Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Resume Advice  

Author Topic: Resume Advice  (Read 111555 times)

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
Re: Resume Advice
« Reply #50 on: Jun 04, 2012, 04:15 »
One last comment- your objective is poorly worded. What is a mechanical power plant operator?  Weren't you a nuclear propulsion plant operator? IDK I wasn't navy. Don't ask for an entry level job you have ten years experience but I think you need to choose a specific craft or trade to focus on.  There is nothing wrong with having a diffetent resume for each specialty or craft you are applying for.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #51 on: Jun 04, 2012, 04:37 »
One last comment- your objective is poorly worded. What is a mechanical power plant operator?  Weren't you a nuclear propulsion plant operator? IDK I wasn't navy. Don't ask for an entry level job you have ten years experience but I think you need to choose a specific craft or trade to focus on.  There is nothing wrong with having a diffetent resume for each specialty or craft you are applying for.

I believe a mechanical power plant operator would be the equivalent to an Auxiliary Operator or Equipment Operator.  

I will change it to a Nuclear Technician and run with that.  I do change the objective when submitting to different positions; however, needed a general objective for this job board since it is not for a position.

@ Rennhack; yes the local formatting looks better.  The bullets are easier to read than paragraph form; since paragraph form just seems to mesh everything together.  I tried to make it a bit better just now for the forum.

Also I think I will remove the work experience that is not relevant to the position.  It just looks cleaner to me without it there.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012, 04:53 by Dstealth »

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Jun 04, 2012, 05:42 »
Changed the format back to the first format I had.  This allows me to put my entire work history on here and list every job.  My hopes with this is that it will cut/paste to the forum better; which, will also mean that it will cut and paste better when submitting the resume.
The biggest problem with this is the Military experience again goes in the center and can be easily missed.  

So which format is better?  This one seems to flow better in my opinion.

Objective: An experienced nuclear technician who is seeking a position in a Nuclear Power Plant.

Education/Training
•   Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – Devry University–Graduate June 2012
•   Nuclear Technician – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001
•   Electrical Engineering – University of Wyoming –39 Credits attended 1995 to 1997
•   High School Diploma – Kelly Walsh High School – Graduated May 1995

Awards
•   Dean’s list for a 4.0 GPA
•   Honorman certificate - Issued for highest math grade in Nuclear Mechanic ‘A’ school
•   Academic excellence certificate from the Director of Power School
•   Captain Letter - For being an inspirational hard worker and performance during an ORSE
•   Lean Zealot Award - For reducing operation cost by $400,000 and increasing efficiency
•   2 Navy Achievement Medals –For inspirational work performance and technical expertise
•   2 Admiral Letters - For watch standing, technical knowledge, and superior attention to detail

Work Experience
•   Supervise personnel at a valve repair shop, engine room, and manufacturing plant
•   Supervise and Perform routine and corrective maintenance of plant equipment
•   Quality Assurance inspector who can write and review work packages
•   Anticipate plant conditions and change PLC controls as necessary
•   Assist in scheduling, coordinating, and performing maintenance
•   Startup and shut down of power plant and extrusion equipment
•   Monitor and perform drills as part of drill team and responder
•   Monitor quantity of chemicals consumed to make product
•   Monitor and maintain all required data logs and records
•   Ensure all personnel comply with all applicable policies
•   Aggressively maintain a safe working environment
•   Train shift on daily and monthly safety meetings
•   Hydrostatically test valves, pipes, and systems
•   Maintain First aid/CPR certification
•   Operate forklifts and cranes

