Reference, Questions and Help > Lessons Learned

Differing procedures at same site

(1/2) > >>

HeavyD:
Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:
Site with both operating and under construction units. 

We currently have separate procedures between the operating and construction units for things like Document Control, Procedure Writing, Training, etc.  I know that other sites with multiple units have “site” or Corporate/Fleet procedures.   There is extreme resistance from the operating unit to create or expand their procedures into a total site inclusive process.  In fact, some in upper management despise even hearing the phrase “fleet procedure”.

Does anyone else know of a scenario where a multi-unit site has differing procedures for common programs and processes? 

Not talking about operating procedures, those will have to be different since we will have two different design reactors.  Looking at programs like Security, FFD, Chemistry, HP, Document Control, Records Handling, Training, etc.

I have a gut feeling that we are unique (not necessarily a good thing) within the industry.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

GLW:

--- Quote from: HeavyD on Jun 14, 2012, 09:31 ---Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:

We currently have separate procedures between the operating and construction units for things like Document Control, Procedure Writing, Training, etc.  I know that other sites with multiple units have “site” or Corporate/Fleet procedures.   There is extreme resistance from the operating unit to create or expand their procedures into a total site inclusive process.  In fact, some in upper management despise even hearing the phrase “fleet procedure”.

Does anyone else know of a scenario where a multi-unit site has differing procedures for common programs and processes? 

Not talking about operating procedures, those will have to be different since we will have two different design reactors.  Looking at programs like Security, FFD, Chemistry, HP, Document Control, Records Handling, Training, etc.

I have a gut feeling that we are unique (not necessarily a good thing) within the industry.

--- End quote ---

You're not unique,...

I've done similar on a single unit site with multiple operating organizations,....

if it was easy anybody could do it,...

good luck,... 8)

HydroDave63:
Since both operating and construction both take orders from Berlin, er Birmingham, why shouldn't they be fleet procedures?

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: HeavyD on Jun 14, 2012, 09:31 ---Working an issue here.

Here’s the scenario:

--- End quote ---

Right now, while under construction, the construction site falls under different regulations regarding document retention, security / safeguards, RP, etc. So they have a different set of procedures. Once they get closer to the operating license world, their requirements will be the same, and a shift / transfer to fleet / entire site procedures.
Why jump through all the operating site hoops when you don;t have to - construction is different...

HeavyD:
Right now the biggest issue we are facing is several instances were action at the construction units would have impacted the operating unit.  The root cause in those cases appears to have been the lack of directive to coordinate these functions between the two organizations, coupled with a lack of communication between the two as well.  Our goal is to find an amicable solution that can work for the long haul, before something drastic occurs.

There are many a time where we in the new group feel like the Island of Misfit Toys ;D

Totally understand the differing reporting and record retention requirements between the two sides.  Another issue is that we have areas were we have blended groups, i.e. training given to groups with both personnel from the operating unit and personnel assigned to the construction units.

I also realize that this is not a quick fix scenario.  Realistically what I am looking at is providing suggestions/alternatives/input that will enable site management to make a solid, well educated decision and draft a management change plan for the transition period sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version