Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nukelette looking for ideas for the future

Author Topic: Nukelette looking for ideas for the future  (Read 33200 times)

Offline NukeBoss

• Lurker
Nukelette looking for ideas for the future
« on: Jul 05, 2012, 06:48 »
     I am a Navy Nuke, MM3.  I'm currently in Prototype in Ballston Spa, NY.  Obviously, as of now, I have no business working at a civilian nuclear power plant, but let me tell you about my goals.  I want to do at least 8 years in the Navy.  After I get out, I want to work at a civilian nuclear plant and make good money.  It's not a gimme.  I want it, and I will work as hard as it takes to get it.  How can I plan, from the get-go, how to get a good, 6-figure job?  Here's what I have going for me right now.
     I'm a hard-charger.  Currently further ahead than anyone in my class, and planning to stay that way.  I'm going for ELT and Staff Pick-up (SPU).  I feel confident that I will get both.  I want to take advantage of the opportunity to qualify EOoW during the 2-3 years I would be here as staff.  Afterwards, it's off to the fleet (surface) and the goal of superior watch standing and stacking qualifications, as well as working on my degree.
     I take great pride in serving my country, but I want to ensure I set myself up for success in the best ways possible.  Please, all nukes/former nukes, give me your advice on what to do.  And anyone working in the civilian field, or hiring in the civilian field, let me know what you look for and what is expected of me.  All advice is sincerely appreciated.
     I hope this thread will serve as a guide for all the other nukelettes in my position.  Thank you very much.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Nukelette looking for ideas for the future
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2012, 06:55 »
     I am a Navy Nuke, MM3.  I'm currently in Prototype in Ballston Spa, NY.  Obviously, as of now, I have no business working at a civilian nuclear power plant, but let me tell you about my goals.  I want to do at least 8 years in the Navy.  After I get out, I want to work at a civilian nuclear plant and make good money.  It's not a gimme.  I want it, and I will work as hard as it takes to get it.  How can I plan, from the get-go, how to get a good, 6-figure job?  Here's what I have going for me right now.
     I'm a hard-charger.  Currently further ahead than anyone in my class, and planning to stay that way.  I'm going for ELT and Staff Pick-up (SPU).  I feel confident that I will get both.  I want to take advantage of the opportunity to qualify EOoW during the 2-3 years I would be here as staff.  Afterwards, it's off to the fleet (surface) and the goal of superior watch standing and stacking qualifications, as well as working on my degree.
     I take great pride in serving my country, but I want to ensure I set myself up for success in the best ways possible.  Please, all nukes/former nukes, give me your advice on what to do.  And anyone working in the civilian field, or hiring in the civilian field, let me know what you look for and what is expected of me.  All advice is sincerely appreciated.
     I hope this thread will serve as a guide for all the other nukelettes in my position.  Thank you very much.

First, you won't qualify EOOW or EWS as a SPU.

Second, you must have EWS or PPWS for at least 2 years.

Third, WTF is a nukelette?

Fourth, this has been discussed a lot on these forums. Search.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:13 »
You're lazy. Use the search function.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2012, 08:17 »
BZ and Higgs are right GOYA and use the search function. If you want EOOW and you get SPU you're going to be in a minimum of 10 years probably more.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:01 »
We have couple guys that got EOOW in 8 years. Damned ETs.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2012, 12:28 »
Huh? What does et have to do with it? I went back to prototype at 6 years and qualified eoow at 7.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2012, 01:07 »
I've seen a chief do EOOW in 7 years. As far as what MMM refers to...maybe it has something to do with the fact that ETs currently make E6 at a higher rate. Thus, if they qualified EWS on their boat, show up to NPTU at their 5-6 year point, qualify EWS really fast and get in good with the Chief's quarters at the plant, they might get put into EOOW quals and qualify by the time they reach their 8 year point.

Then again, nothing's to stop any of the other rates from doing the exact same thing. It's just currently perceived that "damned ETs" get the good deal as far as advancement (because they do).

