Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tried to stay in... One year later, "You separate Friday"  

Author Topic: Tried to stay in... One year later, "You separate Friday"  (Read 9798 times)

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
Hello Nuke Worker. Firstly, let me say this is my first post ever on the board, and "I am protected". As an SA forum user I understand not to sh*t post, but I feel my situation is too unique to find my answer through a search function. I seek honest advice without any reprimand.

First some back story:

I'm a Nuke ET, I'm on the ship thats "First and best in it's class". I've been in the Navy 4 years and some change, and on this boat about 2 years. I went through Basic Nuke quals as soon as I got on the boat. When I made it to the end of the qual, I was failed three times and de-nuked. I immediately submitted a force conversion package with the intention of staying in the navy to at least finish my contract on a new leaf. I track it's routing for 6 months hoping I get a new rate. When we last pulled into port I took some leave, and the day I came last week I'm told I separate that Friday. I'm basically WTF at this point and rush through the separation process. No TAPs, no terminal leave, no separation pay. I was able to get my separation date changed to this Friday. I feel like I'm literally kicked to the curb as much as I want to believe its the best outcome for the Navy and myself. But I have no clue what to do next. My first instinct is to move back home to California, so that's what I've already decided. All of that is falling into place, so now I'm thinking more of the future and different avenues to take.

One is to go back to school for a Nuke Engineering degree, and I'm leaning towards this because it sounds like the smartest thing to do. So far my research on this has been looking at UC Berkeley and at their program, because I'm more comfortable staying in California and in a classroom environment than taking an online course or moving out to the east coast for the schools that cater to Navy Nukes. Does this sound like a good move? Please shoot some other ideas at me if you got em. I get the warm and fuzzy about this life changing event when I hear new things.

Thanks,
ET2

MacGyver

Re: Tried to stay in... One year later, "You separate Friday"
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:37 »
Hello Nuke Worker. Firstly, let me say this is my first post ever on the board, and "I am protected". As an SA forum user I understand not to sh*t post, but I feel my situation is too unique to find my answer through a search function. I seek honest advice without any reprimand.

First some back story:

I'm a Nuke ET, I'm on the ship thats "First and best in it's class". I've been in the Navy 4 years and some change, and on this boat about 2 years. I went through Basic Nuke quals as soon as I got on the boat. When I made it to the end of the qual, I was failed three times and de-nuked. I immediately submitted a force conversion package with the intention of staying in the navy to at least finish my contract on a new leaf. I track it's routing for 6 months hoping I get a new rate. When we last pulled into port I took some leave, and the day I came last week I'm told I separate that Friday. I'm basically WTF at this point and rush through the separation process. No TAPs, no terminal leave, no separation pay. I was able to get my separation date changed to this Friday. I feel like I'm literally kicked to the curb as much as I want to believe its the best outcome for the Navy and myself. But I have no clue what to do next. My first instinct is to move back home to California, so that's what I've already decided. All of that is falling into place, so now I'm thinking more of the future and different avenues to take.

One is to go back to school for a Nuke Engineering degree, and I'm leaning towards this because it sounds like the smartest thing to do. So far my research on this has been looking at UC Berkeley and at their program, because I'm more comfortable staying in California and in a classroom environment than taking an online course or moving out to the east coast for the schools that cater to Navy Nukes. Does this sound like a good move? Please shoot some other ideas at me if you got em. I get the warm and fuzzy about this life changing event when I hear new things.

Thanks,
ET2

This should be (by you and anyone that will help ... say Navy Legal) pushed back.  I know of this sort of thing being tried in the Early / Mid 90's (during the Reduction in Force,,, aka RIF) and was stopped by those they tried to treat this way.

Take your time and do the separation properly.  If that is what you really want.  If not fight to stay in.

It's your service and your contract.  The Navy can bluster all they want.  You must demand equal treatment for separation as anyone else sep'ing.

Don't let them bully you.  Schedule your TAP and Medical appointments as you see fit and let the cards fall where they may.

I have no clue about the separation pay issue though.

Mac
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012, 04:38 by MacGyver »

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:00 »
Personnel has been nothing but helpful, right now they are sticking to the instruction which says to separate within 15 working days upon receipt of the letter. Its not so much what I want to do but what has to be done. I fought all last week and finally decided/accepted separating. I'm not entitled to separation pay because I'm under 6 years according to legal. TAPs class, I just don't have time for before I separate. I'm going to schedule for one local to my home when I move back in a couple weeks. Other than that in asking for what else I'm entitled to etc. I pretty much understand I'm SOL.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:28 »
They have to make TAPS available to you. They can't just skimp on the requirements because it is convenient for them. I HIGHLY recommend you go to TAPS so that you can find out all of the benefits that are available to you. Search around google. I recommend starting with "Navy Involuntary Separation Requirements". I don't have time right now but if I have time later I can look for the instruction that says they HAVE to provide you the opportunity to go to TAPS. The Yeoman are right, you have to be in at least six years to be eligible for involuntary separation pay, but you are eligible for other things. Think off the top of my head you get either three or six months of complimentary health insurance. You get to use the commissary/ exchange for I think two years.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:38 »
If you didn't pass BNEQ, why would you then go after a Nuc E degree? It most likely is NOT your cup of tea.

