Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu AO positions honeypot

Author Topic: AO positions  (Read 14645 times)

Mthargett

AO positions
« on: Jun 26, 2012, 06:24 »
I am a recent college graduate and have always been interested in nuclear energy.  I recently sent in an application for an auxiliary operator position.  I started out in engineering and finished with a B.S. Mathematics.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the POSS test or where I could get some information on it, how much that test is usually considered when the company makes a decision, and how well my education background might stack up against candidates with a more technical or job experienced background. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 06:43 by Mthargett »

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
Re: AO positions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:20 »
That degree in math wasn't too helpful in learning to use search functions on internet forums. :p

Seriously though, this has been answered all over these forums at length and in depth.

DSO

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2012, 04:48 »
I am a recent college graduate and have always been interested in nuclear energy.  I recently sent in an application for an auxiliary operator position.  I started out in engineering and finished with a B.S. Mathematics.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the POSS test or where I could get some information on it, how much that test is usually considered when the company makes a decision, and how well my education background might stack up against candidates with a more technical or job experienced background. Thanks for the help.
I think your wasting your time...they will select people with more experience than you which there are many

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2012, 10:45 »
I think your wasting your time...they will select people with more experience than you which there are many
Not necessarily true. I was hired as a NLO with no prior experience and a MET degree.  Out of the 10 that hired in with me 4 had degrees (with no prior plant experience), 3 had previous plant/manufacturing experience, and 3 had previous navy experience.

However, this is entirely true:
That degree in math wasn't too helpful in learning to use search functions on internet forums. :p

Seriously though, this has been answered all over these forums at length and in depth.

Mthargett

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:00 »
To be honest i just found this site on my phone yesterday and this is my first ever use of an Internet forum, Im more of a book person.  But thanks for the help. I did find some good information about the POSS test.  I'll try and figure out how to delete the post

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:08 »
To be honest i just found this site on my phone yesterday and this is my first ever use of an Internet forum, Im more of a book person.  But thanks for the help. I did find some good information about the POSS test.  I'll try and figure out how to delete the post

I am a recent college graduate and have always been interested in nuclear energy.  I recently sent in an application for an auxiliary operator position.  I started out in engineering and finished with a B.S. Mathematics.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the POSS test or where I could get some information on it, how much that test is usually considered when the company makes a decision, and how well my education background might stack up against candidates with a more technical or job experienced background. Thanks for the help.

Which school currently does not require some computer literacy or application as part of it's core curriculum in engineering or mathematics?

I just want to know which one not to send any of mine to,...

I'm just saying,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:10 »
Which school currently does not require some computer literacy or application as part of it's core curriculum in engineering or mathematics?

I just want to know which one not to send any of mine to,...

I'm just saying,... [coffee]

Univ. of Alabama

First in the alphabet, last in everything else....  [whistle]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:28 »
Univ. of Alabama

First in the alphabet, last in everything else....  [whistle]

nah, the OP may be there now, but UA has a core requirement for computer,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Mthargett

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2012, 01:36 »
I decided to skip the Internet basics class, learned some of the basics of programming, databases, and architecture to fulfill my cs requirements. And Im sure the comment was tounge in cheek but Alabama has consistently been a top 50 public university and the honors program has put out more academic all-Americans than about all other schools public or private. The quality of education is largely up to the student but Alabama gives you a great opportunity.

And though these jokes are fun, I would appreciate some insight as to how much the POSS is considered when the company is hiring or if it is more of a benchmark and all they look at is pass or fail.  Also would love to hear from anyone who came from a math or science background and how difficult it was to break into the industry.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2012, 02:03 »
I would appreciate some insight as to how much the POSS is considered when the company is hiring or if it is more of a benchmark and all they look at is pass or fail.  Also would love to hear from anyone who came from a math or science background and how difficult it was to break into the industry.

You want to know how people with math and science degrees break into the nuke field??? 

Mthargett

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2012, 02:09 »
You want to know how people with math and science degrees break into the nuke field??? 

Not how they did it. How difficult it was and what kind of jobs they initially went after.  I was mainly responding to the post that said I was wasting my time applying for the AO position.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2012, 02:36 »
Not how they did it. How difficult it was and what kind of jobs they initially went after.  I was mainly responding to the post that said I was wasting my time applying for the AO position.

was the advice. YMMV
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2012, 02:38 by HydroDave63 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2012, 03:07 »
I decided to skip the Internet basics class, learned some of the basics of programming, databases, and architecture to fulfill my cs requirements.......

ahaaaaa,...that answers that,...

.....And Im sure the comment was tounge in cheek but Alabama has consistently been a top 50 public university and the honors program has put out more academic all-Americans than about all other schools public or private. The quality of education is largely up to the student but Alabama gives you a great opportunity.....

no argument there, you know some folks just can't get over folks who talk slow, or those of us who pronounce words like "oil" funny,...

...And though these jokes are fun, I would appreciate some insight as to how much the POSS is considered when the company is hiring or if it is more of a benchmark and all they look at is pass or fail.....

nice vector back to the original intent of the thread, you'll do fine here,...

....Also would love to hear from anyone who came from a math or science background and how difficult it was to break into the industry.

I hear ya but most of those folks have already posted their experiences on other threads and forums, you'll have to search for those,...

Here's a few to get you started;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,27213.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17472.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26959.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22310.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25972.0.html

And this may help you also;

http://www.learnwebskills.com/search/engines.html

And if you believe DSO and never try then they can never say no;

good luck,... 8)

lionhart

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:50 »
I had a degree in history with no prior technical experiance. Been an NLO for 2 years now. Go for it!
Maybe get a job as a contractor first, then start making connections.  I cleaned toilets for a year.

Offline orangery

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:15 »

I understand your concern. This question came up for us when we had a very similar candidate to you. We wanted to be sure that their math degree was included in the ACAD SRO degree requirements in "engineering or physical sciences." Our answer: it is.

Hiring managers evaluate an NLO's future advancement potential, and your educational background looks fine in this regard. Some job postings for engineering require specific degrees even though the coursework is pretty similar, but operations is diverse and does not require a highly specific field. I am answering it a little late but maybe this will help someone in the future.

I wonder whether you ended up interviewing for the AO position. Companies I have seen use POSS as pass/fail for nuclear.

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:07 »
I don't think applying for a job you want is ever a waste of time. I know Duke Energy hires some ex-navy, some engineers, and some non-experienced every class that they class up. The non-experienced are very few but you definitely have a chance. Good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?