 100 Points.

Not all are rated for 20%. I tend to break mine into 20, 15, 15, 15, 15, 10, 5 and 5 for various items I look for but keep in mind the higher weights are weighted heavily for having commercial nuclear experience as I can assume building blocks of knowledge and skill sets you can't get from someone just out of the Navy.

In certain cases you have no real choice. An example being if you are looking for Instant SROs and you have exhausted the commercial world then the initial criteria is do they meet the ACAD and you adjust your screening criteria from there.

NOTE the initial weighting is 70% of getting the job, usually the other 30% is the interview. Yes what you answer is scored than weighted with some questions being automatically multiply everything by zero.

There are also things in the screening that are multiply by Zeros. An example would be for a procedure writer. When I hire a procedure writer my minimum requirement is they can be qualified 50.59 and 72.48 by such and such a date. An Engineer off the street or out of the Navy doesn't meet that. It takes 4 years. Now an RO, SRO, Former SRO or RO, NLO on that plant, or a degreed engineer who can has passed a a Licensed level systems course meets the requirement. The Licensed guys automatically meet the requirement. The NLO at the plant and that engineer can meet it as SME's. If you reed a job bid for procedure writer it simply says High School Diploma with 2 years Nuclear experience. I will not hire an individual who cannot perform all the duties other procedure writers can perform. In other words I do not allow functional grouping. I require they all be able to write or at least review EOPs and Appendix R documents and to do so requires they can write and review 50.59 documents. Therefore you can be Mr. Everything but if you cannot qualify 50.59 by such and such a date then I multiply everything by zero and justify it.

Just using that as an example.  Also remember at some utilities HR does not really screen the resumes, they simply forward them to a hiring manager who screens them. So yours better stand out.

I can say this for Instant SRO. We've had such a bad experience with Navy RO and EWS I have heard if you weren't an EOOW they are screening you out for Instant SRO Positions.

Then again I think the days of landslide hiring are over.

I'm lucky. For the most part I don't submit resumes if I am interested in a position. I fill out the resume section of job application "I am a BWR and PWR Qualified Shift Manager" Or I simply update my resume on Monster as that is the first item on it. Never takes more than a day for the Hey wanna interviews pour in.

Hope that insight helps!

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 12:24 »
This is the best advice - all the other stuff is formatting.

Know what the employer is looking for and put in big letters across the top why you can do it/have done it/are qualified to do it.

I'm lucky. For the most part I don't submit resumes if I am interested in a position. I fill out the resume section of job application "I am a BWR and PWR Qualified Shift Manager" Or I simply update my resume on Monster as that is the first item on it. Never takes more than a day for the Hey wanna interviews pour in.

Hope that insight helps!

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 03:46 »
I agree to a certain extent but that approach is more realistic for guys who have established themselves. Most anyone looking at Resumes at a plant can say Hmmm A Shift Manager at the two major type of reactors in the US, the blanks fill in themselves.

Guys just out of the Navy are competing with other people of similar background and skill level.

The newer guys have to sell more.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 12:18 »
I would think the Degree from Devry University is hurting you.  I'm not doubting your ability but Devry is a lay-up.  It's a on-line Degree. Extremely Easy to receive a 4.0 GPA, well as long as you know how to copy and paste.  I know you expressed the circumstances you were in with your sick mother.  I applaud you for taking care of her!  I'd hire you for that fact alone.  Devry is like Thomas Edison, its a scam.  It's not even an accredited University.  Devry is set up for individuals that already have 10-20 years experience in the industry, and are looking for a spot in upper management.  Most employers will not ask said individuals where they obtained there degree, only if they have one. 

Just a quick response about accreditation...

Devry is an accredited University even if taking the courses online.  There are some degree's that are offered by them that are not accredited; however, my degree is Technical management and is accredited.  The accreditation is from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Now I was considering getting a Masters Degree in Electrical engineering after I finish my degree next month; however, Devry's Electronic Engineering degree is not accredited so I am looking for other alternatives.

TAC of ABET requires separate review of each engineering technology program both online and at each physical location. The Engineering Technology - Computers, as well as the Engineering Technology - Electronics, programs are offered online only and are currently not accredited by TAC of ABET. DeVry will seek accreditation for these programs as soon as appropriate, in accordance with TAC of ABET procedures. Future accreditation is not guaranteed. The CET and EET programs at DeVry Calgary are not eligible for this accreditation.

ArthurRyan

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 12:34 »
I want to apologize for the mistake in accreditation.  I looked into DeVry a few years back, and found that most areas that I was interested in was not ABET.  I should have done my homework before making a comment about them.    But, my view on Thomas Edison still stands.lol  Since you considering a future in the Nuke World.  Research for your graduate Degree in Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Radiological Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene.  Of course these degrees are not needed!  They just have more significance towards the career you are seeking.     

