Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CGN9 to be scrapped

Author Topic: CGN9 to be scrapped  (Read 3408 times)

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
CGN9 to be scrapped
« on: Jul 12, 2012, 10:40 »
Thought some of you might be interested. Her final days are here.

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-first-nuclear-cruiser-auction-scrap-040101476.html

Offline peachie

• Light User
  • It's my own private, personal, private business.
Re: CGN9 to be scrapped
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2012, 10:51 »
I served as an ELT on her from April 1984 until Nov 1987.  I figured it was only a matter of time until they turned the rest of her into Schick razor blades and Toyota bumpers.   :'(
Better living through chemistry.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Re: CGN9 to be scrapped
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2012, 11:02 »
I do not know the date, but there she sits in a nuke bone yard.

If you have google earth, go to Bremerton, WA.  A lot fewer left for the grinder, but the Long Beach is still there.  It also looks like NR1 is too.

Nuke surface ships died because of the expense to operate them.  Not just being a nuke, but by being steam.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?