Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SSBN vs. SSN  

Author Topic: SSBN vs. SSN  (Read 47695 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: SSBN vs. SSN
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:45 »
This week I am Radiation Protection, though it was Radcon last month.  ;)

I am considering going back into OPS.

I hate to admit this, but Sand Lance was in much better shape than the old SSBN I had been on. J.C. Calhoun was in mighty sad shape by her last patrol. M.G.Vallejo was in sad shape for her last one, but not nearly as bad as Calhoun.

I walked into a Napa Auto Parts store in St. Mary's GA and asked if they had a boot similar to the sample I handed them. They asked what it was from, and I replied the Main Lube Oil system of a 627 class SSBN. The standard reply was, "Did you call earlier?"  (A custom modification on a plunger suited quite well, and the MPA made me promise not to tell the CO or ENG where we got it!)
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2004, 01:59 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

WXMel

« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2005, 02:16 »
So Boomers are generally more conducive to living a more normal family life while in the Navy, correct?

Where are people on Boomers typically stationed?  Isn't it either Georgia or Washington?  Is it pretty easy for spouses to find work in those areas?  Also, when preffing what kind of sub/ship one wants to be on, how often do the "needs of the Navy" coincide with that person's top choice?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:14 »
So Boomers are generally more conducive to living a more normal family life while in the Navy, correct?

Where are people on Boomers typically stationed?  Isn't it either Georgia or Washington?  Is it pretty easy for spouses to find work in those areas?  Also, when preffing what kind of sub/ship one wants to be on, how often do the "needs of the Navy" coincide with that person's top choice?

More conducive, not normal!  ;)

St. Mary's, GA and Bremerton, WA are the Trident bases. Anything else for a Trident would be overhaul shipyard.
St. Mary's is very rural southeast GA coast, but within commuting distance of northern Jacksonville, FL. With 4 sons, I never asked my wife if she wanted to work outside the home........

First assignment is almost a roulette wheel random chance of first choice with the detailer. Subsequent sea tours are much more negotiable.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RCLCPO

« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2005, 12:32 »
Boomers in Washington are actually in Bangor (Navy Base Kitsap), a short drive north of Bremerton (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard).  For orders to a boomer, or anywhere else desirable, it goes like this:  the top performers get first pick.  It's one incentive to always do your best.

For example, if 100 people in a class want to go to a boomer, but there are only 80 positions available, who gets them?  Folks are sorted by gpa.  If all the boomer spots are full before they get to your gpa, guess what?  Welcome to the fast-boat fleet.  See my other posting here for my opinions on each.  Having been on 3 fast boats and 1 boomer, I can at least discuss both with some authority. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?