Good Luck to you Sir! 

milo124

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29 »
I want to apologize for the mistake in accreditation.  I looked into DeVry a few years back, and found that most areas that I was interested in was not ABET.  I should have done my homework before making a comment about them.    But, my view on Thomas Edison still stands.lol  Since you considering a future in the Nuke World.  Research for your graduate Degree in Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Radiological Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene.  Of course these degrees are not needed!  They just have more significance towards the career you are seeking.     

Good Luck to you Sir! 

TESC is regionally accredited and not a "scam."  They may not have the ABET accreditation, but I give props to the individuals with 20 years in the business that have a full time job and a family that are trying to better themselves.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58 »
I would like to thank everyone for the resume advice that has been provided.  This has been the most helpful thread/discussion I have ever read on a resume.  I understand now that everyone does the same job when performing a job so the resume bullets need to be what I did extra.  However; I need to right each and every resume for each and every specific position. 

Again thank you all for the insight and knowledge.  The other thing that I took away from this was the help on what jobs to apply for.  Now I know that I need my foot in the door.  In the end I'll shorten the resume to one page, but I like the paragraphs instead of the bullets and will keep that.

Thanks again!

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 12:40 »
Here is my new resume.  I feel like I have touched all of the concepts described in this thread.  Please by all means tear it up; however, it is written for a specific job that I am now applying for.  

Professional Profile
Professional Profile
Top secret clearance obtained while serving as a mechanical nuclear technician on board the USS Jimmy Carter.  Top half GPA while attending NNPTU classes and prototype.  To go beyond my normal duties at my current employment; I write procedures and training for the plant operators which increases retention and reduces on waste of material.  I am a founding member of the safety committee at NAPCO and give monthly safety training.  I desire to obtain an entry level operator position at a nuclear power plant so that I can aspire to an SRO position.
Education
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – Devry University–June 2012
QAI – Submarine Force Quality Assurance Inspector – Groton, CT - Graduated July 2003
Leadership – First Line Leadership Development Program – Groton, CT - Graduated Dec 2003
Mechanical Nuclear Technician – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001
Electrical Engineering – University of Wyoming –39 Credits attended 1995 to 1997

Skills
Advise people, analysis data, anticipate problems, audit records, check for accuracy, communication, coordinate activities, cope with deadlines, delegate efficiently, endure long hours, use precision measuring tools, find information, follow directions, implement changes, investigate causes, learn quickly, mediate problems, mentor others, observer, planner, writing, talking, selling, negotiating, computer use, quality assurance, and CPR/First Aid.

Work Experience
Dec 1999 to Feb 2008 – Nuclear Machinist Mate Subs – US Navy – SC, NY, CT, WA, and CA
I was awarded Math-Honorman in mechanical ‘A’ school and an academic achievement certificate in Power School from the Director of Nuclear Power School.  While in prototype my in-rate standing was 4 of 71.  
I can provide letters from several officers that will demonstrate unquestionable trust, superior performance, and total commitment.   A notable example of this is when I was the assistant gage calibration coordinator I found a defect in the ship’s installed differential pressure cells that prevented them from working in many of the engine room systems.  
While on shore duty I was a valve shop supervisor; I excelled in this by using lean manufacturing techniques.  These techniques awarded me the first ever Lean Zealot award; this saved over $400,000 and 90% in repair time; these techniques saved my shop from being outsourced to a private company.

Feb 2009 to Present – Lead Operator–North American Pipe Co., Yucca, AZ
I am responsible for the monitoring of equipment, performance, and anticipation system operations, evolutions, cleanliness, and production rate of the entire manufacturing plant. I supervise mechanical and electrical maintenance with lock out tag out procedures.  I have personally trained 10 of 16 of the personnel who currently work in the plant; 3 have gone to become Class A operators and 2 Lead Operators.

Oct 2008 to Feb 2009 –   Electronics Department Salesman – K-mart–Lake Havasu City, AZ
   I excelled in selling extended service plans and Sears Credit cards.
May 2008 to Sept 2008 – Delivery Driver – Papa Johns – Huston, TX
   I excelled in team work and learned about process improvement and scheduling.
Feb 2008 to May 2008 – Loan Officer – First Option Mortgage – Huston, TX
   I excelled in team coordination and learned how mortgages work which allows me to help coworkers with mortgage purchasing and refinancing questions.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:17 by Dstealth »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 11:53 »
Unless you worked for NR, you were neither a nuclear engineer, nor a mechanical engineer.  That first sentence should be edited to reflect your job accurately.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 07:11 »
TESC is regionally accredited and not a "scam."  They may not have the ABET accreditation, but I give props to the individuals with 20 years in the business that have a full time job and a family that are trying to better themselves.
After you get your SRO license, that "worthless" TESC degree is worth about $4000.00 in base pay.  Since all your 401k matches and bonuses are computed from base pay, it's quite a bit of money.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37 »
Unless you worked for NR, you were neither a nuclear engineer, nor a mechanical engineer.  That first sentence should be edited to reflect your job accurately.

