Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu L clearance length  

Author Topic: L clearance length  (Read 12140 times)

Offline LLG

• Very Lite User
L clearance length
« on: Sep 06, 2012, 02:38 »
Hello All,

I am currently under investigation for L security clearance. I submitted my paperwork, SF-86 etc., in middle of April and am still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I even managed to contact the local officer who conducted my interview, and he said that he had turned his report in April as well. By the way, I have nothing on my record (financial or criminal) that could hinder this process. I was born in another country but I already surrendered my passport.

I understand that the length of the investigation process is different for each person, but what is the typical length of such investigations? Is it usual for it to take beyond six months? I finished school and was expecting to start the job right away but if it is going to take many months, maybe I should get a temporary job.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Patients

• Very Lite User
Re: L clearance length
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2012, 01:06 »
Hey, I'm on the same page as you. I submitted my SF-86 in May 2012, but I had to resubmit the paperwork in June 2012. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was wondering if you got your clearance yet. If not, I hope you get it soon.

It sucks how as a potential candidate, one has to wait for an indefinite amount of time for clearance. At least give us an estimation; so we know to work temporary or go on vacation. Anyhow, good luck.

PS: Not sure if you checked this site yet, but according to clearancejobs, DOE clearances take about 67 business days on average. (http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared-news/147/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-security-clearance-1q-fy10)

Offline LLG

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2012, 01:40 »
Hey Patients,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I had checked that website, and after my clearance had taken longer than some of my friends, I was just getting worried. However, someone else told me that it could even take as long as a year.

For this reason, I started applying to other places. It's not fair to them, but I don't see how they can expect people to just wait doing nothing to hear back.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2012, 02:36 »
Hey Patients,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I had checked that website, and after my clearance had taken longer than some of my friends, I was just getting worried. However, someone else told me that it could even take as long as a year.

For this reason, I started applying to other places. It's not fair to them, but I don't see how they can expect people to just wait doing nothing to hear back.

GLW <------- 11 months for an approved L clearance, circa 1988,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2012, 03:10 »
GLW <------- 11 months for an approved L clearance, circa 1988,...

But that was due to all your subscriptions to Soviet Life and Rolling Stone magazines, right?  :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2012, 03:49 »
But that was due to all your subscriptions to Soviet Life and Rolling Stone magazines, right?  :P

Actually, it was because I was in the US Navy for eight years plus, had numerous duty stations during those years and had visited a lot of places overseas,...

At least that's what they told me,.... :-\

Rolling Stone eh?!?!?!?!?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Patients

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2012, 05:33 »
To LLG,

Good luck on your search. I've been applying to other places, but I majored in mechanical engineering and my school trained me in doing things that most contractors/governments want. So regardless I'll need clearance. I have no experience with non clearance jobs like construction. LOL, guess all it comes down to is patients.

Offline LLG

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:17 »
To Patients,

Did you hear back at all yet regarding your security clearance?

Thanks

Offline Patients

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2012, 01:46 »
To LLG,

Yea, I heard back early November (got the clearance  :)), but due to the federal sequester my start date is uncertain until January. I hope they don't retract my offer in the near future. In the mean time, I found a job that is teaching me the ins and outs of civil engineering. Don't wait for the clearance. FIND a temp job or even volunteer!!!

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012, 01:48 by Patients »

Offline LLG

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:22 »
Hello Patients,

That is good to hear. Congratulations on getting your clearance and I hope that you will hear back from your hiring company soon.

Thanks for the info.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?