Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hotel occupancy tax waived after 30 days

Author Topic: Hotel occupancy tax waived after 30 days  (Read 12465 times)

Offline billhudson

• Light User
  • QC Inspector
Hotel occupancy tax waived after 30 days
« on: Jul 01, 2012, 07:38 »
It seems that I read somewhere that if "you put in writing" at the time that you check into a motel, that you expect to stay longer than 30 days; you will not be assessed the Hotel Occupancy Taxes.   Is that correct?    Are there different rules for different states?

I know that when I stayed in a motel near Susquehanna (I didn't put anything in writing) but after 30 days I told the manager that) after 30 days I was considered a "resident" and I couldn't be charged the hotel occupancy tax for the remainder or my stay and that I was entitled to a refund for all of the Occupancy Taxes that I have already paid (starting from the first day that I checked in.)     

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Hotel occupancy tax waived after 30 days
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2012, 08:29 »
The rules do vary by state.  California has a form that you have to sign for the hotel to keep on file.  New Jersey requires that you stay at least 90 days.  Some states charge no tax on a stay of 30 days or longer, others stop charging the tax after 30 days but still charge for the first 30.  Some states require that you occupy the same room for the entire period continuously; others will allow a change in rooms as long as you don't check out.

It is not automatic.  Since many hotels have long-term guests very rarely, they may not be aware of their state's limits.  You should ask them before you check in and back it up with a copy of the state's tax law (which you can usually find online).

Usually, there are three separate taxes on a hotel room.  There is the state hotel occupancy tax, the local hotel occupancy tax, and sales tax.  If one of these taxes is no longer required for your stay, one or more of the others still might be collected.

Also, you may need to check on state residency laws.  If you take advantage of the tax break, you might establish residency in that state -  which could require that you register and insure your car in that state as well as obtain a driver's license there also.  The cost of doing that, or the fines for failing to do it, might be more than what you would save.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline billhudson

• Light User
  • QC Inspector
Re: Hotel occupancy tax waived after 30 days
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2012, 08:46 »
Thanks for the information

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?