I will go above and edit it.  I assume this mistake is common with Enlisted Navy personnel.  Since in the Navy we all call ourselves Nuclear Engineers.  I changed the engineer to technician.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:38 by Dstealth »

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18 »
A minor issue I don't like is the repeated "I excelled in..." statements at the end.  I'd avoid using the exact same phrase 3 times in a row, as it starts to sound phony.  Instead you could say somehing like "I exceeded my sales targets for extended service plans and Sears Credit cards by providing excellent customer service", etc.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 04:39 »
I will go above and edit it.  I assume this mistake is common with Enlisted Navy personnel.  Since in the Navy we all call ourselves Nuclear Engineers.  I changed the engineer to technician.

Missed one,... :P ;) :) 8)

Here is my new resume.  I feel like I have touched all of the concepts described in this thread.  Please by all means tear it up; however, it is written for a specific job that I am now applying for.  

Professional Profile
Professional Profile
Top secret clearance obtained while serving as a mechanical nuclear technician on board the USS Jimmy Carter.  Top half GPA while attending NNPTU classes and prototype.  To go beyond my normal duties at my current employment; I write procedures and training for the plant operators which increases retention and reduces on waste of material.  I am a founding member of the safety committee at NAPCO and give monthly safety training.  I desire to obtain an entry level operator position at a nuclear power plant so that I can aspire to an SRO position.
Education
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – Devry University–June 2012
QAI – Submarine Force Quality Assurance Inspector – Groton, CT - Graduated July 2003
Leadership – First Line Leadership Development Program – Groton, CT - Graduated Dec 2003
Nuclear Engineer – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001
Electrical Engineering – University of Wyoming –39 Credits attended 1995 to 1997

Skills
Advise people, analysis data, anticipate problems, audit records, check for accuracy, communication, coordinate activities, cope with deadlines, delegate efficiently, endure long hours, use precision measuring tools, find information, follow directions, implement changes, investigate causes, learn quickly, mediate problems, mentor others, observer, planner, writing, talking, selling, negotiating, computer use, quality assurance, and CPR/First Aid.

Work Experience
Dec 1999 to Feb 2008 – Nuclear Machinist Mate Subs – US Navy – SC, NY, CT, WA, and CA
I was awarded Math-Honorman in mechanical ‘A’ school and an academic achievement certificate in Power School from the Director of Nuclear Power School.  While in prototype my in-rate standing was 4 of 71.  
I can provide letters from several officers that will demonstrate unquestionable trust, superior performance, and total commitment.   A notable example of this is when I was the assistant gage calibration coordinator I found a defect in the ship’s installed differential pressure cells that prevented them from working in many of the engine room systems.  
While on shore duty I was a valve shop supervisor; I excelled in this by using lean manufacturing techniques.  These techniques awarded me the first ever Lean Zealot award; this saved over $400,000 and 90% in repair time; these techniques saved my shop from being outsourced to a private company.

I am responsible for the monitoring of equipment, performance, and anticipation system operations, evolutions, cleanliness, and production rate of the entire manufacturing plant. I supervise mechanical and electrical maintenance with lock out tag out procedures.  I have personally trained 10 of 16 of the personnel who currently work in the plant; 3 have gone to become Class A operators and 2 Lead Operators.

Oct 2008 to Feb 2009 –   Electronics Department Salesman – K-mart–Lake Havasu City, AZ
   I excelled in selling extended service plans and Sears Credit cards.
May 2008 to Sept 2008 – Delivery Driver – Papa Johns – Huston, TX
   I excelled in team work and learned about process improvement and scheduling.
Feb 2008 to May 2008 – Loan Officer – First Option Mortgage – Huston, TX
   I excelled in team coordination and learned how mortgages work which allows me to help coworkers with mortgage purchasing and refinancing questions.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:40 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38 »
A minor issue I don't like is the repeated "I excelled in..." statements at the end.  I'd avoid using the exact same phrase 3 times in a row, as it starts to sound phony.  Instead you could say somehing like "I exceeded my sales targets for extended service plans and Sears Credit cards by providing excellent customer service", etc.

I thought we agreed it should be in 3rd person.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50 »
My bad, I was starting from the bottom part of the resume which flipped into first person.  How about "Exceeded assigned sales targets for extended service plans and Sears Credit cards by providing excellent customer service."
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 01:49 by tr »

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16 »
I thought we agreed it should be in 3rd person.

I was looking for a definitive answer on the 3rd person still.  I was trying to follow it and only saw one other person state it should be third person.  Maybe I missed some post.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18 »
Missed one,... :P ;) :) 8)

Changed it thanks for pointing it out. 