Employment Chronology
•   Lead Operator – North American Pipe, Yucca AZ – Feb 2009 – Present
•   Salesman – K-mart, Lake Havasu City, AZ, Oct 2008 – Feb 2009
•   Delivery Driver – Papa Johns –, Houston, TX – May 2008 – Oct 2008
•   Loan Officer – First Option Mortgage, Houston, TX– Feb 2008-May 2008
•   MM1(SS) Nuclear Technician –  US Navy – Dec 1999 to Feb 2008(EAOS)
•   Operator –  Hill Crest Water – Mar 1999 to Dec 1999
•   Salesman – Radio Shack – Feb 1998 to Mar 1999
•   Salesman –  Builder’s Mart – Dec 1991 to Aug 1995 and May 1997 to Feb 1998

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2012, 05:52 by Dstealth »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Jun 04, 2012, 11:46 »
That one looks cleaner.... But when I 'read' it, I just zipped down, and didn't stop to read and absorb it.  The prior version got me to stop and read the navy and pipe company jobs.  Maybe a combination of the two.

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Jun 07, 2012, 08:04 »
Here is a combination of the two resumes.  I honestly believe this is the format that I now like the best.  For any position I apply for I can simply change the Work Experience title and only list the relevant experience.  The only thing missing is a "skills" section; however, I feel (and correct me if I am wrong) that the skills can be displayed under each work experience section.  This would display that not only I have the skill, but where I used and acquired it from.  Again for every position the bullets change to describe how I am qualified for the job.

Thank you all again for the advice!

Objective: An experienced nuclear mechanical technician/operator seeking work at a nuclear facility.

Education/Training
•   Bachelors of Science in Technical Management – Devry University–Graduate June 2012
•   Nuclear Technician – Nuclear Power Prototype Training – Ballston Spa, NY - Graduated June 2001
•   Electrical Engineering – University of Wyoming –39 Credits attended 1995 to 1997
•   High School Diploma – Kelly Walsh High School – Graduated May 1995
Awards
•   Dean’s list for a 4.0 GPA
•   Honorman certificate - Issued for highest math grade in Nuclear Mechanic ‘A’ school
•   Academic excellence certificate from the Director of Power School
•   Captain Letter - For inspirational hard work and performance during an ORSE
•   Lean Zealot Award - For reducing operation cost by $400,000 and increasing efficiency
•   2 Navy Achievement Medals –For inspirational work performance and technical expertise
•   2 Admiral Letters - For watch standing, technical knowledge, and superior attention to detail
Work Experience
US – Navy experience
•   Operate boilers, turbines, generators, pumps, PLC controls, and valves
•   Startup and shut down of power plant Reactor, Steam, Lubrication, and Hydraulic systems
•   Operate Air conditioners; EPA certified; Operate Chill water system
•   Perform maintenance on Reactor and Engine room equipment;
•   Monitor equipment such as condensers, hotwells, heat exchangers, steam generators, and tanks
•   Procedural compliance with ability to receive and execute orders from supervisor
•   Quality Assurance inspector; write work packages and tag out equipment
•   Assist in scheduling, coordinating, and performing maintenance
•   Monitor and perform drills as part of drill team and responder
•   Hydrostatically test valves, pipes, and systems
•   Supervise personnel at a valve repair shop

North American Pipe Corp experience
•   Supervise personnel at a manufacturing plant
•   Anticipate plant conditions and change PLC controls as necessary
•   Ensure all personnel comply with all applicable safety policies
•   Aggressively maintain a safe working environment
•   Train shift on daily and monthly safety meetings
•   Maintain First aid/CPR certification
•   Operate forklifts and cranes
•   Operate Air conditioners; Operate Chill Water System; Operate Vacuum Systems
•   Monitor quantity of chemicals consumed to make product
•   Write procedures for operators
•   Hydrostatic test all pipe produced

Employment Chronology
•   Lead Operator – North American Pipe, Yucca AZ – Feb 2009 – Present
•   Salesman – K-mart, Lake Havasu City, AZ – Oct 2008 – Feb 2009
•   Delivery Driver – Papa Johns –, Houston, TX – May 2008 – Oct 2008
•   First Option Mortgage – Loan Officer, Houston, TX– Feb 2008-May 2008
•   MM1 (SS) Mechanical Nuclear Technician – US Navy – USA – Dec 1999 to Feb 2008(EAOS)
•   Operator – Hill Crest Water – Casper, WY – Mar 1999 to Dec 1999
•   Salesman – Radio Shack – Casper, WY – Feb 1998 to Mar 1999
•   Salesman – Builder’s Mart – Casper, WY – Dec 1991 to Aug 1995 and May 1997 to Feb 1998
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 02:29 by Dstealth »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Jun 07, 2012, 10:53 »
I like it.

