Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

What should be done with Chernobyl #4?

(1/4) > >>

greengoo:
I was watching Cable In The Classroom one morning before school, and it said that the iron structure covering rhe reactor buildiing was rusting away and, if left alone, would crumble and flood the area with radiation yet again.  I'm just curious, what are your all's opinions?

P.S.  Does anyone know how to spell Chernobyl, or am I spelling it right.

P.P.S.  I don't mind getting votes for the last one, if I was ever offended, I'd just stop coming here.
 ;D
Goo. 8)

Roll Tide:
Goo,
Your spelling is correct. Concrete is our friend!. By the way, Chernobyl-4 proves once and for all that you should build your containment structure BEFORE the accident, it's a pain afterwards. ;D

SloGlo:
greengoo,  did that report say how long it was going to take before the oxidation was complete and the collapse commenced?  what other plans are in place for the internment?  do they plan on ever retrieving the ram and putting it in a more safe storage?

HousePuke:
It should be offered for sale to american utilities.  Someone would buy it at "fire sale" prices and then try for re-licensing.
It could happen. ;)

Austria:

--- Quote ---It should be offered for sale to american utilities.  Someone would buy it at "fire sale" prices and then try for re-licensing.
It could happen. ;)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a deal for Exelon.  ;)

As for the condition of the enclosure over the destroyed reactor, I have not seen any estimates on how much longer it may last. I recall some reports a few years back that stated a concern that in the event of a complete and sudden collapse of the structure the release of radioactive contamination to the atmosphere would be equal or greater than the release from the initial explosion.
This type of event would not create quite the same immediate area hazards as when there were bits of fuel and graphite scattered about the complex, but with the tremendous amounts of radioactive contamination still inside such a shock would send an incredible plume airborne.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version