Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO self study?

Author Topic: NLO self study?  (Read 5897 times)

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
NLO self study?
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:44 »
So for those of you who don't know from a few of my previous posts, I'm getting out early next year, MM, qualified EWS since ~2006, have BSNET from Excelsior. The plant I want to work for (Byron Gen. Station in IL) is hiring an NLO class in February of next year. I don't really have any idea when in February, but the problem is the earliest I will be able to go on terminal leave is March 8th, 2013. I've heard from some people (I think it might have been on this site or talking with some others I work with here in Ballston Spa) that they will allow some people with prior experience (military or commercial) to do some self study to catch up to the class if there's a reasonable amount of time. So my question is can anyone let me know if they've seen this occur and/or if they know if Exelon has a history of allowing this?

My second question, does anyone who works at Byron know a more accurate date on when their next class will start?

Thanks for any info

P.S. I want to work at that plant because I have family and friends in the area but I'm really willing to go to any plant in the Upper Midwest and a few other locations.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: NLO self study?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29 »
I've not personally heard of this, but if any company would do it, it'd be Exelon. However, I have to ask, if they can fill a class with people that can start on their terms, why would they hire someone that has to "catch up?" Again, I'm not saying they don't do that, I'm just wondering WHY they would do that.

Good luck.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51 »
Yea I had pretty much had the same thought. A few people PM'd me in response to this saying they've seen it happen quite often. All I gotta say is thank god I have a back up plan of applying anywhere that has an NLO class and/ or for any job I am qualified for and then some.

Thanks for the input Higgs and others.

Josh

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05 »
Ah well that's good to know. Hope it works out.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2012, 07:07 »
FWIW at my utility (which is not Exelon) the class start times always end up delayed from original estimates.  Perhaps Exelon is different, but it could work out in your favor.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:38 »
FWIW at my utility (which is not Exelon) the class start times always end up delayed from original estimates.  Perhaps Exelon is different, but it could work out in your favor.

TVA?

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2012, 03:49 »
I'm currently in the EO Initial class at Exelon's Peach Bottom site and we've got a guy that started a few weeks after the rest of us did. He's a former licensed operator here though, so he had that going for him. We're also a non-union plant so I'm guessing that that made things easier too.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?