Fermi2

« Reply #56 on: Jun 07, 2012, 11:50 »
What exactly is an inspirational hard worker?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #57 on: Jun 07, 2012, 11:53 »

here's three;

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #58 on: Jun 07, 2012, 01:10 »
Ah three of my favorite ladies in the entire world!

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #59 on: Jun 07, 2012, 04:37 »
Yes that should have been inspirational hard work.  Edited it.  Upon request I can always show the documentation that would explain that award; on a resume it would be too long to explain.

Fermi2

« Reply #60 on: Jun 08, 2012, 10:47 »
No one will give a flying F if you can prove it. Your resume is the knock on the door that someone answers. Put examples, not BS Navy terms.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #61 on: Jun 08, 2012, 12:53 »
Why isn't there a single complete, grammatically correct sentence on the resume?

Since when is reactor, steam, lubrication and hydraulics proper nouns?

You stopped working for the Navy in feb 2008..., why put EAOS? What does that mean?

How does one "aggressively" maintain a safe working environment? If someone isn't wearing PPE, do you punch them in the face?

Justin
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 12:53 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #62 on: Jun 08, 2012, 01:45 »
Why isn't there a single complete, grammatically correct sentence on the resume?

Since when is reactor, steam, lubrication and hydraulics proper nouns?

You stopped working for the Navy in feb 2008..., why put EAOS? What does that mean?

How does one "aggressively" maintain a safe working environment? If someone isn't wearing PPE, do you punch them in the face?

Justin

Thank you!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #63 on: Jun 08, 2012, 03:34 »
I think it would be better if your Objective was a little longer. I would suggest at least two complete sentences.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #64 on: Jun 09, 2012, 02:20 »
I think it would be better if your Objective was a little longer. I would suggest at least two complete sentences.

There is also the school of thought that says any 'Objective' is a waste of time...your objective is obviously to get the job you are submitting for...?  Just something I've read.  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #65 on: Jun 09, 2012, 12:17 »
   Dstealth the MK 48 torpedo was designed in the 60s and was not deployed until the 70s because there were continuous improvements available and being implemented. It was not deployed until the Soviets launched the Alpha class submarines and this cycle of upgrades was stopped and the torpedo delivered to the fleet. If the job you want is coming up I think you may want to consider resume deployment. There is no one right way to write your resume unless you are appling at BZs plant (just put nuclear janitor and he will be happy  [devious] ). You may end up writing a number of different resumes to fit each employer you can deploy the ADCAP then Mod 7 as you progress in your search. There will be someone who will not like your resume even when the last one loved it. But yes do use spell check and proper syntax.

Fermi2

« Reply #66 on: Jun 09, 2012, 12:22 »
Marlin just gave excellent advice. No one will be completely happy with your resume, however I still advise you leave stuff out like Aggressively pursued, or inspired others, or inspirational hard work. They'll be tagged as BS right away. Keep it relevant and performance based.

My view, words like that mean the guy really did nothing and has no proof he can help performance. They're great for the Nuclear Navy Janitorial world. Not great for the real world.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #67 on: Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 »
Just beware of those Nuclear Janitors!

http://www.local8now.com/news/headlines/38328884.html?storySection=story

East Tennessee janitor pleads guilty in nuclear parts theft
Roy Lynn Oakley

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A former janitor accused of trying to sell broken nuclear weapons equipment from a shuttered Tennessee facility has pleaded guilty.

