Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NucMM2 getting out in 10 months. requesting advice for getting job in Southeast honeypot

Author Topic: NucMM2 getting out in 10 months. requesting advice for getting job in Southeast  (Read 5865 times)

Offline ejfigg

• Lurker
Hello everyone,

I am a MM2 on a sub out of Pearl. Up for first in the fall but I'll be getting out in Spring 2013. Currently qualified ERS and QAI and working on EWS mostly for the experience. Currently working on a the BSAT out of Excelsior. Sitting about 30 credits out at the moment. I'm pretty set on getting out and moving back home to Miami and I am looking into a NLO or Auxiliary Operator job at Turkey Point. However, reading through some of the posts and threads I'm seeing a kind of bleak out look on things. I am also looking into a back up plan of just finishing the bachelors and moving on to a graduate program but honestly I'd rather get to work. Kind of a reason I enlisted instead of finishing college. All and any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Erick
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 01:48 by ejfigg »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
Re: Nuke MM2 getting out in 10 months. requesting advice.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2012, 10:04 »
Advice is normally given after a question has been asked.  Seldom does one receive unsolicited advice they'd like to hear.  That being said...

Navy: Getting Out
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html

Nuclear Operators
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,252.0.html

Turkey Point
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,186.0.html

Qualifying EWS on the way out is a gift and won't mean much towards your future employment.  Doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it.

Ask a question if something you want to know hasn't been covered in the last few months.  Although, I bet you'll find that all the answers are there!
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 10:17 by a|F »

Offline ejfigg

• Lurker
Sorry I just realized that I didn't actually ask anything. However, I have been reading the others posts and noticed a lot of the relevant post and threads are several months old and there seems to be plenty of varying opinions and situations not to mention that the industry seems to be changing as far as hiring goes. So, I'm asking again in the hopes that I might get updated information or possibly just more specific information. And honestly I'm kind of intimidated by the whole process and just looking for help. I'm still young and learning and there are a lot of experienced an helpful people here. While I'm looking on my own, I might find wrong information or just overlook something. Just trying to use all available resources.

So I suppose, I'm asking what is the current job market looking like from people actually working in the field? What would I need to do to improve my chances of getting into the field?

Thanks again,
Erick
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 03:39 by ejfigg »

Fermi2

Stop being lazy and draw conclusions from those threads. The advice is timeless.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
It depends on who's hiring at the time. A lot of the EOOW guys (enlisted ones) are going the direct SRO route, and most of the EWS and below guys are going NLO. This is all based on the crew's I worked with at NPTU on shore duty though, and can give names and plants they went to work for if that would help you at all.

Your best piece of advice I can give you is...get EWS qualified, apply, interview well, and move to somewhere you know you'll like being. It seems intimidating getting out and not having anything to fall back on, so start saving now!

PM with specific questions and I'll give you specific answers.

Luke

Offline gogamecocks

• Light User
Really don't blame you for getting out. Sea time is getting worse and now they are sending people away from shore duty early or not even giving them a shore billet option due to downsizing and being undermanned in sea billets. Of course, I'm sure you know all this. Luckily my husband is retiring soon.

What I can tell you is that he has applied for jobs way in advance and most companies have told him they will not even look at you until you are 3-4 months out. He is now finally in his window and has a job interview or two. I'm not saying don't apply too early but just don't get too discouraged if you don't hear anything. It is nerve racking in this economy finding a job but at least you may be able to re-enlist at the last minute if nothing turns up. My husband did this at 8 but now he has an approved retirement date so no turning back for us. Good luck. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?