Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC and college questions honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC and college questions  (Read 15398 times)

Offline Creiners

• Very Lite User
NUPOC and college questions
« on: Jul 27, 2012, 02:48 »
Hello. I've been a frequent reader of this forum for a few months now. So I decided to create a profile and ask some questions relating to NUPOC and college.

Basically, I'm an upcoming college freshman, majoring in Nuclear Engineering at Georgia Southern University. I'm in a transfer program called RETP (http://www.admission.gatech.edu/retp), RETP will allow me to transfer to Georgia Tech to complete my Bachelor's of Science in Nuclear Engineering, provided I stick to a specific course load.

My mom is a retired Chief (active-duty for twelve years, reservist for eight). My step-father is an active-duty (E-7/ET) submariner. I've talked to his navigator (O-3) about the various ways of becoming a commissioned line officer. He mentioned NROTC, the Naval Academy, and some other profession/career based entry programs, including NUPOC. He told me he was in NUPOC for his last two years of college, and that he absolutely loved it. So I discussed it with him for a little bit, and then went home and researched into it more in depth. I've got a few questions answered and a few more raised.

Anyways, I've set up my first year schedule to get most of the prerequisites for NUPOC out of the way (I'll have all the perquisites finished by the end of my freshman year, except Calculus-based Physics II). I've read somewhere that I can't apply until at least thirty months prior to my graduation date. I'm not quite sure how my graduation date is determined, I.E.: If I take more courses during the Spring and Fall semesters, or I attend summer school, Will this make the graduation date come sooner? So I wanted to ask, should I enroll insummer school to get Physics II out-of-the way (I'll be taking some other courses as well, such as Calculus III)? If I did attend summer school, I would have all of the prerequisites out-of-the way before I started college my sophomore year (thirty-six months prior to graduation). However, will I still have to wait another semester before I'm eligible to apply? (waiting another semester would put me within the thirty month pre-graduation threshold). So in a nut-shell, I want to beef up my application as much as possible and as soon as possible.

Now for more questions.

Does college prestige matter at all in the application process?-- It seems unlikely that someone with a 4.0 GPA from a community college would be favored over someone with a 3.0-3.5  GPA from MIT or Cal-Tech (just an example).

How important is the intended major?-- It seems than an intended major in Nuclear Engineering would be favored over a major in Biology or Geography.

What classes should I take other than the prerequisites to amplify my application?-- It seems like Chemistry would be highly favorable (however, all the chemistry classes were taken when I was registering my classes, so I'm taking biology instead). Is biology looked upon favorably during the application process?

Does the application factor in extracurricular's such as sports ,clubs, organizations, etc.?-- I was thinking about joining the American Nuclear Society (I don't know if this will help at all in the application process).

Are their specific times when to apply?-- I don't know if I can apply as soon as I knock-out my prerequisites, or if there are certain dates when I can apply.

How long does the application process usually take?-- I know each case is going to be different, based on the simple fact that each individual applicant is different. I'm just asking for a general estimate and/or range minimum to maximum.

Does physical fitness play-a-role during the application process? -- I know I have to take a PT test once every six months (if I got accepted into the program), but does physical fitness/appearance matter during the actual application process?

Does the ASVAB matter at all, in regards to anything officer related?-- I received a 91 cumulative on mine.

Let's say, hypothetically-speaking of course, I do get accepted into NUPOC. How is the monthly pay and the signing bonus determined? -- I believe I've read somewhere that the intended career path determines this (NR, instructor, surface, or submariner). I just wanted to make sure.

Once again, Let's say, hypothetically, I do get accepted into NUPOC. Am I eligible for Tuition Assistance while I'm attending college?

Is it possible to apply to NUPOC more than once?-- For example: Let's say I apply right after my sophomore year, and I don't get accepted. Is it possible for me to re-apply my junior or
senior year?

I want my application to be as strong as possible. If there's any suggestions or critiques on how to strengthen my application, I would greatly appreciate them! Please and Thank-You!

