Career Path > Resume & Interview

Why You Didn't Get the Interview

<< < (3/6) > >>

OldHP:

--- Quote from: Rerun on Apr 13, 2016, 10:19 ---Bullcrap
--- End quote ---

The company in question does exactly that! 

TechSuper:
My question, which I am sure applies to most traveling contractors, is; "How do you cover your experience in one, two, or even three pages when the companies being applied to require that you list your job history by date to eliminate time gaps?" Those of us who have been in the business for say >30 years have worked at so many locations that they take up at least that many pages, so how do we reduce the length and still identify our jobs and employers? I have sent my resume to numerous resume builders who when completed have created a resume that doesn't even fit my qualifications. Granted they have utilized those key words and phrases but the resume looks like something that came out of a novices mind set. The experience that many of us have covers a huge gambit of experience, not just say HP, but also procedure writing, training, QA/QC, and etc. This cannot all be reduced into a single paragraph that covers all of the responsibilities and tasks of those positions.

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: TechSuper on Feb 26, 2020, 02:29 ---My question, which I am sure applies to most traveling contractors, is; "How do you cover your experience in one, two, or even three pages when the companies being applied to require that you list your job history by date to eliminate time gaps?" Those of us who have been in the business for say >30 years have worked at so many locations that they take up at least that many pages, so how do we reduce the length and still identify our jobs and employers? I have sent my resume to numerous resume builders who when completed have created a resume that doesn't even fit my qualifications. Granted they have utilized those key words and phrases but the resume looks like something that came out of a novices mind set. The experience that many of us have covers a huge gambit of experience, not just say HP, but also procedure writing, training, QA/QC, and etc. This cannot all be reduced into a single paragraph that covers all of the responsibilities and tasks of those positions.

--- End quote ---

There is not a one size that fits all. 
IF you are an RP tech contractor, looking for an RP Tech contractor job, list all of the jobs, and all of the tasks at each job.
If you are a Rad Engineer, you would probably list the skills/experience you have on one or two pages, with a complete work history on a different document.

It really depends on your target audience, and their expectations.

ipregen:
It's been a while since I reviewed contractor resumes but I would not even look at the samples shown here. It's a lot of nebulous content. What I did look for was the type of work you did and where along with how long you have been in your present title. So SGRP/pipe replacement/refuel floor/ SG inspections all mattered. How many stations you had been to as well as how often you went back. If someone was rarely a returnee then that means something. But I also looked for up and comers. I didn't want only old timers who just want to tell stories all day, and if I did have questions I would call Bartlett or Atlantic for more info. If you were a pain in the butt last outage you would be skipping our next one.

TechSuper:
In some situations, as a consultant, opportunities to return to jobs/locations were rare and generally far between. Many of us work at a level that is not at the technician level, more management and consulting. With that being said I have found that a resume writer that is not nuclear has difficulty understanding how to logically write a resume for outside the nuclear field.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version