Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Differing procedures at same site

Author Topic: Differing procedures at same site  (Read 12069 times)

HeavyD

Differing procedures at same site
« on: Jun 14, 2012, 09:31 »
Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:
Site with both operating and under construction units. 

We currently have separate procedures between the operating and construction units for things like Document Control, Procedure Writing, Training, etc.  I know that other sites with multiple units have “site” or Corporate/Fleet procedures.   There is extreme resistance from the operating unit to create or expand their procedures into a total site inclusive process.  In fact, some in upper management despise even hearing the phrase “fleet procedure”.

Does anyone else know of a scenario where a multi-unit site has differing procedures for common programs and processes? 

Not talking about operating procedures, those will have to be different since we will have two different design reactors.  Looking at programs like Security, FFD, Chemistry, HP, Document Control, Records Handling, Training, etc.

I have a gut feeling that we are unique (not necessarily a good thing) within the industry.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Differing procedures at same site
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:18 »
Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:

We currently have separate procedures between the operating and construction units for things like Document Control, Procedure Writing, Training, etc.  I know that other sites with multiple units have “site” or Corporate/Fleet procedures.   There is extreme resistance from the operating unit to create or expand their procedures into a total site inclusive process.  In fact, some in upper management despise even hearing the phrase “fleet procedure”.

Does anyone else know of a scenario where a multi-unit site has differing procedures for common programs and processes? 

Not talking about operating procedures, those will have to be different since we will have two different design reactors.  Looking at programs like Security, FFD, Chemistry, HP, Document Control, Records Handling, Training, etc.

I have a gut feeling that we are unique (not necessarily a good thing) within the industry.

You're not unique,...

I've done similar on a single unit site with multiple operating organizations,....

if it was easy anybody could do it,...

good luck,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:39 »
Since both operating and construction both take orders from Berlin, er Birmingham, why shouldn't they be fleet procedures?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2012, 11:20 »
Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:

Right now, while under construction, the construction site falls under different regulations regarding document retention, security / safeguards, RP, etc. So they have a different set of procedures. Once they get closer to the operating license world, their requirements will be the same, and a shift / transfer to fleet / entire site procedures.
Why jump through all the operating site hoops when you don;t have to - construction is different...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2012, 03:46 »
Right now the biggest issue we are facing is several instances were action at the construction units would have impacted the operating unit.  The root cause in those cases appears to have been the lack of directive to coordinate these functions between the two organizations, coupled with a lack of communication between the two as well.  Our goal is to find an amicable solution that can work for the long haul, before something drastic occurs.

There are many a time where we in the new group feel like the Island of Misfit Toys ;D

Totally understand the differing reporting and record retention requirements between the two sides.  Another issue is that we have areas were we have blended groups, i.e. training given to groups with both personnel from the operating unit and personnel assigned to the construction units.

I also realize that this is not a quick fix scenario.  Realistically what I am looking at is providing suggestions/alternatives/input that will enable site management to make a solid, well educated decision and draft a management change plan for the transition period sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:12 »
.....Realistically what I am looking at is providing suggestions/alternatives/input that will enable site management to make a solid, well educated decision and draft a management change plan for the transition period sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Sounds like maybe a dedicated coordinator or two?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

HeavyD

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2012, 07:56 »
Sounds like maybe a dedicated coordinator or two?

That is probably the path we are going to be headed down.  The more I work on the fact gathering for this, the more I get the feeling I am digging myself into being one of those one or two :D

The more I think about it, separate procedures will accomplish everything we need.  I think what we need to put our focus into here is defining and strengthening the communication and coordination between the two groups.   

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?