Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Don't Know What to do

Author Topic: Don't Know What to do  (Read 6151 times)

Offline welcometoparadise

• Lurker
Don't Know What to do
« on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:13 »
Hello Everyone,
I am currently at prototype in Ballston Spa, I just got out of off crew a few weeks ago, I ended off crew about 8% ahead.  Now I am just about even with the curve,  I feel like I can't get any checkouts.   I have always tried my hardest and have done pretty well throughout the pipeline, and I have never been as frustrated as I am now.  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation, or if anyone could provide any guidance as to how I could work my way out of this downward spiral.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

withroaj

Re: Don't Know What to do
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 »
Study your a$$ off, and when your watches come up you can bombard your instructor with knowledge.  If you don't go to watch prepared for every applicable watch-station-relevant checkout you're cheating yourself. 

If you have good study habits and you just can't get cube time I'm willing to bet that you have a good amount of down time.  Take advantage of that before your watches to find all of the indications you'll be recording on the watchstation so you can take a set of logs in under five minutes.  It beats the crap out of watching your desk melt all day, and it will free up a TON of time while you're on watch to get checkouts.

It also doesn't hurt to add that it can get really boring and frustrating for an instructor to watch a U/I spend 30 minutes taking a log set.  An instructor who's not bored (and also presumably impressed by your level of preparedness) will be generous when signing your qual card.  Besides, it will help you for your future as a Naval nuclear operator.  You'll spend a bunch of time over the next few years cleaning and taking logs.  Might as well get used to it now.

Thank you for your service.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2012, 10:48 »
Spend time in the plant watching before your watches come along.  Learning the book side is one thing, being able to apply it is entirely different.

Case in point, the ET who was Class Honorman for my Power School Class, 9201, graduated with a 3.95.  I want to say that was a record at the time, but no evidence to back that up.  Anyways, he gets to prototype, does well during out-hull (what the classroom time before crew assignment was called in 1993).  We go on crew and he is completely inept at everything; can't stand watch to save his life, can't take logs in a timely manner at the panel, you name it, he screws it up.  Fails a watch or two.  Manages to pass his final board with a 2.6. 

We both end up on the ENTERPRISE.  Both STAR for 2nd Class within couple of weeks of each other.  I qualify ELT 2 months early, get qualified Senior-in-Rate in less than 2 years, both warfare pins and transfer back to prototype as a 2nd (took PO1 test for first time month before I flew off) at my 3 year point.  First Class in 5 1/2, chief in 8 1/2.  The Honorman?  Never qualifies SRO, gets kicked out for being fat and has to pay back part of his SRB.

Start connecting the book stuff and the plant stuff, NOW.  Like withroaj said, be prepared and impress the staff with your preparation and hard work. 

Best of luck and thank for volunteering!

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:16 »
What plant are you at?

Unfortunately, I can't share any knowledge about specifics with you due to it all being classified. However, if you're really having trouble, TELL YOUR STAFF ADVISOR.

If your SA's a jerk, tell your TC. If you STILL can't get help, tell your LCC or SE. You WILL get help.

Asking on here, though, isn't going to get you much help other than advice from what others did to get through the program.

The unfortunate situation is that there are too many students and not enough staff...and the staff that NPTU DOES have are busy with maintenance, their own training, their own quals, their own watches.

Sign up on every checkout sheet imaginable, and literally spend 3 hours a day walking around asking for checkouts.

LASTLY, and perhaps most importantly, go to OCTG and ask the TC their for help. MM1 Thornburg.  (I really hope you are a MARF guy, because DontgotoNPTU will love me for this last one).

Josh, meet bus...get under it!

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:19 »
Sorry, one other thing.

You are absoultely doing fine if you are staying even with the curve. Do not sweat it. I have had DOZENS of students at 20% dinq or more. The ones who get kicked out are the ones who do stupid things such as:

DUI,
Theft,
Attempted Murder (Yes),
Failing your 100% exam twice (although we had one guy get three shots at it)
Failing your final board twice
Not passing watches (although, I've seen MM students fail 5 watches and still become nukes)

You're doing rather well if you're staying even with the curve. Keep it up.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2012, 06:40 »
Josh isn't in OCTG anymore, he's in section 1. He does have good track record for getting rid of problem students though (2 for 2).
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2012, 05:55 by MMM »

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2012, 10:10 »
MMM, whoever you are, you're gonna get me in trouble!

To the OP, probably the biggest reason why you were 8% ahead going to section is because your class was made of 55 people with zero officers where as we're used to dealing with 130-145 students a class with 25-35 officers. Genearlly, student's will leave offcrew at the curve or maybe slightly ahead with a few exceptions. Eaton's advice is very sound but to add to it "don't let knowledge interfere with your qualifications". You're not going to have 4.0 knowledge and we don't expect you to. We do however expect you to show us that you are willingly to put forth the effort. IMO if you're not getting kicked out of check outs and you fall >20% behind then you are over studying or just sitting on your ass doing nothing wasting skin (like the 2 of 2 MMM was refering to).

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2012, 05:55 »
I guess I should mention that the two that went away put forth zero effort on their own. Anyone that puts forth effort, we try to help and get them through.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?