Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Appearance/ Dress Codes

Author Topic: Appearance/ Dress Codes  (Read 10290 times)

Offline taf90

• Very Lite User
Appearance/ Dress Codes
« on: Jun 10, 2012, 10:48 »
This is my first time posting here. I am currently in the Navy nuclear training pipeline, as a machinist mate. I obviously have a very clean appearance now, but before the Navy, I had an alternative style: Small (10-12) gauges, tattoos, dyed hair... I was wondering what the civilian nuke world's stance on that was. Would it be acceptable to have ear piercings? Dyed hair? Tattoos can be covered, and would be covered by my work clothes, but the piercings and hair would be harder to hide.

ArthurRyan

Re: Appearance/ Dress Codes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2012, 11:32 »
Depends on what you'll be doing.  Pretty much the same rules apply in the civilian world as the military.  As far as the very clean appearance goes.  Especially if you will be wearing a respirator on a daily bases, because you need to have a good seal.  Tattoos should not matter.  Wear long sleeves to the interview.  When you say dyed hair... what are we talking pink, green, orange?  Might want to wait till you get the job first?!  You can wear the gauges to work, just not at work.  Once you have the job, I'd ease back in to the alternative life style, at work anyway.  You will find that the industry is filled with the "GOOD OH BOY NETWORK."  They don't like different.       

Thank you for your service,
Good luck to you sir.         
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 11:44 by ArthurRyan »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 »
This is my first time posting here. I am currently in the Navy nuclear training pipeline, as a machinist mate. I obviously have a very clean appearance now, but before the Navy, I had an alternative style: Small (10-12) gauges, tattoos, dyed hair... I was wondering what the civilian nuke world's stance on that was. Would it be acceptable to have ear piercings? Dyed hair? Tattoos can be covered, and would be covered by my work clothes, but the piercings and hair would be harder to hide.

Let's plan on you growing up and not needing to dye your hair or wear piercings to stand out by then. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2012, 10:07 »
As a good libertarian I encourage you to do whatever you wish with your body, hair, ears, clothes, and nose. I also hope that you will allow employers that same freedom if they decide that your appearance makes you a bad for for their organization. For good or for bad people judge you on how you choose to present yourself to the world. 

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:00 »
To add to this, both for your current employer (the US Navy) and any future employer.

You are a representative for that organization.  When you go out in public, you are issuing a statement about the company/group/organization that employs you.  Also, whether they be fair or not, judgment is made about both your ability to safely and efficiently do your job based on your appearance.  Again, right or wrong is irrelevant.  Human psychology is making people pass judgment constantly.

As for now, adhere to the 2 rules i used to tell all my sailors. (these can get you far in the outside as well)

1.  Show up on time.
2.  Do what you're told.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:09 »
1.  Show up on time.
2.  Do what you're told.

3. Don't bitch about it/ complain all the time.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2012, 11:10 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:18 »
This is my first time posting here. I am currently in the Navy nuclear training pipeline,.....

Get through where you are now,...

Your civilian nuke career is nowhere near assured yet,...

Come back in four to five years and ask again prior to your EAOS,...

Those years may be all you need to already know the answer,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2012, 12:44 »
Get through where you are now,...

Your civilian nuke career is nowhere near assured yet,...

Come back in four to five years and ask again prior to your EAOS,...

Those years may be all you need to already know the answer,...

Also consider that in four or five years you may not feel the need to dress like that. People change over time. Cross that bridge when you get to it.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:35 »
Also consider that in four or five years you may not feel the need to dress like that. People change over time. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

You may even decide to cut your hair.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:37 »
You may even decide to cut your hair.

What?!!! NEVER!!!.......oh, wait.....
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline taf90

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2012, 09:27 »
Thank you for all the replies! I know that time might very well change me. And I also know that any employer can judge me based on my appearance, which is precisely why I would want to ask about what is generally acceptable. If it comes down to just having to cover things up, that is fine and I won't complain.

And to all of those who thanked me for your service, I thank you for your support.  :)

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:36 »
Thank you for all the replies! I know that time might very well change me. And I also know that any employer can judge me based on my appearance, which is precisely why I would want to ask about what is generally acceptable. If it comes down to just having to cover things up, that is fine and I won't complain.

And to all of those who thanked me for your service, I thank you for your support.  :)

Really good answer. Impressive.

Now just handle what's immediately in front of you. Worry about the rest in 5 years or so. Just remember this, ALWAYS learn more than what you believe your job entails. It will help you in the Navy and it will make you a more viable candidate for the big leagues when you get out.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?