Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Re: Thanks NukeWorker!  

Author Topic: Re: Thanks NukeWorker!  (Read 16347 times)

Offline tingkka

• Light User
Re: Thanks NukeWorker!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:52 »
I didn't say you said that. You chose to share you experience, and I shared mine. I actually work in the industry..., so whose do you think is more accurate to the real world?

In the small sample of people you know, it is their EWS quals that mattered, not being an ET.

My whole point of bickering with you is, that it isn't right to set people up with a false expectation of 100K+ jobs simply by being an ET. It isn't true. It has been covered many times here before, but to us, the industry, your rate matters little. An enlisted nuke is an enlisted nuke..., simple as that.

I didn't mean to throw in any mis-interpretation here.  All i meant was that ETs were getting out.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:16 »
I never said ET's are the majority.  What I'm saying is that ET's advance at a much faster rate and have better multiples.  And from my experience, most ETs leave because of better jobs outside of the Navy after spending 10 years in Navy. 
I never said MMs or EMs have it worse getting out.  I just don't know about their life after they get out and most EMs i've known re-enlist and stay in despite the hard work they put out.

Well... I was a 6 year and out EM. Earned EWS as a second class PO, made first in about 4 years. We rarly worked hours like you described unless something was broken. About 1/2 of the EMs got out. My first job was as a radiochemist not because of my knowledge or experience but my ability to learn..... Then went commercial from NLO through SRO. It has been my experience the MMs typically had a easier time learning to be a NLO because that was their bread and butter. EM and ET were typically quicker at the start in RO because of their experience with control room ops. But all that passed became good ROs. It is not the job classification you choose... It is how you apply yourself in each endeavor.

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:27 »
Well... I was a 6 year and out EM. Earned EWS as a second class PO, made first in about 4 years. We rarly worked hours like you described unless something was broken. About 1/2 of the EMs got out.

I thought it was a common theme for EMs to have it hard.  My friends on few other boats tells me that they do what our EMs do.  I do help my EMs with minor maintenance like C&I of SSMG and Precep cleaning.  The crappy part of their job is that they're down to 6 EMs.  Our ship ran a ground few years back and they're still finding stuff affected by it. 

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:52 »
The EM's on my boat seemed to have it much worse than everyone else also.  On a 688 late 80s early 90s.  Always cleaning the MG sets!!  One tried to commit suicide and went awol, one's hair fell out then grew back due to stress, and one got out smoothly on the "wife and kid" scam.  You go Kyle!!

Offline tingkka

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2011, 12:51 »
One tried to commit suicide and went awol

We had one on our boat like that.  He didn't try committing suicide, but he did desert.  Nevertheless, he came back 42 days later.  He'll be processed out soon though.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:54 »
I was a first class in 4 years 4 months. Others were close. MMs.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Yeah, I was an MM2 in 11 mos., 27 days.  MM1 almost exactly 4 years.  And we were in before there was such a thing as Early Promotion (whatever that is).

Anybody care to explain the "wife and kids scam"?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2011, 03:41 »
Yeah, I was an MM2 in 11 mos., 27 days.  MM1 almost exactly 4 years.  And we were in before there was such a thing as Early Promotion (whatever that is).

Anybody care to explain the "wife and kids scam"?

I think it's the modern "hardship discharge" thing,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2011, 09:18 »
Oh.  When my ex took off and left the kids, I just brought them to live with my parents and hired a nanny to help.  The command threatened to kick me out unless I got sworn statements that I could provide care for my children.  It was no big deal.
When the oldest of those kids divorced her husband, the Army issued the same threat to her.  So, her sisters and the same ex-wife who took off are helping to care for her kids so she can stay in.  The military does not care to have single parents on their hands.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:51 »
Made it to goose creek. Boot camp was a joke, some people thought it was hard. There are around 200 people in indoc right now so it may be a little while before I class up. I am an ET, almost forgot to mention. I got here on the 7th and am moving into my base housing on the 13th with my wife and two kids. Thanks for all the advice you have given. I will give a better synopsis when I am on a computer and not my phone.

-Derek
-Future Submarine Nuke ET

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 »
Made it to goose creek. Boot camp was a joke, some people thought it was hard. There are around 200 people in indoc right now so it may be a little while before I class up. I am an ET, almost forgot to mention. I got here on the 7th and am moving into my base housing on the 13th with my wife and two kids. Thanks for all the advice you have given. I will give a better synopsis when I am on a computer and not my phone.

-Derek

SAY WHAT?! lol

congrats. First, small step. Good luck.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:22 »
I was a first class in 4 years 4 months. Others were close. MMs.

You do not know what you are talking about.

