Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's Your best excuse for being late? honeypot

Poll

What's your best excuse for coming in late?

Alarm clock broke/didn't go off.
18 (26.1%)
Car trouble.
7 (10.1%)
Running Late.
9 (13%)
Too Tired to care.
3 (4.3%)
Just plain lazy.
5 (7.2%)
Other.
16 (23.2%)
Family stuff.(new option)
11 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What's Your best excuse for being late?  (Read 76514 times)

greengoo

What's Your best excuse for being late?
« on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:26 »
I've used options 3 and 4 often, they are usually honest too.  My habits have since changed.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2004, 12:01 by Rennhack »

Austria

Re: Poll: What's Your best excuse for being late?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2004, 01:22 »
Once told my supervisor that I simply slept through my alarm and that's why I was late. His reply, apparently expecting some great adventure excuse was...."that's all?"
So I explained that I was really kidnapped by aliens and taken to their spaceship for 6 months but when they returned me to Earth it was only an hour later. "That's more like it", he said smiling and walked off.  :D

TK

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2004, 05:50 »
Ferret ate my alarm clock in the middle of the night. True story.

Offline Melissa White

• Light User
  • It just doesn't get any better than this!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2004, 06:38 »
How about the best excuse for not coming in...ever..

Something like: Hate you, mean it, I'm not coming in for the rest of my life...dfr.  Something like that. ;)

Doc_REM

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2004, 04:04 »
I didn't use this one, but it's a CLASSIC...
I have a problem with my butt...it's stuck to a bar stool! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:18 »
Wife was ovulating. Wanted a baby.
God, I can relate to that.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:54 »
I wouldn't have the b*lls to try this:

A co-worker, who was supposed to work the night shift after a seven-day break, called in to work that afternoon, while on a trans-Atlantic flight returning from Europe. Thought we'd all be impressed that he was using the Airphone to call the plant.

duder2112

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:57 »
The old 'flat tire ' has come up a few times. A former co-worker's grandmother (the same one) passed away 3 times in an 18 month period(I know this one's off-topic but c'mon).  My personal fave is sleeping through the alarm.

sundevil

Re: What's Your best excuse for being late?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:41 »
Well the best excuse I have ever heard was by a Tech who called in and said he was dead. Later at another time the same tach called in and told the station Tech that there was only 13 duck billed platypus in the world and one of them just crashed landed in his front yard and that he would not be in because he had to take it to the vet. As for myself I just ended up being so hung over I ended up calling in late and then sick on a day that I had Vacation.

allforthenukie

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:37 »
Don't know if this one counts since it is true and not made up.
Caught up in post 911 security checkpoint backups and traffic jams. When I get to site boundary 20 mins early and still am late for work, quite the cluster.  :P Has happened to me several times.

doctormoo

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:17 »
how about this one
my eyes hurt and i can see to get there

had a major migrane and was at the hospital
the doctor had just given me a shot of morphine
the supervisor from work came and took me home
pre-ffd

another one was when i was at pallisades 20 years ago
my car was blown off the road and into a ditch by a gust of wind off the lake it was mid winter and about 5 degrees outside
ended up at a diary farm staying warm pushing manure for the farmer while he milked the cows
it was warmer there than in the farmers office

took a long time to live that one down

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:26 »
Don't know if this one counts since it is true and not made up.
Caught up in post 911 security checkpoint backups and traffic jams. When I get to site boundary 20 mins early and still am late for work, quite the cluster.  :P Has happened to me several times.

I'll vouch for that excuse. Since9/11, I don't think I have used any other. ::)
(+Karma Nukie)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline stirfry

• Moderate User
  • It's an O.K. World
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:44 »
How bout this one.......

I just woke up ..... Nothing in this room looks familiar, and as soon as I find my Vehicle I will be in ..... If not i'm Sick.........

True story
YA gotta be SOMEWHERE

JIMBOMAFF

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:59 »
I had to stop and get donuts. :P

greengoo

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2004, 12:43 »
Nothing is off topic here.  As long as it relates to any aspect of lateness.  Stirfry, I can relate.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:26 »
I had to stop and get donuts. :P

I can relate, I called in late and was told: " You better bring in donuts then"
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 07:40 »
Hell, I got a gazillion of them, ask my last couple of bosses, and for the record, 95% of them were true!  And to make it more fun, if I have a new excuse then it doesn't count against me!  However, honesty has gotten me in deep poop with this issue!  And, of course, the old payment has been thrown to the wayside, what happened to the good ole days when if you were late you had to bring donuts?!  (I'd be obese!)  That is an old trait that needs to make a reappearance!  I'm doing my part to try, thank god Duncan Donuts is right on my way!

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 07:44 »
How about the best excuse for not coming in...ever..

Something like: Hate you, mean it, I'm not coming in for the rest of my life...dfr.  Something like that. ;)

Hell, the best "quit" I've ever seen was the girl just ran up to the gate and threw her badge over,.....gone.....

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 05:04 »
Come in late? Why?
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

cpottsjr

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 09:38 »
With all us old farts out here, I'm really surprised someone hasn't taken/mentioned my best one  ---  at the hospital being checked out for a heart attack!  A few months and a triple by-pass later, back to work, after the urging of the tech-in-charge at the next desk (ALARA office) who was feelin' the pressure. All's good now, 32 months till full retire, HAVE to wait for medical benes before I walk.

greengoo

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:18 »
I used tis one many times and actually pleased my boss with the genius of it.  "Are the parts I need in yet...No.  Then why the hell do you want me to come in and have you pay me to just sit here and stare at this piece of junk cause I don't have the parts to fix it?"  This is true and my boss never could fire me because I made him more money with my thinking... and I didn't even have to lie, cheat, or steal to do it.

Greengoo 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2004, 02:04 »
A co-worker didn't even call in. His excuse (when he called in after his shift had already left work to go back home) was that he had gotten locked inside his outside storage unit at home and his wife thought he rode to work with someone else so his car was still in the driveway.

(Not saying it didn't happen that way, but I hear he is much more reliable since Rehab)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

DainJer

« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2004, 10:56 »
This wasn't work...but a friend of mine had a habit of dissappearing for a few days at a time.

He was off on an adventure, and knew his wife would be upset....So he calls her breathless and exclaims...

"Honey! I Escaped....Whatever you do! Don't pay the ransom! I'll be home as quick as I can! *click*"

Of course it didn't work, but we got the best 10 minutes of hysterical laughing in our life from it.

darkson

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2004, 08:32 »
was having some vision problems just couldn't see coming to work

had leg problems just could't stand another day at work

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2004, 05:38 »
I'm having mechanical problems, I can't get my @$$ into gear.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?