Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Salary question for Ann Arbor, MI honeypot

Author Topic: Salary question for Ann Arbor, MI  (Read 31258 times)

Offline Nichole

• Light User
Salary question for Ann Arbor, MI
« on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:05 »
I am interested in applying for a job as an assistant nuclear engineer in Ann Arbor, MI. The company will not consider a resume unless a salary requirement is given with the resume. I want to give a reasonable salary without low-balling myself. I have looked on the web and have seen figures ranging from (low end) 30,000 USD/year to (high end) 98,000 USD/year. These figures are wildly different, so I really have no idea what is reasonable. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Nichole

Fermi2

Re: Salary question for Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:27 »
Ann Arbor, U of M. 30 to 40K

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:29 »
Thank you, Broadzilla!

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2012, 01:32 »
You are quite welcome.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2012, 04:19 »
What is an assistant nuclear engineer?  And given Broadzilla's take on new nuclear industry hires, why would you take his word on the matter?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2012, 04:26 »
What is an assistant nuclear engineer?  And given Broadzilla's take on new nuclear industry hires, why would you take his word on the matter?

you're probably right, the OP should insist on 90K to 100K,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2012, 05:06 »
The "assistant nuclear engineer," according to this job description, is someone with either a bachelor's or master's degree in nuclear engineering that will "support numerous engineering business lines." It is an entry level position.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2012, 05:33 »
Entergy posts salary range at $55k - $82k, Engineer 1 - Bachelor with 0-8 yrs exp... but that is marginally for entry level - it's really for someone that is a couple of years along...
Engnr Assoc - (distribution) - $45k - $68k, 2-4 yrs college.Real entry level, non-nuke, electrical distrribution.

Good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2012, 08:58 »
you're probably right, the OP should insist on 90K to 100K,...

What am I correct about?  I don't recall making any assertions.

For the OP, my company will start an entry level engineer between 50k and 70k roughly.  For a fresh out of college BS degree it will be on the lower end of that band.  If you have 1 - 2 years experience, a little higher on that band.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2012, 09:05 »
Thanks guys, all help/information is appreciated! I went for 50-60k with the statement that it is negotiable.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2012, 09:11 »
Thanks guys, all help/information is appreciated! I went for 50-60k with the statement that it is negotiable.

took that upper band eh?!?!,....good luck!! (sincerely)

What am I correct about?  I don't recall making any assertions.

For the OP, my company will start an entry level engineer between 50k and 70k roughly.  For a fresh out of college BS degree it will be on the lower end of that band.  If you have 1 - 2 years experience, a little higher on that band.

here's the company;

https://tetratech.tms.hrdepartment.com/jobs/12231/Assistant-Nuclear-EngineerAnn-Arbor-MI

here's the U of M pay range;

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/University-of-Michigan-Assistant-Research-Scientist-Hourly-Pay-E3023_D_KO23,51.htm

three minutes of research would have shown you BZ probably did his,...

his utility (like your company) probably pays better than a university for entry level too,...

again, three minutes of research would have circumvented the smarmy crap,...

university work has perks other than pay to consider in the equation,...

of course, emoticons can help,.... :P ;) :) 8)

(and yet you already know all of this,... :-\)

peace,...1575

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2012, 09:25 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2012, 09:37 »
took that upper band eh?!?!,....good luck!! (sincerely)

here's the company;

https://tetratech.tms.hrdepartment.com/jobs/12231/Assistant-Nuclear-EngineerAnn-Arbor-MI

here's the U of M pay range;

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/University-of-Michigan-Assistant-Research-Scientist-Hourly-Pay-E3023_D_KO23,51.htm

three minutes of research would have shown you BZ probably did his,...

his utility (like your company) probably pays better than a university for entry level too,...

again, three minutes of research would have circumvented the smarmy crap,...

university work has perks other than pay to consider in the equation,...

of course, emoticons can help,.... :P ;) :) 8)

(and yet you already know all of this,... :-\)

peace,...1575

If you can piece together the story on how those two links you posted are related, and get 30-40k/year as the average then you, sir, should be on team at CERN helping to find the God particle.  :stupidme:

But, the OP has already made the decision so it's moot point now.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:53 »
I also have a couple of other prospects that will likely pay in the range I am asking. If (and that is a big IF) Tetra Tech will offer in that range, I may consider their job.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2012, 08:47 »
A little pricey in Ann Arbor.
LM

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2012, 10:26 »

I have been 100% correct on new industry hires child. And I know exactly what a Nuke Eng at Ann Arbor gets because I KNOW some...

