Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Apply Now or Wait?  

Author Topic: Apply Now or Wait?  (Read 6387 times)

DuckAndCover

Apply Now or Wait?
« on: Jun 23, 2012, 06:17 »
Well my situation can best be described/summarized below...

The issue is since the plant I live near is not going to be hiring for Ops until 2014 (two year hiring schedule) and I am going to have my associate degrees finished in 2013, should I start applying now (and finish my degrees as time permits if/when hired), finish my degrees and hang around here (hoping to get hired by the plant in 2014), finish my degrees and then begin applying anywhere/everywhere.

With my qualifications as they are, are my chances decent of getting picked up somewhere if I began applying now?

I want to get hired into operations, that is my objective. I like what I've seen of NLOs and would like to get into NLO classes and probably at some point down the road get sent to RO/license classes.

-Already have-

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (GPA 3.65)

Passed the POSS/MASS tests (first attempt on both)

Summer internship at nuclear power plant

Following math classes (high school or college)

Geometry 2
Algebra 2
Statistics
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Business Statistics 1 (college)
Business Statistics 2 (college)
Calculus and Analytical Geometry 1 (college)
Calculus and Analytical Geometry 2 (college)
Technical Math 1 (college)

Following science classes (high school or college)

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Chemistry (college)
Applied Physics 1 (college)
Applied Physics 2 (college)

-Almost have-

2 semesters away from Associate of Applied Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology (GPA 3.25)

2 semesters away from Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Engineering Technology (GPA 3.25)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Apply Now or Wait?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2012, 07:40 »
Apply now. If you don't get hired next round, then back to school is always an option.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2012, 07:48 »
Apply now and get in at a plant that's hiring now. Finish up your degree online, imo. There's something to be said about being employed at a plant near your home/family, however...take what you can get. A lot of plants DO look for local people, but in your case, 2014 is a long way off.

Definitely stress how your long-term goal is to get a license. Don't beat around the bush by telling them "that you possibly might be thinking about" or something like that...show the hiring manager that you are looking at the long-term, and for operations, that involves getting licenses.

There are a few plants hiring NLOs at the moment. Search under indeed.com for "nuclear operator" and you'll see them. Or PM me and I can give you more direction.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2012, 10:08 »

Okay, I'm 100% sure I want to go to license class and become an RO but I wasn't sure if coming on that strong would seem arrogant as I've never worked as an NLO and I thought it might put them off to hear that a "guy who is just getting in already has his sights set on being an RO some day."

I'm still in the Navy but I have talked to a few SRO recruiters so take this for what it's worth. I think you misunderstood Eaton, he was telling you to stress the point that you want to progress to a licensee class don't tell them you want to go straight to RO (I think Broadzilla might stab you for wanting to skip NLO and go straight to RO because for the most part a program like this doesn't exist). Every job posting I see says that preference is given to candidates that desire to progress to RO/ SRO. Eaton was just trying to tell you not to say " I 'think' I want to be an RO",  but to flat out say "I want to get this NLO thing done, show my worth and show you again as an RO that you made a good choice in hiring me."

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2012, 11:25 »
I'm not looking to skip NLO. Basically if they were to ask me "where do you see yourself in five years?" my answer would be somewhere along the lines of, "about to head off to RO classes, somewhere in RO classes, or maybe just finishing up RO classes."

It's not unreasonable to figure on getting hired into operations, spending 8-10 months training in classes for NLO, then spend 12-24 months working as an NLO, and then spend 24 months in RO/license classes, and thus becoming an RO about 4-5 years after the time of initial hire, is it?

When I interviewed at Peach Bottom in December, they asked me the "Where do you see yourself in five years?" question and my response was pretty much word for word the same as yours. I had a lot going for me already, so I doubt this answer alone got me the job, but I know that right now having a desire to go to the room is a good thing if you're looking to get hired as an NLO.

As far as a timeline of progression, my EO class is slated to go 15 months. I believe the minimum time before you can start license class is 36 months, and license class itself lasts 18 months here. I'm looking at 6-7 years (minimum) from initial hire to sitting on a hot license. Class lengths may vary wherever you get hired, but I'm pretty sure the 36 months on the floor is industry standard.

Of course, I'm still just a nub in this industry, so if someone more senior tells you that everything I just wrote is BS, I'd listen to them.  :P
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2012, 11:42 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2012, 02:43 »
36 months from the time you're fully qualified ("all blocks and power systems") per the ACAD.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2012, 03:59 »
12 months from fully qualified to start.

36 Months total from time on site to license.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?