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012, 05:13 by Creiners »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
Re: NUPOC and college questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2012, 08:36 »
There is plenty info here and at nukewarriors_dot_com about NUPOC.  The other site I just mentioned isn't active with posts anymore but all the posts and info is still there just wade through it.

College prestige prob plays just a small factor, but the board is looking at 3 main things.  GPA.  GPA in calc and physics. Major.

Engineering is favored over non-engineering, but if you have the pre-reqs and are a non-engineering major it's still possible to get accepted.

They most likely don't care about bio (unless you get a low grade) then they'll prob ask you about it.  Extra curriculars don't really come into the picture if at all.  Application is rolling; submit when you can.  The boards usually meet once a month. Some districts make you take your PT test before going to interview.  ASVAB is for enlisted only and doesn't apply.  If you take a URL position (SWO-N or SUBS) you get a bonus.  For all positions you'll be paid at E-5 or E-6 (can't remember).  If you refer someone to NUPOC and they get in you'll get a bump in pay to the next pay grade.  You can apply more than once.

If I were you, I'd go with the planned out curriculum and not worry about taking summer school to get ahead.  Just make sure you ace all your classes.  ESPECIALLY calc and physics.  For NUPOC, the best way to "beef up" your application is by getting A's in all your classes.  The name of the game is passing the screening and getting an interview.  From there it's about how well you perform.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2012, 11:28 »
To add a little something concerning the fitness question:

Looks can mean everything.  If you go in looking like a fat slob, well, you can draw your own conclusion there.

As for clubs and extra curricular activities, officers are supposed to be leaders.  Anything that demonstrates to the Navy that you at least have the potential to lead people, is a big plus.

Best of luck and stay active here!

Offline Creiners

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2012, 12:33 »
Thanks a ton. I will look into the other NUPOC-related topics on this website!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2012, 12:49 »
NUPOC is way overdue for a FAQ thread,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Creiners

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:58 »
I've looked through this website and nukewarriors.com, and I can't find any information on tuition assistance. Does anyone know if it's possible to receive it while you're in NUPOC?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:32 »
I've looked through this website and nukewarriors.com, and I can't find any information on tuition assistance. Does anyone know if it's possible to receive it while you're in NUPOC?

http://www.navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html

Bottom of the page.

They might expect some initiative and search skills though....

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2012, 08:55 »

I would venture to say no.  If you make it into NUPOC, you're being paid at the E-6 pay grade to do nothing except make good grades and not get fat.  Based off of the 2012 pay charts that is almost $40k a year ($2318 base pay and about $1000 bah depending on where in Georgia you are).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2012, 09:46 »

You must be active duty to use TA.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Creiners

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2012, 02:33 »
Thank you very much for the information.

Offline kvnbaumann

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2016, 01:09 »
However, when you enter NUPOC, you are "technically" active duty so "technically" wouldn't you be applicable to tuition assistance?

HeavyD

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:12 »
The intent of the program is that the pay you receive is used to cover your expenses, including your tuition.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:20 »
No, as you're in a training status, you're ineligible for TA.

Offline Matt

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2016, 10:25 »
NUPOC students are prohibited from using TA per the following restriction:

"TA cannot be used by those in a duty-under-instruction status or in an officer accession program involving full time instruction at a civilian institution."

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 01:09 »
Creiners,

I'll attempt to answer all of your questions in order:

College Prestige?  -- Yes it matters. There is a tiered system of schools which is used for considering applications, as well as some leeway for discretion by screeners --- ie.  even though Penn State and MIT are both the top tier, clearly if all other things are equal MIT will win out... 

Intended Major? -- It's important. Having said that the requirement is that you've taken 2 semesters of Calculus and Physics (each - 4 total).  If you've got great ACT/SAT scores, a high GPA, good grades in your technical courses but are a French major --- you're still eligible.  Personally I was an Economics major in undergrad at the Naval Academy but was a Submariner, and know of quite a few similar cases. 

