Career Path > Tax Q&A

travel expenses for interview

(1/2) > >>

gogamecocks:
Do you think it is unusual for a company to not offer to pay travel expenses for an interview? My husband has several job interviews lined up over a two week period. One company did not offer to pay travel expenses plus they want him to come mid-week for an interview. This would require additional leave days to accommodate as it is about a 9 hr drive away. He tried to get them to change the interview to a Friday or Monday so he could drive there(cheaper)and so as to not take extra leave days. They said no. I'm thinking he should just do a phone interview. The other companies offered to pay to fly him in and pay hotel and car rentals without him even asking. My thinking is they either have a bunch of people they are interviewing and that lowers his chance of getting an offer anyway and/or they might just not be a great company to work for. Maybe this is a red flag. ???

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: gogamecocks on Aug 31, 2012, 01:25 ---Do you think it is unusual for a company to not offer to pay travel expenses for an interview? My husband has several job interviews lined up over a two week period. One company did not offer to pay travel expenses plus they want him to come mid-week for an interview. This would require additional leave days to accommodate as it is about a 9 hr drive away. He tried to get them to change the interview to a Friday or Monday so he could drive there(cheaper)and so as to not take extra leave days. They said no. I'm thinking he should just do a phone interview. The other companies offered to pay to fly him in and pay hotel and car rentals without him even asking. My thinking is they either have a bunch of people they are interviewing and that lowers his chance of getting an offer anyway and/or they might just not be a great company to work for. Maybe this is a red flag. ???

--- End quote ---

You got it.  :/

tolstoy:
If your husband is applying for a non-management position the company might not pay for an interview. I had one company in the past start out by not paying and then when I balked they mysteriously found the money. My experience is that good companies will treat you well from the first phone call. They have a culture that permeates the entire organization. You'll have to decide how much you want the job.   

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: gogamecocks on Aug 31, 2012, 01:25 --- My thinking is they either have a bunch of people they are interviewing and that lowers his chance of getting an offer anyway and/or they might just not be a great company to work for. Maybe this is a red flag. ???

--- End quote ---

I concur with your hunch, and UncaBuffalo.

gogamecocks:
Thanks for your thoughts. He really has to manage his leave dates for interviews as his terminal leave starts on 12/21/12. I would prefer for him to be retired and home for Christmas(we currently live in different states). Of course, I want him to have a job lined up too but he seems to be getting interviews fairly easy now that he is in his 3-4 month window.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version