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2012, 10:46 »
Yes, Ann Arbor does look rather pricey. That is why I asked for more than 30-40k. I couldn't live there on that bit of salary. Also, I've had an offer to work for my state's Dept. of Transportation for 50k per year. I could live like royalty on that salary in this state. No sense in moving to another state just to live in poverty.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:00 »
Yes, Ann Arbor does look rather pricey. That is why I asked for more than 30-40k. I couldn't live there on that bit of salary. Also, I've had an offer to work for my state's Dept. of Transportation for 50k per year. I could live like royalty on that salary in this state. No sense in moving to another state just to live in poverty.

I lived in Ann Arbor from 1983 to 1987 and I loved it there four months a year. My Siberian Huskies loved it there the rest of the year. If you don't like cold, don't even think about it. On the other hand, if you like living in a relatively small town with big city amenities, go for it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:08 »
I can deal with cold, it's heat that I have a problem with.  8)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:22 »
If you can piece together the story on how those two links you posted are related,...

it's obvious

.....and get 30-40k/year as the average....

academia entry level discount,....

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 »
I have been 100% correct on new industry hires child. And I know exactly what a Nuke Eng at Ann Arbor gets because I KNOW some...

I was refering to how you like to suggest the role of janitor for newbies because 30k sounds about right for that job.

But fair enough - you may know some nuclear engineers in Ann Arbor.  If they are making only 30-40k a year, I suggest you let them know that pay is drastically below the median entry level pay for engineers in the US (http://www1.salary.com/Engineer-I-Salary.html), which also happens to be less than the median entry level pay for a nuclear engineer in Ann Arbor (http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Nuclear-Engineer-I-Salary-Details-Ann-Arbor-MI.aspx)

As discussed earlier, a job in academia or in the govt may pay less but the OP was concerned about low-balling herself.  At 30-40k and the salary distributions linked above, I would call that low-balling.  There is nothing wrong for valuing yourself at the same level as what the market indicates for a given amount of exeperience (0-1 years in this case).

The links above were found via a 3-minute google search thanks to the coaching received from GLW  ;D

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:36 »
it's obvious

Maybe I am not reading something correctly, but where in that Tetratech posting says that it is an academia job?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2012, 01:00 »
.....There is nothing wrong for valuing yourself at the same level as what the market indicates for a given amount of exeperience (0-1 years in this case).......

I do not disagree,...

Maybe I am not reading something correctly, but where in that Tetratech posting says that it is an academia job?

I........................don't......................know.................

svengali moment?!?!?............. :-\

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2012, 02:38 »
University of Michigan is a public school and as such, all salaries are public information.
The salaries for all employee's and their titles are listed on public domains.

UMichigan Pays Well and has great benefits.    Always has. No discount.

There is no listed position of "nuclear engineer associate" but there are a couple mechanical and electrical engineer associates.  
So, the 30K to 40K is 100% BS since that reflects what the starting wage for engineers was.....in 1988.  As a REAL engineer would know.  Since the names of all employees of the UM are listed, lets see the name and title of the so called 30K engineer.  I bet the TVA outage over budget money its over $40K.  I bet its over 50K.  

Mechanical engineer associate.
Maximun Salary   $ 60,792.19
Average Salary   $ 58,396.15
Mminimum Salary   $ 56,000.10

http://www.umsalary.info/alltitlesearch.php?page=30

http://www.umsalary.info/titlesearch.php?Title=Mechanical%20Engineer%20Associate&Year=0&Campus=
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2012, 10:23 by Marlin »
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2012, 03:21 »
University of Michigan is a public school and as such, all salaries are public information....

UMichigan Pays Well and has great benefits.    Always has. No discount.

http://www.umsalary.info/titlesearch.php?Title=Mechanical%20Engineer%20Associate&Year=0&Campus=

That's all good, one holds a Doctorate and the other is a Tauber Institute graduate,...

There's probably more to that salary number at

than what it appears,...

The OP is applying for an entry level position,...

65% of the PhD's or the Tauber grads wage seems appropriate,...

as noted earlier by another poster,....OBE,....
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2012, 03:24 by GLW »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2012, 04:18 »
The company requesting applicants is Tetra Tech, which was not provided by the OP and neither did the OP refute  the invalid assumption it was UM.

$55K minimum I would accept in the OP position and only if there is hardship involved- like I have no leads and have been out of school for a year- I luv Ann Arbor and never want to leave, ect...I would want closer to 70K actually.  There is probably "free work" errr professional  time involved with the position.

In a negotiation the first person to give the number is always at a disadvantage. 
I would ask for the medium starting salary of 63k..... As an entry level position, there will not any negotiation above a certain number that is very close to $63K  and tetra already knows the number.   63K is fair and if they are interested this will at least get a response.  In the mean time get other offers.  Having multiple offers is the best negotiating strategy.

I want to see the name of the "nuclear engineer" making 30K at U michigan.  Especially since the UM reactor has been shut down since the 90's.

Waiting...
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?