Career Path > Resume & Interview

Why You Didn't Get the Interview

<< < (5/6) > >>

Marlin:

--- Quote from: TechSuper on Mar 04, 2020, 11:02 ---I guess this useful conversation is over. Just thought maybe there was a respectful level of professionalism that would prevail but as it appears that is not the case. There are those in today's environment that don't fall into the level of knowledge that was displayed in this discussion.

--- End quote ---

It is a bit hard in a flexible contract field where one may fill staff augmentation in a variety of roles and facilities from job to job to have one all encompassing resume. Mike earlier mentioned this.

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Feb 26, 2020, 08:18 ---There is not a one size that fits all. 
IF you are an RP tech contractor, looking for an RP Tech contractor job, list all of the jobs, and all of the tasks at each job.
If you are a Rad Engineer, you would probably list the skills/experience you have on one or two pages, with a complete work history on a different document.

It really depends on your target audience, and their expectations.

--- End quote ---

As a technician verifying requirements to meet standards is the primary function of a resume. As you move up to more responsible positions experience in an area of expertise and accomplishments become more important. If you are a nuclear roadie having a number of resumes to fit multiple disciplines is a must aimed at nuclear in general, or to a BWR vs a PWR, specific facility project, remediation, etc etc.. As the position advances a cover letter becomes important to condense the resume to an easily understood synopsis and to avoid having your resume trash canned because the reviewers do not want to or have time to wade through long bloviations or chronological listing of jobs. The cover letter may also be a short synopsis on the top of a resume as contract companies frequently do not forward a cover letter with a resume. In more senior positions references become important, list at least three if you have them at the bottom of the resume. References should be from the same discipline as the position you are seeking if possible.

Hope this helps, I know it is a bit broad but there is not a magic bullet. Talking to recruiters or facility as what they are looking for helps. If you read some requirements in adds they list a standard blurb that may not be exactly what they want but has been filtered through Human Resources.

Fluffy Bunny:

--- Quote from: ipregen on Mar 03, 2020, 12:00 ---It's been a while since I reviewed contractor resumes but I would not even look at the samples shown here.

--- End quote ---

Like they said, not everyone is a contractor or a tech.  It depends on your target audience.  The resume you describe would not be considered for a professional level position (Manager, Engineer, etc).  Which is why Rennhack described two different example scenarios.  They are many other scenarios, with many other 'correct ways' to make a resume.  You have to know your audience, and write a document for what your audience wants to see.  If you were applying for a Plant Manager job, and you offered YOU idea of what is good.  You wouldn't make it to the interview.  They don't have time to read through 50 pages describing WHAT you can do, and HOW you fulfill the requirements. 

--- Quote from: ipregen on Mar 04, 2020, 11:26 ---Maybe that's a reflection on you. I had found people are always welcome back if they did a good job and established good relationships.

--- End quote ---

It's kinda hard to return to a decommissioning project, after you have turned it into a green field...  Or to write a license to a new reactor after that reactor is running. You keep thinking that everyone is a contract RP tech at a refueling outage.  That is a small portion of the world.  And not what we are talking about.  Seems more of a reflection of YOU, and your ignorance.

For a contract RP job, you should refer to the OTHER statement.

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Feb 26, 2020, 08:18 ---There is not a one size that fits all. 
IF you are an RP tech contractor, looking for an RP Tech contractor job, list all of the jobs, and all of the tasks at each job.

--- End quote ---

And sure, IF you are an outage worker, going back to the same place many times is a good indication that you don't totally suck...  but then again, maybe that worker doesnt have a drivers license and his mom takes him to work in his 40's...maybe the plant is hard to staff, so they take the same old weirdo that is local, just because they come every time, and they have a known quantity.  Maybe that weirdo is basically useless, but again, its a known quantity.  Being a returnee just means that person likes what is known and comfortable.  The person that has been to 50 different sites might be welcome back, but would prefer the excitement and challenge of learning new things, and new perspectives.... but I guess you like the "that's the way we have always done it" vs "I know a better way to do it"...

I have one last thing to say...

Bashing other people that are trying to write a resume for a DIFFERENT job than the one you have, is asinine.

TVA:
Any job. Over one page. I throw it away.

fiveeleven:

I have one last thing to say...Bashing other people that are trying to write a resume for a DIFFERENT job than the one you have, is asinine.
[/quote]

As is word-capitalization when applied as an agent of frustration.

TVA:

--- Quote from: fiveeleven on Mar 07, 2020, 05:08 ---I have one last thing to say...Bashing other people that are trying to write a resume for a DIFFERENT job than the one you have, is asinine.

As is word-capitalization when applied as an agent of frustration.

--- End quote ---

Agreed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version