And I and another  EM were in the same timeframe for earning First Class as Mike. 

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:09 »

-Derek

Another dozen will join you from my son's boot camp division that just graduated on Friday. I don't even know how many nukes there are in the other divisions that graduated with my son's.
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:58 »
Update:  Classed up on January 30th and had a week of briefs.  I got picked up as the Master-At-Arms of my class, 1218M/T.  Just finished my first week of school.  I have found it easy so far.  A lot of people are having problems already though.  The study hours are mandatory 15-2's for the first few weeks until they have an idea of how your exam scores are.  I have my first math exam on Monday.  If anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to ask me.  Almost forgot to mention, I am living in base housing.  It is nice, just got remodeled right before I moved in.  If anyone has any questions about being married here at nnptc, the housing, or anything else, please ask.

-Derek

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:44 »
Keep up good work derek. There was a lot grab-assing and horseplay goin on when I went through; keep your focus, and you should do well.

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:19 »
My son is very likely going through A school with you, Derek.

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #40 on: Jul 17, 2012, 05:04 »
Just finished my first leg in the nuclear pipeline.  Comped today with a 3.73 and graduate on Friday Class Honorman.  Cleaver6, your son did really well throughout all of A-School.  For anyone about to class up, get a class leadership position, it reflects well on your Evals.  If anyone has questions about any of A-School I am willing to take a look at it.  Nukeworker has been a great resource for me so far and I want to give back.

Fermi2

« Reply #41 on: Jul 17, 2012, 06:09 »
Keep it up Derek!!!!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #42 on: Jul 17, 2012, 06:17 »
Just finished my first leg in the nuclear pipeline.  Comped today with a 3.73 and graduate on Friday Class Honorman.  Cleaver6, your son did really well throughout all of A-School.  For anyone about to class up, get a class leadership position, it reflects well on your Evals.  If anyone has questions about any of A-School I am willing to take a look at it.  Nukeworker has been a great resource for me so far and I want to give back.

Congratulations! Well done! And thanks for sticking around and being willing to be a positive force for others around here.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline silverbullet02

• Light User
« Reply #43 on: Jul 18, 2012, 12:15 »
Congrats!  You headed to NY or staying in Charleston?

Offline DS358

• Nuke-In-Training
  • Light User
« Reply #44 on: Jul 19, 2012, 06:53 »
I only graduated A-school, not power school. I hope to stay in Charleston though.

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Jul 30, 2012, 10:59 »

I've been away from the site for a bit. Thanks for the feedback on the kid. Why does he now stand watches for over one month before being allowed to take leave? I'm just curious.

Congrats on taking that first step!

stefanc2011

« Reply #46 on: Jul 31, 2012, 05:27 »
I've been away from the site for a bit. Thanks for the feedback on the kid. Why does he now stand watches for over one month before being allowed to take leave? I'm just curious.

Congrats on taking that first step!
This is most likely because he entered T-Track directly after a Power School class-up, and they are short on people to stand the watches.  He will be allowed to take leave after a month or so, once the pool of individuals to stand watch goes back up.

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
« Reply #47 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:48 »
This is most likely because he entered T-Track directly after a Power School class-up, and they are short on people to stand the watches.  He will be allowed to take leave after a month or so, once the pool of individuals to stand watch goes back up.

Ah, thanks, makes sense. He's had a leave date since before A school was done.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #48 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:26 »
Boot camp advise:
Ask the person who has the last fire watch wake you up 10 minutes before everyone else. Use this time to get fully squared away & stay ahead of the curve.
When I went through boot camp (USMC) we did this for the whole platoon, not just one recruit. It was always better if everybody started out the day on a good note. It also showed your willingness and ability to work as a team, a major requirement of being in the military. [2cents]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 02, 2012, 02:38 »
This thread was split from Thanks Nukeworker post, the Post that started this thread is copied below.

I just wanted to thank all of the people here on NukeWorker for all of the great information present here.  I have been reading these forums for about a year and they definitely pushed me in the direction of becoming a navy nuke.  The military was always something that I wanted to try, and after being in retail for a few years while taking college classes, I decided it was time to do something else.  I looked into the different branches looking for a challenging field, and found out about being a navy nuke.  When I went to the recruiter and told him I wanted to be a nuke, he sort of laughed.  When I came back with a 99 AFQT with a 275 nuke line score, he had me enlisted within the week.  I ship out for RTC Great Lakes on November 2, and am looking forward to it.  I have been reading the forums for a while, but never felt the need to post because you guys already have all of the information anyone could need.  I just wanted to thank you all for your expertise in the field and for telling people about the great opportunities this field has to offer them.

-Derek

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?