Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out soon, wondering what jobs are available. honeypot

Author Topic: Getting out soon, wondering what jobs are available.  (Read 7742 times)

Offline jcp21

• Lurker
I'm a MM2 on a Submarine, doing 6 and out. Now that I'm almost out I need to find a job. Trying to find something around the Houston or Austin areas. Any help would be apprecitated, as I'm quickly approaching my EAOS and beginning to realize I don't have a clue as to how to find a job that has a decent pay.

HeavyD

Re: Getting out soon, wondering what jobs are available.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:18 »
Be more specific.

What kind of job are you looking for?  Are you wanting to continue in Operations, get into QA, looking at Maintenance, something else?  Are you ok with rotating shift work (NOT the type of shift work we did in the Navy) or are you looking for a "normal" day job?

Do you want to go to college?  Do you have the BI Bill?

All of these are things that folks on here would ask of you in order to even provide a starting point.  Read what you post and ask yourself if you have been clear in what you are asking for. 

Go to TAP.  There are some very useful topics addressed. 

Start with the Job Listings on this site.  Use Google or the NRC website to find plants near where you want to end up.

Offline gogamecocks

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2012, 01:00 »
Also, join Linked in. There are more job postings on there too and you can join groups and network a bit more. Work on your resume and try to keep in to the point and one page, if possible. Put the most important things in the top half. Contact a head hunter, if for nothing else they can help you with your resume and may give you leads at places besides nuclear. Key word optimize your resume specific to the job posting. Apply at a lot of different companies. Some companies you will never hear from and some will call you. It's kind of weird. You can apply for the same position at two companies and one might jump all over you while another completely ignores you and they can even be in the same area.
These are the bits of advice that have helped my husband. Good luck! :)

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 »
There are a couple of nuclear plants in Texas find out the which companies own them and go to their job posting/ career web site. That is where I would start. As stated above go to TAPS, in fact go twice. Also we need more info, how close are you to getting out? If you're less than 6 months are you prepared to be unemployed for a while? What else do you bring to the table other than your less than four years of operational experience? Did you qualify EWS and/ or get a degree?

Anyways it's too much effort for me to type more out on my phone for someone who has done zero leg work and can't use the search function.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2012, 12:24 »
...Anyways it's too much effort for me to type more out on my phone for someone who has done zero leg work and can't use the search function.

Be careful out there, like the nice policeman says, "Don't text and drive."

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2012, 12:32 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

drayer54

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2012, 03:28 »
Be careful out there, like the nice policeman says, "Don't text and drive."
Not a concern everywhere. yet.

I'm a MM2 on a Submarine, doing 6 and out. Now that I'm almost out I need to find a job. Trying to find something around the Houston or Austin areas. Any help would be apprecitated, as I'm quickly approaching my EAOS and beginning to realize I don't have a clue as to how to find a job that has a decent pay.

This forum can be a very valuable resource, but you need to search through and find the good stuff yourself. It takes a little effort, but you can find out things like job searching methods, jobs you are and are not qualified for, interview advice, and other helpful hints.

Showing up and asking to be spoonfed doesn't make too many people want to help you. I know that I've thrown out some helpful advice on this topic and so have many others. Good luck!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2012, 03:39 »
OP posted once, hasn't been back in 3 weeks...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2012, 03:57 »
Not a concern everywhere. yet.

Ummm... yes, it is. It may not be illegal everywhere yet, but it is a concern. Major. Everywhere.

Or maybe you feel OK doing stupid, dangerous things as long as they are not illegal?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2012, 11:10 »
OP posted once, hasn't been back in 3 weeks...

Another Jonathan Livingston Seagull flew off...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?