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:05 »
If you want EOOW and you get SPU

Assuming he gets selected and completes ELT school that puts him at 2 years. Put SPU on top of that he's at 4 years. Three years at sea and comes back to NPTU he's at 7. He's going to have a minimum of 2 more years to complete at NPTU and they are not going to give him EOOW if he is only going to be there for 2 years. This is how I arrived at the minimum of 10 years. Yes Burks did it in 7 but he was not a SPU. The ET's that MMM is referring to will have completed >10 years by the time they are done.

The questions still stands wtf is a nukelette?
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 11:08 by DontGoToNPTU »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:14 »

Probably one of those 'special' sailors now encouraged in the post-DADT fleet... >:(

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2012, 09:06 »

Maybe it's like an aglet for a shoe. Instead of the tip of a shoelace to make threading easier its the pointy tip of a nub that makes him slide through the nuke pipeline easier.

[devious]
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2012, 09:07 by Marlin »

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2012, 12:22 »
 Maybe it's like an aglet for a shoe. Instead of the tip of a shoelace to make threading easier its the pointy tip of a nub that makes him slide through the nuke pipeline easier.

[devious]

ROFL [dowave] ROFL

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2012, 04:23 »
ette (the feminine form of the diminutive suffix, -et)

Diminutive: (Grammar) Of or pertaining to, or creating a word form expressing smallness, youth, unimportance, or endearment.

Example: Pig -> boy baby pig = piglet. Pig -> girl baby pig = piglette.

So, by this, a "nukelette" is a baby female nuke. However, she's not a nuke yet since she hasn't qualified. So she's a nublette.

But I like Marlin's idea way better hahaha.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2012, 04:26 by eaton1981 »

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2012, 04:28 »
PS. If Occupy the NRC was smart, they'd have made a "Occupy the Occupy the Occupy the NRC" group to counteract yours by now.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2012, 04:38 »
Wait, someone here made the occupy the occupy the nrc page?

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2012, 10:12 »
Yeah, DontgotoNPTU did. Bunch of the current and ex NPTU staff is on there and now we're spamming the Occupy the NRC site, or..."occupying" it.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2012, 10:31 »
is there a url? Don't be a check valve! ;)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2012, 10:40 »
Yeah, DontgotoNPTU did. Bunch of the current and ex NPTU staff is on there and now we're spamming the Occupy the NRC site, or..."occupying" it.

Yeah I joined. I was almost immediately banned for injecting facts. :) I joined the occupy occupy too.

Justin

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...

drayer54

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2012, 03:35 »
Yeah I joined. I was almost immediately banned for injecting facts. :) I joined the occupy occupy too.

Justin

Me too! I finally occupied something!!! I spammed to my hearts desire and they banned me. It's like real occupying, only with a job and less smelly women and drugs.... and you can do it in the comfort of your own home!

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2012, 05:33 »
I only made 3 posts before I was bannened.  I guess injecting logic and fact was frowned on by the establishment.

drayer54

« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2012, 06:15 »
I only made 3 posts before I was bannened.  I guess injecting logic and fact was frowned on by the establishment.
Yup.

That's why I jumped ahead to hate and discontent.

Logic and facts arent the way to occupy!

Plus, I think those mothers for peace and ignorance are behind this. Like other fruits and nuts, they are in California.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2012, 06:17 by Drayer »

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2012, 06:49 »
Awww...I was deleted! I was up there for a good 24 hours too.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2012, 09:44 »
I have been banned two times, working on a third!

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2012, 11:27 »
Part of me feels bad because it's just a bunch of concerned moms. Then the other part of me gets angry at the fact they are happy to spread their ignorance to unsuspecting facebook users.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2012, 11:39 »
I don't care who it is. They're misinformed and not interested in honest, open, intellectual debate or in a discussion of the facts. They deserve all the scorn and mocking they get.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?