Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's your opinion on this ILT transfer offer?
honeypot

Author Topic: What's your opinion on this ILT transfer offer?  (Read 8382 times)

Offline PNWMC

• Very Lite User
What's your opinion on this ILT transfer offer?
« on: Jun 26, 2012, 02:17 »
First, thank you to everyone who posts here. I have learned a lot from you, and hopefully I can continue that. I have never posted before because I have never had anything to offer the conversation and you all have done well in making information available.

I have been a Reactor Engineer for 3+ years now and just applied to license class as an ISRO. I was accepted and given an offer. In all my research I have never come across this situation. The company considers this a "lateral move" and offers no increase in pay or bonuses (at least during class, not sure about afterwords but it sounds like they go up after you pass). Is this normal, rare, or unheard of?  Current pay is in the mid 80's with 10% target yearly bonus. I know that companies always low ball the current employees as compared to applicants from different companies, but this really caught me off guard. I know the opportunity itself is worth a lot, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. Please feel free to let me know if I am "out-to-lunch" on this. Regardless, any advice is welcome.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: What's your opinion on this ILT transfer offer?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2012, 02:23 »
That is on par with what the engineers in my class make, but they will be bumped to full sro pay and bonuses upon successful completion of the class. YMMV.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2012, 02:35 »
Normal.

ArthurRyan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2012, 11:46 »
          Mid 80's with a 10% target yearly bonus!?!?  In these harsh economic times and you believe that your being taking advantage of?  Come on PNWNC…..  I along with the million's of other individuals on unemployment, would consider you to be pretty dang lucky.   
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2012, 11:48 by ArthurRyan »

Offline PNWMC

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2012, 11:55 »
Indeed AR I am lucky to have such a great job and be in the position I am in. Also, there is much more to it than luck. But this isn't a discussion about joblessness. If I were unemployed I would have no qualms about scrubbing the sewers for $10/hr if I had to. But the reality here is that it isn't my current concern. You are more than welcome to apply for the job I will be vacating. The question here is a valid one. Since I do have a job, I will not accept $10/hr for scrubbing the sewers (and no I am not comparing license class to sewer work). I am entitled to try to find out what I am worth, if I can.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:45 »
.....Also, there is much more to it than luck.....

Amen to that,... +K

For starters, millions of the unemployed are loathe to discipline themselves to avoid behaviours inconsistent with FFD,...

And that's just for starters,...

Be grateful for what you have had the opportunity to earn, but get what you can for what you have invested and demonstrated,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2012, 02:00 »
Lest we forget that you're getting paid to be in training for 18 months.  One of the best gigs around, albeit stressful and laborious at times. 

Get your license, then worry about pay.  If it's still sub-standard, you shouldn't have much problem finding another company to satisfy your requirements.

Offline PNWMC

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2012, 02:16 »
Thank you for the info and advice. I accepted the offer and look forward to license class.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2012, 05:31 »
Thank you for the info and advice. I accepted the offer and look forward to license class.

Like Alf said, get that license and you can go anywhere in the country. But like I said, you'll likely get a bump when you're successful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Also, please stick around. We need more people in class and with licenses around here, IMO.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline VTnuke

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2012, 10:28 »
 :)
Coming from an SRO, I wouldn't call this a "competitive offer", however, if you have no operational experience it may be something you would want to consider.  It would be miserable to be a RxEng forever if you have any desire to do OPS.  Depending on where you are in the country (adjust either way for cost of living), a competitive offer would be $85k +15% (average).  Get your foot in the door, prove you can pass class, then worry about your pay.  Keep in mind the company will have to invest a ton of time and money to qualify you.  RxEngs don't have a stellar track record of passing class the first time around.

Offline STGN

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2012, 12:40 »

I have been a Reactor Engineer for 3+ years now and just applied to license class as an ISRO. I was accepted and given an offer. In all my research I have never come across this situation. The company considers this a "lateral move" and offers no increase in pay or bonuses (at least during class, not sure about afterwords but it sounds like they go up after you pass). Is this normal, rare, or unheard of?  Current pay is in the mid 80's with 10% target yearly bonus.

This is very similar to my experience.  I was in Reactor Engineering and transferred to Operations as well.  My base pay remained the same until I got my license, then it took a healthy jump. I seem to recall being the lowest paid person in ILT since the RO candidates were getting 4 or 8 (can't remember which even though I signed the time sheets) hours of week in OT. 

I'd expect your current annual gross to double once you get an SRO license, taking into consideration a base pay increase, license pay, bonuses, and any "supplemental" pay you may get where you work. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?