Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO AO annual exam
honeypot

Author Topic: NLO AO annual exam  (Read 6490 times)

Offline NLO440

• Very Lite User
NLO AO annual exam
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:44 »
I've been an NLO (AO to some) for a few years, and my station is going to be instituting an annual exam, oral boards, and evaluated job performance measures. Not a big deal, just wondering if anybody out there already does this at the NLO AO level. I would like to know what your opinions are, pros and cons, and if you receive a bonus for passing. I have heard some stations give a bonus for this, and hey, the more money the more better ;D. Thanks.

Offline cypher89

• Very Lite User
Re: NLO AO annual exam
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:07 »
Ours has for as long as I have worked there.  Oral boards have come in the last few years with watch station qualification.  No bonus for the annual exam only for Hazmat and Fire Brigade qualifications.  Tests and JPM format follows the licensed operator testing so its good in getting people used to it for going on to licensed training.  However it is more chances for failure and remediation as well.

Offline NLO440

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04 »
Bonus for HAZMAT and Fire Brigade? Thats great. It now has me wondering what additional compensation is out there for NLO/AO's? At my plant, we get nothing. No additional bonuses for additional quals. Are we getting robbed?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17 »
Bonus for HAZMAT and Fire Brigade? Thats great. It now has me wondering what additional compensation is out there for NLO/AO's? At my plant, we get nothing. No additional bonuses for additional quals. Are we getting robbed?

Given you are getting paid a good wage NO you are not getting robbed.

As for extra quals, what does your job description say?

Offline NLO440

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2012, 07:33 »
I know what my job description says. Just comparing my plant with others as we have individuals that do not wish to be fire brigade members due to their age. Thinking we should make it an option and pay accordingly, as there would be additional requirements. I also wanted to know if NLO's get bonuses for passing an annual exam, I know licensed people do. Does that mean they are not happy with their wage? I never complained about my wage. Thanks for your SRO response to a question that has nothing to do with SRO's. Your insight was meaningless.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2012, 08:48 »
Not an SRO response. It was an adult response. I simply want to know how you are being robbed? I know a LOT of very qualified people who would do your job for half the money and feel they are being adequately paid.

Given Perry is a union plant and you are a union operator working under an agreement your union negotiated how can you even imply anyone has robbed you?

Offline NLO440

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2012, 05:13 »
O.K. I'll take that. I should not have used the word robbed. I make a decent living and am thankful for that. What I should have said was "Are there opportunites to better structure our organization and contract to be more in line with what works best in the industry?" We have a contract that expires in a year and a half and would like to see it more usable for both the operators and the company. When the NLO position entered the union, we fell under the contract from the utility workers which doesn't work well for us or the company. One reason why I would like to gather as much info as I can. I appreciate the feedback.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:23 »
O.K. I'll take that. I should not have used the word robbed. I make a decent living and am thankful for that. What I should have said was "Are there opportunites to better structure our organization and contract to be more in line with what works best in the industry?" We have a contract that expires in a year and a half and would like to see it more usable for both the operators and the company. When the NLO position entered the union, we fell under the contract from the utility workers which doesn't work well for us or the company. One reason why I would like to gather as much info as I can. I appreciate the feedback.

Ah so you are benchmarking :)

And I did understand your real point. Fire Brigade is a huge deal which involves significant initial and requal training. It should be taken into account with your pay.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2012, 06:25 by Broadzilla »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?