Roy Lynn Oakley pleaded guilty Monday to one count of disclosure of restricted data before a federal District Court judge in Knoxville.

Under the plea agreement, he will serve six years in prison and three years of supervised release.

Authorities said Oakley was a contract worker at the former K-25 uranium enrichment plant in Oak Ridge when he was arrested in 2007 after offering the gear to an undercover agent. Prosecutors say Oakley took home classified equipment he was supposed to be destroying and tried to sell it to the French government.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2012, 02:50 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #68 on: Jun 12, 2012, 03:48 »
I will rewrite the resume sometime next week.  I am not ignoring this thread; however, it is final week in college and I need to devote my attention there.  I do appreciate all of the feedback.

Thank you

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #69 on: Jun 22, 2012, 08:56 »
I stumbled upon this article today and it made me think of this thread. I guess you could take it for what it is worth.

There is also the school of thought that says any 'Objective' is a waste of time...your objective is obviously to get the job you are submitting for...?  Just something I've read.  :)
Point taken.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-things-leave-off-resume-131401267.html
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012, 08:57 by ksheed12 »

Offline Dstealth

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 »
It's been a while from my last post.  I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me with this resume.  I did get hired from it.  However; as I am sure you have all heard Kewaunee Power Station is now closing.  So I am job hunting again. 

I think this thread will help others as I know of some people who have not written resumes for 10+ years.

Offline avancouw

• Very Lite User
« Reply #71 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:40 »
Some of you have seen my recent post. I've read all 3 pages of this thread; I've got one comment and one question.

I HATE bullets. Paragraphs are quite all right. I do not penalize for either method provided the information is relevant.

This seems like a big coin-flip. HR departments that read and interpret welcome a coherent dialogue in a resume; to these people bullets will seem lazy and scattered. HR departments that screen and scan will almost certainly trashcan a resume that has to be read in paragraphs.

The question is, how do I guess which is appropriate? I suppose bullets and short precise statements are safest, but sometimes I want to appeal to the guy reading carefully.

Nuke recruiters will like to see what you've done for at least ten years with no gaps.

Now, this is a problem. I was ill and it put me in an unstable state for about a year while dealing with the VA. Working was simply out of the question.

I feel there's no good way to even bring it up in a resume. I also feel like leaving a 1 year gap at the end of my employment history is shooting myself in the foot. I think my best option right now is to end the gap in employment history with something, anything.  Does that seem reasonable? I'll cashier at Kohl's over the holiday if I have to. I'm working on that, too.

I ask because since my last posting I've been asked for my resume a number of times, all by people interested in training a transmission operator (or similar). That 1 year gap at the end of my empoyment history makes me cringe, and I find myself wondering if most of these will even get a call-back. I still can't imagine explaining what I've been doing for the last year on paper. I'd need to explain it on the phone.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 09:45 by avancouw »

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #72 on: Dec 01, 2012, 09:12 »
I have used bullets on my resume and had good luck with that.  If the use of bullets is direct and to the point (relevant) it is fine (in my book).

A tactic for when you have a gap in time is to use sections that describe your skillset then after that list your employers and timeframes.  For your year gap you can put "resolving a medical condition (if that is accurate).  When my wife went back into the workforce after a few years not working that was effective for her.

Offline avancouw

• Very Lite User
« Reply #73 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:29 »
A tactic for when you have a gap in time is to use sections that describe your skillset then after that list your employers and timeframes.

This is exactly what I had done, thanks for the confirmation. They call it a "functional" resume, I suppose, which just means - focus on what you bring to the table first.

For your year gap you can put "resolving a medical condition (if that is accurate).  When my wife went back into the workforce after a few years not working that was effective for her.

Thanks for the input, that's a great way to put it.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012, 11:30 by avancouw »

Fermi2

« Reply #74 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:08 »
Uh HR isn't who is going to screen your resume at a nuke plant.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?