Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Frustrated! honeypot

Author Topic: Frustrated!  (Read 14929 times)

newbie99

Frustrated!
« on: Jul 23, 2012, 10:41 »
Ok...I received my nucler enginerring technology degree in May of 2012 and also did an internship at a power plant in 2011 where i gained clearance and maintained it...I have applied all over the United States and to almost every company in the country and I have not been scheduled or contacted to take a test...all i receive is rejection emails...Why will they not even let me test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
Re: Frustrated!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2012, 10:53 »
Pray tell, where have you applied? Have you been blindly placing resumes in your snail-mail and shipping them off to company's HR departments? What position are you applying for? Aside from your internship, what other work experience do you have that relates to the nuclear field?

Offline storm13

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2012, 10:55 »
Sounds like your resume is either poorly written, or lacks responsible work history.  Otherwise "somebody" surely would have at least invited you to test.

newbie99

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:18 »
haha troll? what are you trying to say...and my i have a very good resume along with a good cover letter...ive applied for auxillary ops, ops jhelper, i and c, health physics job...some companies i applied for are southern, tennesse valley, first energy, progress energy, duke, exelon, entergy...and my internship is my only experience because i went back to school to switch careers...i also hav e a bachelors degree in criminal justice...should i take that off my resume?

newbie99

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:26 »
and i do ve alot of responsible work experience...i worked for the state at a correction facility for over 3 years along with other jobs ive held

newbie99

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:36 »
i just want to know if there is something im doing wrong?...or something i should be doing to get an opportunity to test...thats all...i just want to be able to test somewhere...dont care where it is...i just want to be able to test

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 »
If you'd like, feel free to send me a copy of your resume and cover letter sample.

What did you do during your internship, and what plant was it at? Where did you graduate from in May?

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:48 »

newbie99

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2012, 11:54 »
i sent it...i didnt put my personal information on it

DSO

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2012, 12:16 »
Im thinking you're getting skipped over due to so many others having more experience in some sort of Nuke plant. 6 year and out Nukes have more experience than an internship and the job market is flooded with that experience as a minimum. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 by DSO »

newbie99

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2012, 10:42 »
ok...so any ideas of how I can get experience?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2012, 10:46 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2012, 11:45 »

Yeah, first move your cursor over to the Forum tab at the top of the home page at nukeworker.com,...

After the pull down menu appears click on Forum Home,...

Then type "get experience" in the Search field on the right hand side of the Forum Home screen,...

Then click on the Search button,...

You will then get a full page plus of threads, many of which speak to situations similar yours. If you take the time to read through them you will gain insight on how to proceed, perhaps you could PM a person or two on how they persevered and landed a job. Who knows how much you can glean with some additional effort on your part?

Read this excellent post from some time back;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26776.0.html

EJT!!!,... [coffee]

almost forgot,...(sic)
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2012, 11:46 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:48 »
Spell check, please, prior to posting. It's free.

Spelling is dificoul chalanging hard,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

newbie99

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:14 »
Thank u for the tip

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:19 »
I received feedback on flight ops not being a good analogy of Navy life equating to nuclear

So, enjoy it while it lasts....I found THE Navy ad that all the other ads wanna be like!

On-topic: 6 years of Navy would look go on a resume!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2012, 12:45 »
I received feedback on flight ops not being a good analogy of Navy life equating to nuclear
So, enjoy it while it lasts....I found THE Navy ad that all the other ads wanna be like!

I remember my first day in the S1W prototype, everything was spotless it could have been a milk processing facility.  <3

I was much less impressed by the time I left knowing how it was done.  [bad mood]

However with a degree one of the officer programs would be an option.  [coffee]
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2012, 12:50 by Marlin »

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:32 »
Wow my head hurts!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2012, 02:12 »
Spell check, please, prior to posting. It's free.

spill check will knot all ways work four sum won.  gist saying... ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2012, 12:14 »
spill check will knot all ways work four sum won.  gist saying... ;)

I think (s)he took your advice (i.e. in your signature).

click here

MacGyver

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:04 »
Ok...I received my nucler enginerring technology degree in May of 2012 and also did an internship at a power plant in 2011 where i gained clearance and maintained it...I have applied all over the United States and to almost every company in the country and I have not been scheduled or contacted to take a test...all i receive is rejection emails...Why will they not even let me test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First,,, I know that the poster has turned the keys over to his/her account.
Second,,, This should serve as a warning to those that are engaged in an internship.

Why? (you may ask)
Well,,, most interns hire on at the company they intern.  IF (emphasis added) they do a good job.  The point of an internship is not just to utilize cheap labor.  It is an opportunity to give brand recognition to your product.  Which is your desire and abilities to perform in a production driven business.  It also establishes and secures a past work record for those that don't hire with that company but are looking for other opportunities (i.e. as a reference).

That means that this poster has failed to do one or both.  How can I say this,,, because this industry (nuclear) is hiring operator's left, right and center.  But, in truth, it is cyclical hiring.

So,,, all of you current and future interns remember that you don't get a prize for just attending a company's internship.  You must act like you are interviewing for a job everyday (you show up).  Because it is.

Also,,, pick your major with care.  A Nuclear Engineer Technology degree is not an Engineering degree and the industry knows it.  He really put himself in a tough spot.  Because unless he wants to be an operator he really cut his options by 98%.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012, 02:47 by MacGyver »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?