Fermi2

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18 »
3rd person.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #44 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:10 »
Changed it thanks for pointing it out. 

Your welcome.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Jun 03, 2012, 06:12 »
In this resume it is all 3rd person.  I left the paragraph format; because, I could not get the grammar to read write being 3rd person in a paragraph form.  I am hoping the awards will give a sense of my ability to go above and beyond.  I have included all of the job duties that I will be performing in this resume.  Tear it up again and I will revise it.  Again thank you all for the advice.

Objective
An experienced nuclear technician who is seeking a position in a Nuclear Power Plant.

Education
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – Devry University–Graduate June 2012
          Award - Dean’s list for a 4.0 GPA
Nuclear Technician – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001
          Awards - Honorman certificate - Issued for highest math grade in Nuclear Mechanic ‘A’ school
                        Academic excellence certificate from the Director of Power School
High School Diploma – Kelly Walsh High School – Graduated May 1995

Work Experience
  • •   Quality Assurance inspector
    •   Write/review work packages
    •   Supervise personnel at a valve repair shop
    •   Hydrostatically test valves, pipes, and systems
    •   Aggressively maintain a safe working environment
    •   Monitor and maintain all required data logs and records
    •   Monitor and perform drills as part of drill team and responder
    •   Assist in scheduling, coordinating, and performing maintenance
    •   Perform routine and corrective maintenance of plant equipment
    •   Operate all plant equipment and systems in a nuclear engine room
    •   Comply with all applicable environmental, health and safety policies
    •   Startup and shut down of plant equipment and basic chemistry testing
    •   Maintain log of meter and gauge reading and records data such as water test results
Awards: 1 Captain Letter - For being an inspirational hard worker and performance during an ORSE
             1 Lean Zealot Award - For reducing operation cost by $400,000 and increasing efficiency
             2 Navy Achievement Medals – For inspirational work performance and technical expertise
             2 Admiral Letters - For watch standing, technical knowledge, and superior attention to detail

• •   Anticipate plant conditions and change PLC controls as necessary
    •   Ensure all personnel comply with all applicable safety policies
    •   Monitor quantity of chemicals consumed to make product
    •   Train shift on daily and monthly safety meetings
    •   Maintain First aid/CPR certification
    •   Operate forklifts and cranes
Award:  Perfect Attendance

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012, 04:54 by Dstealth »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Jun 03, 2012, 08:25 »
I like it.  I can read it and understand it.  I was not in the Navy.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #47 on: Jun 04, 2012, 01:16 »
Your work experience seems to be out of sequence and if it was me I would call it "relevant experience" and leave off K Mart and pizza delivery. Also i would put education above experience- you have a degree which puts you ahead of a lot of people. Leave off the fact that you follow rules and regulations, it is a given.   And you spelled "Houston" wrong!!  Good luck and I admire your ability to learn from others but remember not everyone is always right.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #48 on: Jun 04, 2012, 02:20 »
Your work experience seems to be out of sequence and if it was me I would call it "relevant experience" and leave off K Mart and pizza delivery. Also i would put education above experience- you have a degree which puts you ahead of a lot of people. Leave off the fact that you follow rules and regulations, it is a given.   And you spelled "Houston" wrong!!  Good luck and I admire your ability to learn from others but remember not everyone is always right.

Thank you.  I have respelled Houston.  I have also moved the education back up top.  As for the work experience when I put the Navy on the bottom it seems I have to tell most recruiters that I was in the Navy.  They never even make it to the bottom of the resume to read it.  That is why I have now started to put it up top.  Also every time I leave off K-mart, Papa Johns, and First Option I get asked about the gap in work history.  As for the comply with regulation and safety; even though it is a given it was still a bullet in the job description.  However; I did have it in there twice and removed the redundancy.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012, 02:21 by Dstealth »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Jun 04, 2012, 02:42 »
Thank you.  I have respelled Houston.  I have also moved the education back up top.  As for the work experience when I put the Navy on the bottom it seems I have to tell most recruiters that I was in the Navy.  They never even make it to the bottom of the resume to read it.  That is why I have now started to put it up top.  Also every time I leave off K-mart, Papa Johns, and First Option I get asked about the gap in work history.  As for the comply with regulation and safety; even though it is a given it was still a bullet in the job description.  However; I did have it in there twice and removed the redundancy.

I saw the out of order chronology as well, but decided the more important stuff was at the top, and the less important stuff was at the bottom, and I really didn't want to read through all the unimportant stuff to get to the good stuff... short attention spans and all... so I didn't mention it.  I think his audience is smart enough to figure it out. -- But it did bother me.  I also hoped that the formatting was better on his local copy.  I know its a PITA to format in the forum.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?