Class choices?  -- Most importantly get good grades in whatever you choose.  If all of your classes sound comparable to underwater basket weaving or Argentinian Womens studies someone might look askance, but as long ask you're taking real coursework and doing well you'll be fine.  Nuclear stuff maybe gets a slight up-check, but really the GPA is more important. 

Extracurriculars -- We're looking for LEADERS and Engineers.  The "whole person concept" applies, and I've seen several people be accepted despite borderline interviews based on extracurriculars.  Short answer: yes, it helps.  On the other hand if you can't do real math it won't help enough.  It's an "on the margins" type of help. 

Times to apply -- For operational (Submarines/Surface) and Instructor (Prototype and Power School) you can go to interview 30 months prior to graduating --- basically December or January of your sophomore year.  You could start an application as early as the summer after your freshman year. 

How long does Application take?  --- It varies, but basically it depends on how quickly you complete paperwork associated with the application and associated security clearance, and if there are any issues getting medical clearance.  It can take under a month.  The average is probably 6-10 weeks.  If there's a big issue with Medical, I've seen year-long applications who eventually got accepted. 

Physical fitness -- You have to be within fitness standards to go to MEPs (basically you can't get medical clearance if you're really fat).  Otherwise the only way it comes into play is that being fit will make you look more put together when you're at your interviews and with the Admiral.  Right or wrong (I think right), physical appearance reflects the standard one sets for oneself and if you are obese that doesn't inspire confidence. 

ASVAB is ignored for NUPOC.  We look at the caliber of the university, any masters/PhD work (though this is irrelevant if your undergrad GPA is bad), your SAT/ACT scores, and your GPA -- especially your grades in math/engineering/physical science courses.  I'm in charge of selecting applicants for the NUPOC interviews, and I honestly don't even know what ASVAB stands for... so no.

Monthly Pay/Signing bonus.  Bonus is $15,000 as a one-time payment after getting accepted with a smaller bonus once you pass the training pipeline (I think this is $2500 or $3000; not huge but not Zero).  You won't get another bonus in the Nuclear Navy until after your 5 year commitment if you decide to stay in.  The monthly pay as a NUPOC will show up via direct deposit bimonthly.  There are 3 basic components:  Base pay (this is your taxable pay, the rest is -- awesomely -- tax exempt), Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) and Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).  BAS and Base Pay are standard (you'll be paid as an "E6" initially with an opportunity to promote to "E7" while in college --- search Google for "Military Pay Chart" to see this.  BAS is a few hundred-ish.  BAH varies based on where you live -- in San Francisco its about $4,000/month.  In Tupelo Mississippi it's surely much less.  The average for an E6 is somewhere between 1000-2000/month but you should look this up based on where your school is. (all is publicly available). 

Tuition Assistance --- As discussed above.  Short answer, no.  You're getting paid to go to school.  Pay for school with your pay.  ***** One caveat:

Post 9-11 GI Bill --- Your time in NUPOC will count towards retirement and towards your Post-9/11 GI bill benefits.  This can be a huge benefit.  For instance, Of the top 10 MBA programs only 1 (University of Pennsylvania) is >$15k/year after GI Bill benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program (vice ~70k/year without).  Two (University of Virginia and Dartmouth) are completely free.  You also get a housing and living stipend while in school ---- Basically when/if you decide to leave the Navy you can take these benefits and attend the best school you get into for nothing or next to nothing if prefer that route to entering the workforce immediately.   (I used MBA as an example because that's the route I'm taking; same would apply for MEM, JD, other Masters etc)

Apply >once?  Depends on what you mean.  You can apply multiple times, but with very rare exceptions you only get one shot to go to DC for your interviews.  Occasionally the Admiral will offer for a student to come back after a semester to re-interview, in which case they can obviously return  --- but this is the exception and not the rule. 

------

I hope this helps you and any others with similar questions. 

Best regards,
Nuclear Officer Accessions Manager
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?