Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Hanford Saga honeypot

Author Topic: The Hanford Saga  (Read 60571 times)

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
Re: The Hanford Saga
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:27 »
They are still trying to get approval from the union to hire contractors. If they get that then there will be a contract, if not then they will continue with the normal hiring process. So watch the Hanford.gov web site.

Offline American.Badger

• Very Lite User
« Reply #51 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:55 »
They are still trying to get approval from the union to hire contractors. If they get that then there will be a contract, if not then they will continue with the normal hiring process. So watch the Hanford.gov web site.

Thanks Protectolpgist, and Sorry for this late reply.   Anyways, I am going up there and thanks again for the info.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2015, 12:01 by American.Badger »

Offline American.Badger

• Very Lite User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:07 »
You should talk them into paying for an add...

Not much convincing was needed,  ...

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:56 »
WRPS has just hired their first contract techs. I haven't found out who the contractor is but it isn't Bartlett or DeNuke. Whoever it was made a mistake. They didn't tell their people they would have to take and pass the DOE core exam before they start getting paid. They walked into the exam cold.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #54 on: Apr 03, 2015, 11:57 »
WRPS has just hired their first contract techs. I haven't found out who the contractor is but it isn't Bartlett or DeNuke. Whoever it was made a mistake. They didn't tell their people they would have to take and pass the DOE core exam before they start getting paid. They walked into the exam cold.

Regardless of who is the contractor!  Any "qualified", "experienced", "senior", or any other term you want to use, technician, that doesn't understand that the "DOE Core" is required on a DOE Site, probably doesn't belong on the site, i.e., they should not have been "walking into the exam cold" (and shouldn't have been hired in the first place)!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Apr 04, 2015, 11:21 »
All RCT's are not created equal.  Some sites just require a 'core' card that covers the first 13 modules.  Those techs could be in that boat.

Some sites with exceptional hazards like Hanford, LANL, INL, etc have more robust requirements, such as the WHOLE RCT test battery, Part 1 '13 common core', Part 2, '19 Site specifics', and part 3, Oral Board. (In addition to the OJT/OJQ).

People that have only been at low hazard sites (like pCi/gm dirt work) are not aware of the more robust requirements, and could very well be surprised.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Apr 04, 2015, 11:34 »
And don't forget there are "Senior" RCTs at Hanford that have been there for years, that know they have to pass that test every two years, that struggle with the test. And they have a two year warning and are given two days of review/study before taking the test. Some people just have problems with tests. I've know a lot of good techs that have the knowledge and skills to be valuable in the field but are not comfortable in the classroom.
The bottom line is that if you're coming to Hanford, know there is a written exam. Even if you are exempted from the "core" you will need to take and pass the site specific portion. Do your homework. This site is a good resource for study and test prep.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 04, 2015, 06:56 »
So, subcontractors have to pass the CORE before they get paid?  With a policy like that I am guessing no travel pay, per diem, insurance, sick/vacation days, etc? 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Apr 05, 2015, 11:05 »
So, subcontractors have to pass the CORE before they get paid?  With a policy like that I am guessing no travel pay, per diem, insurance, sick/vacation days, etc? 

The DOE won't pay the prime, and the Prime won't pay subs for 'non-productive' time, which includes training (or vacation/holidays).

It's up to the subs to build in that non-billable time into their billing rate averaged over the year.  -- But hey, if they can talk enough people into working for a week (training) without pay, then it could become a new trend. -- One that could easily spread to other DOE sites.

Some subs will tell you that if you fail, you don't get paid (because they can never get that money back).  As it is, it takes a sub 3 months to make back the non-billable time of that 1 week of training.  If you quit before that, they lose money.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2015, 08:03 by Rennhack »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #59 on: Apr 05, 2015, 09:44 »
When I went to Aiken (SRS-SRR) in 2010 they told me before I went I wouldn't be paid until the DOE core test  was passed and that I had to pass the DOE core test the day I got there (so I could start getting paid by going to training the day after the test).  Everything worked out but it was for sure a concern that made me think twice before going.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #60 on: Apr 06, 2015, 12:55 »
Below is the standard contract the DOE has at all DOE sites with the primary vendor, which flows down to all subs.  It adds up to 80 hours of training that the vendors can't bill for.  The site manager is also not a billable position.

The Company will provide payment only for hours where productive work is performed.  No payment will be made to the Contractor for time spent conducting personal business, Contractor Company business, or travel time to or from the work place assignment.

The indicated training/qualifications in the table below for candidates not previously trained and qualified (must be documentable) is considered non billable in support of this statement of work.   The Contractor’s On-Site Project Manager will coordinate scheduling of training to assure efficient use of students’ overall time to minimize cost to Contractor.  Additional training for on-site work is required, and shall be performed in performance of this SOW.

General Training
Required Security Training
Hazwoper 40-hour Course
DOE RCT CORE

Proposed personnel will not be engaged in providing productive service (billable) hours until all of the above training is completed.  All of the above training is at the cost of the contractor.

Non-productive time, holidays, sick leave, vacation, personal business, corporate business, doctor appointments, jury duty, travel time to and from primary work location, site closures, weather delays, early release, compensatory or offsetting time, etc. shall not be billable.   

Again, a GOOD sub usually builds that cost into their billable hours, and pays the student if they pass, but it takes a long time to break even.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2015, 01:00 by Rennhack »

moochiebubble

« Reply #61 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:59 »
Could I please get current info on Hanford , contract , pay , housing , etc ???  Thank you for your time.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:54 »
Just a thought, have you tried contacting Marcom?

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=43357

Offline joejack45

• Very Lite User
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2016, 10:55 »
Could I please get current info on Hanford , contract , pay , housing , etc ???  Thank you for your time.

Pay is north of $35/hr.Union shop. Marcom is working the WCH contract(i think), which is currently on its way out. The nice thing is you are more north Richland rather than "the site," so your drive is shorter. There are a lot of apartments in the Richland area, and 2 very nice RV parks near site. Expect to pay $700+ for an apartment.
Over the past two years most the contract techs have been offered house jobs if they want them.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:07 »
The WCH contract is being passed to CHPRC over the course of 2016. CHPRC is deciding how many of the WCH people they will need. One of the considerations is another CHPRC project has "peaked" and they are starting to look for places to assign the people working at that project. Many WCH people will be looking for a place to go this summer and fall. The contract with WCH for RCTs will not last beyond that time.

moochiebubble

« Reply #65 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:57 »
Thank you very much for your time and info.   :)

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #66 on: Jan 15, 2016, 12:39 »
$39.05/hr is the current union rate for Sr. HP techs

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?