Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trouble finding I&C tech info honeypot

Author Topic: Trouble finding I&C tech info  (Read 14630 times)

Offline mspack09

• Very Lite User
Trouble finding I&C tech info
« on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:16 »
Hello, I've been searching this site and google for a while and can't seem to find much information on I&C techs.  I'm trying to answer some pre screening questions for a company and they want to know an expected salary for an entry level I&C tech position, as well as a 5 year plan.  Does anyone have any information on the average salary for the position, as well as what the career path looks like? Thank you for your time.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
Re: Trouble finding I&C tech info
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:23 »
Fully qualified tech ~$40/hour.  Most movement I've seen is to I&C supervisor or I&C planner, although a union I&C tech appears to be a hard job to let go...

Offline mspack09

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:27 »
Thank you for your quick response.  Do you know approximately how long it takes to go through each step to becoming fully qualified and then a supervisor?  I was a Nuke ET so I have a lot to learn in the commercial field.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:34 »
I could guess, but it would really have no basis.  All I can say it's a great gig if you can get it straight out of the navy.  Gotta pass the MASS or EEI first I believe.  Heard some of my ET shipmates had problems with that...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:21 »
(My observations working for ENTERGY, not an I&C tech)

I&C takes TECH test, not the MASS. If you can't pass the TECH, you have no business in the nuclear field anyway. It's the easiest EEI test by far.

At union Entergy plants, IC techs started mid 20's, capped out low 30's. Job rotation you start as a "3", spend a year or two working, you move up accordingly. After 6 years or so you would become a "1" or "1/C" depending on where you worked.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:41 »
At the Useta Plant, we started at around $32/hour and topped out around $40/hour.  It was a five year progression, but people with previous experience or education were usually brought in at mid-scale.

Once you were fully qualified, you could stay in the shop forever...or try to move over to management or planning.  They were hurting for supervisors, so that was a pretty easy move to make.  I think someone was going to have to retire for a planner's job to ever open up.

Good luck.   :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2012, 09:41 »
(My observations working for ENTERGY, not an I&C tech)

I&C takes TECH test, not the MASS. If you can't pass the TECH, you have no business in the nuclear field anyway. It's the easiest EEI test by far.

At union Entergy plants, IC techs started mid 20's, capped out low 30's. Job rotation you start as a "3", spend a year or two working, you move up accordingly. After 6 years or so you would become a "1" or "1/C" depending on where you worked.

Charlie has been to 1 Entergy plant... in the South.... last I heard he wasn't there any more.

at MY Entergy plant... in the North, an I&C Tech (union) starts just below 30, finishes at 40+ after 6 years, with a jump halfway. Planner is another couple bucks, seniority based for selection. Southern Entergy is a different animal (regulated) and the pay is different, usually lower. Cost of living is also... MY Entergy plant is on the low scale for up North, by a buck or two.

Many of the I&C techs work plenty of OT, and are competent, respected workers. Couple of them are wicked smart. Few leave the dept, most seem happy, except when OT is forced.

Goodluck.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:22 »
Charlie has been to 1 Entergy plant... in the South.... last I heard he wasn't there any more.

at MY Entergy plant... in the North, an I&C Tech (union) starts just below 30, finishes at 40+ after 6 years, with a jump halfway. Planner is another couple bucks, seniority based for selection. Southern Entergy is a different animal (regulated) and the pay is different, usually lower. Cost of living is also... MY Entergy plant is on the low scale for up North, by a buck or two.

Many of the I&C techs work plenty of OT, and are competent, respected workers. Couple of them are wicked smart. Few leave the dept, most seem happy, except when OT is forced.

Goodluck.

You're right, I shouldn't spoken so carte blanche about it. Waterford pays a little better, but they aren't unionized either. AK1 and GG were akin to RBS from what I recall. 

Entergy in general seems to pay low-to-mid compared to other utilities, almost across the board. Exelon paid significantly higher final wages from what I saw runnin around these past few months.

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2012, 11:47 »

AK1 and GG were akin to RBS from what I recall. 

AK1??  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!  When did Entergy build a site in frigging Alaska?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2012, 12:21 »
AK1??  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!  When did Entergy build a site in frigging Alaska?

Oh literal larry, lets take this simple typo and blow it out of proportion lol.  I ALWAYS mess that up for some reason.

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2012, 12:25 »
Oh literal larry, lets take this simple typo and blow it out of proportion lol.  I ALWAYS mess that up for some reason.

So it was a mistake, not a simple typo.  It is OK to say you made a mistake.  I still remember when I made one back in 1975.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2012, 12:37 »
[OT]

You're right, I shouldn't spoken so carte blanche about it , as usual.  AK1 and GG were akin to RBS from what I recall.  

AK1??  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!  When did Entergy build a site in frigging Alaska?  

Easy mistake when you spend enough time around the nearby folks (LA), they generally miss the 'R' and it comes out as Acansaw.  It also happens when you don't think first!   [devious] [whistle]

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2012, 03:35 »
[OT]
 It also happens when you don't think first!   [devious] [whistle]

lol Ill give you that one :p

Matt :

"Typo : A typographical mistake; an error in typed or typeset material"

custom iphone 4,4s case

wtfits?! lol

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2012, 04:08 »

Matt :

"Typo : A typographical mistake; an error in typed or typeset material"

You did not mistype the letters, you chose the wrong letters to type.  What you did was not a typo, it was an error (mistake).  Most folks would consider typos to be random occurrences, usually caused by schedule pressure or fat fingers.  You proclaimed to make this error every time.

I ALWAYS mess that up for some reason.

Maybe the reason is that you simply do not know the postal abbreviation for Arkansas is AR or the commonly used abbreviation for Arkansas Nuclear One is ANO.  It could be that subconsciously you just do not like AR and wish it were farther away from you, say as far away as AK.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 04:10 by Safety Matt »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2012, 11:47 »
You did not mistype the letters, you chose the wrong letters to type.  What you did was not a typo, it was an error (mistake).  Most folks would consider typos to be random occurrences, usually caused by schedule pressure or fat fingers.  You proclaimed to make this error every time.

Maybe the reason is that you simply do not know the postal abbreviation for Arkansas is AR or the commonly used abbreviation for Arkansas Nuclear One is ANO.  It could be that subconsciously you just do not like AR and wish it were farther away from you, say as far away as AK.

hahaha  take it easy dr phil....    I don't subconsciously dislike AR, I consciously dislike AR. :p

[hijack] [OT] [train]

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2012, 05:29 »
hahaha  take it easy dr phil....    I don't subconsciously dislike AR, I consciously dislike AR. :p

[hijack] [OT] [train]

And..... Arkansas does not like you... laughs...

drayer54

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:44 »

Love my ma, love my pa
But I just love ole Arkansas!

It's nice there  ( minus the meth filled parts of the Ozarks) . ANO was high on my wish list for geographic reasons.

Our I&C techs make about a buck less an hour than an op.

Good luck.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:22 »

I have jokes.... but they are not appropriate ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?