Career Path > Resume & Interview

Resume Advice

<< < (18/19) > >>

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: mikec426 on Sep 03, 2013, 05:55 ---I've got a good handle on how to put my Navy experience on a resume, but what about AO experience?  Been at VY for 3 years, so I've only got 2 years as a qualified operator.   Hoping to get on as an AO somewhere else.  What do they want to see?  How many outages I've done?  Whether or not I've been disqualified?

--- End quote ---

I'm sure you have already read the Nuclear Operator section and the rest of the resume section threads before you replied here.  I just wanted to mention it in case you had not.  I have no operator experience myself, so I can not offer any help other than that.  Sit tight, some one will be along shortly to offer some advice.  We have a LOT of operators around here.

wagnerag:
Definitely don't put that you've ever been disqualified lol. Just put your duties and responsibilities. The things you did on a day to day basis, the people and groups you interacted with, things you trended and reported on, ya know, thing like that.

Ksheed:
I always thought that the one page resume didn't really work in the Nuke Industry anyways.

"In the past, job candidates were often told to keep their resumes to a page, and only go over if they were well into their careers with a lot of experience to share. As it becomes less common for people to stay with one or two employers throughout their careers and online applications become more prevalent, that advice is outdated and irrelevant, says Kenneth Johnson, president of East Coast Executives."

http://career-services.monster.com/yahooarticle/common-career-advice-to-ignore#WT.mc_n=yta_fpt_article_ignore_common_career_advice

Roll Tide:
I am willing to bet if you are an AO at VY, I would know 90% of your job from my OPS experience. Do not describe each pump you check ready to start. But make sure you explain the 10% of your job that would be different from the industry norm. For example, a small single unit site sometimes has AOs do jobs that would be done my Maintenance or another group at larger sites.
Then address your best accolades from VY as an AO. And relax, you have a great answer on "Why do you want to leave your current job?" that will not draw any unwanted attention.

And for the record, I have 19 years commercial experience (SRO, RO, AO, NRRPT), a B.S. degree earned while in the Navy, and 12 years Navy experience, but I can still fit my "resume summary" on a single sheet. I only call it a summary because I have a longer version for those that want extra details. Nobody cares which subs I was on; everything I served on is now razor blades!

Marlin:

--- Quote from: ksheed12 on May 14, 2014, 02:10 ---I always thought that the one page resume didn't really work in the Nuke Industry anyways.

"In the past, job candidates were often told to keep their resumes to a page, and only go over if they were well into their careers with a lot of experience to share. As it becomes less common for people to stay with one or two employers throughout their careers and online applications become more prevalent, that advice is outdated and irrelevant, says Kenneth Johnson, president of East Coast Executives."

http://career-services.monster.com/yahooarticle/common-career-advice-to-ignore#WT.mc_n=yta_fpt_article_ignore_common_career_advice

--- End quote ---

Resumes need to be focused for most positions especially for in house, but it is hard to keep a resume to one page for job shoppers whose titles may not reflect your actual responsibilities and accomplishments. I frequently add one or two experience and highlight boxes that provide a bulletized synopsis. I got this from a resume writer that massaged my resume for a bid proposal and have kept that general format ever since. Resumes should reflect who you are targeting, one size does not fit all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version