Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Telepole alternative? honeypot

Author Topic: Telepole alternative?  (Read 9758 times)

Offline BigBri

• Very Lite User
Telepole alternative?
« on: Jun 14, 2012, 03:54 »
We currently use telepoles, like most of the industry at this point I guess, but have been searching for an alternative.  Mostly due to the unreliable nature of the low range detector and how many ELD errors we get with them.  Some of the ones we have been looking at are the Canberra and the Thermo Scientific  telepole-esque models.  Anyone have any personal experience or insight with the ones I mentioned or even ones I did not?

Thanks

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Telepole alternative?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:09 »
We currently use telepoles, like most of the industry at this point I guess, but have been searching for an alternative.  Mostly due to the unreliable nature of the low range detector and how many ELD errors we get with them.  Some of the ones we have been looking at are the Canberra and the Thermo Scientific  telepole-esque models.  Anyone have any personal experience or insight with the ones I mentioned or even ones I did not?

Thanks

They perform ok,...

These puppies on a stick work ok too;

https://www.mirion.com/en/products/datasheets/hp/AMP-50.pdf

https://www.mirion.com/en/products/datasheets/hp/AMP-100.pdf

https://www.mirion.com/en/products/datasheets/hp/AMP-200.pdf

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Nukeman2k

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:44 »
We at the Entergy Nuclear South Central Calibration Facility have been using a low temperature heat shrink to attach the low and high tubes to the board. This along with a probe cover made out of pipe insulation cut our low tube breakage\ELD errors by about 90%. This is across four plants for the last three outages.

vic

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2016, 01:58 »
We maintain ~22 Telepoles for daily use @Zion D&D.  Agree that securing the detector tubes can reduce the ELD/EHD errors.  In addition, check for poor solder points there.  Another source of errors is the cord's modular connector getting bent too much.  We invested in a telephone modular connector tool, so we can replace the connectors versus replacing the entire cord (that's not fun).
But our major expense was replacing the #@*!! aluminum poles when the clutches get cross-threaded; we eliminated those poles, and instead use a more rugged "long arm" pole with reasonable tighteners.  This reduced our inst repair parts budget by $75k.
Otherwise, the Telepoles' edge is no meter movement & no rotating display.  The only thing I'd like is a battery % readout, versus "beep hey batteries are dead" indicator.
 8)

Offline Eds0123

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2016, 04:01 »
Check out "FH 40 TG Teleprobe" good instrument;  but the catch is its made by ThermoElectron or are they ThermoScientific now? anyways; See if you can rent one or two as for testing in the field before you commit spending above $2k per each or more these days. It also could be used as a MicroRem meter. goog luck

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2016, 09:07 »
Digital readout, auto scaling teletectors are the BOMB!!!
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2016, 09:58 »
due the digits' illumination altar with ambient lighting?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2016, 09:47 »
There is a "light" function if that is what you mean.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline andreaslattery

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2016, 05:04 »
We at the Entergy Nuclear South Central Calibration Facility have been using a low temperature heat shrink to attach the low and high tubes to the board. This along with a probe cover made out of pipe insulation cut our low tube breakage\ELD errors by about 90%. This is across four plants for the last three outages.

vic

Just out of curiosity, Do you still think the heat shrink combined with the koozies are reducing your Low detector failure/ ELD errors? Currently working instruments at Grand Gulf for the outage, and have had a few days where almost all of the telepoles go out of service because of ELD. If this is reduced by 90% I'd be scared to be here before you implemented your fix.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2016, 10:47 »
There is a "light" function if that is what you mean.
bee bettor with l.e.d. auto intensity adjustment two ambient light conditions.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2022, 07:32 »

I hate them. If I am in a fogged-up respirator in a low light environment trying to get a reading on a unknown source, the last thing I want is for the reading to all of the sudden change scales on me. I had to stop using these pieces of crap on the last job because they were a waste of time & dose.

Give me the old 6112B. It might slow me down a bit, but at least I am in control of what I am seeing.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?