Which is OK, there are plenty of dignified jobs out there that do not involve reaching the Point of Adding Heat, lapping valves or even logging onto a RWP.

What job(s) did you work prior to the Navy, what skills(s) do you bring to the table? There are plenty of guys with GEDs in North Dakota making $100K+ on fracking rigs. Time to think outside the digi-camo!

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:41 »
I will ask for what else I'm entitled to, but it being that I only have 2 days left I don't want to hold my breath. As far as NEX/Commissary, I didn't mention that I'm in processing to join the Reserves immediately after separation. I haven't decided how long, its a discussion for tomorrow, but as of right now I see myself doing that and going to school at the same time. Sadly I'm stuck on duty today and now I'm regretting being a nice guy by keeping it.

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2012, 05:54 »
If you didn't pass BNEQ, why would you then go after a Nuc E degree? It most likely is NOT your cup of tea.

Which is OK, there are plenty of dignified jobs out there that do not involve reaching the Point of Adding Heat, lapping valves or even logging onto a RWP.

What job(s) did you work prior to the Navy, what skills(s) do you bring to the table? There are plenty of guys with GEDs in North Dakota making $100K+ on fracking rigs. Time to think outside the digi-camo!

Thanks. BNEQ is a whole different story and water under the bridge so to speak, it came to a bird, with all due respect to him, not trusting me with being an operator. To be more specific: I don't know why I can draw BFPL but not list every single exact coordinate the graph changes, but blow every thing else out the water.

Before the Navy I have a decent background in low voltage electronics, which helped me a lot going through the pipeline, when it came to BE, Digital, and... that last A-school class everyone hated: ICE. Yeah I remember feeling like I already knew it our grasped it fast. But to answer your question I'd rather fix broken electronics to actual operating. Being an ET I'm good with computers; building, operating, fixing, all that, whatever an ET would do in a civilian plant. I imagine there's several different jobs in a civilian plant that an ET would do on a boat.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2012, 06:28 »
Thanks. BNEQ is a whole different story and water under the bridge so to speak, it came to a bird, with all due respect to him, not trusting me with being an operator. To be more specific: I don't know why I can draw BFPL but not list every single exact coordinate the graph changes, but blow every thing else out the water.

Before the Navy I have a decent background in low voltage electronics, which helped me a lot going through the pipeline, when it came to BE, Digital, and... that last A-school class everyone hated: ICE. Yeah I remember feeling like I already knew it our grasped it fast. But to answer your question I'd rather fix broken electronics to actual operating. Being an ET I'm good with computers; building, operating, fixing, all that, whatever an ET would do in a civilian plant. I imagine there's several different jobs in a civilian plant that an ET would do on a boat.

Here's one to look at:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/326150200

Xenon_Free

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2012, 07:40 »
I can't help but think there is more to the story, the timeline you presented seems...off.  That aside, a commercial reactor's I&C department rarely goes to the component level on a board during troubleshooting - they just replace the board.  So, being good with computers will not directly translate to anything in commercial power.  I am not being flippant when I suggest Intel... or AMD?

XF

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2012, 08:22 »
I can't help but think there is more to the story, the timeline you presented seems...off.  That aside, a commercial reactor's I&C department rarely goes to the component level on a board during troubleshooting - they just replace the board.  So, being good with computers will not directly translate to anything in commercial power.  I am not being flippant when I suggest Intel... or AMD?

XF

Not at all, things like that are just in the back of my mind. For past couple days I've been focused on or thinking about using the GI bill to go back to school for a Nuclear Engineering degree in California. Now I haven't been to college in about five or six years so that whole process is slowly coming back to me the more I look into schools. I can't say I'm looking for the exact same job I had as a Nuke. Besides the Navy my background in electronics was basically low voltage work, installing and maintaining electronic security: burglary alarms, fire systems, cameras, access control systems, that sort of thing.

There really isn't much more to the story than I already amplified earlier in the thread: I failed my final board got BNEQ three times, and after the third, the Reactor Officer, who gave the boards, denuked me. I submitted a force conversion package, it took a long time to process, and just last week I was notified the result was to separate because the package was disapproved.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2012, 09:37 »
A message that says "You must separate by xx day" doesn't override requirements/ take away your veterans benefits. Here's what you do, man up, walk into personnel office and say I want to go to TAPS before I separate. If that means that they have to move your date back then so be it. That's what I would do if I felt I was getting a raw deal.

HeavyD

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2012, 07:59 »
First question, and it is going to make me sound like an @$$hole, but I am gonna ask anyway.  If you were on the ship for 2 years, and your conversion package took 6 months, does that mean it took 18 months to ultimately fail BNEQ?  I ask because you are only alloted 24 months to qualify Senior-in-Rate, which in your case would be SRO.  If this is the case, you were severely behind the curve in your expected qualification progression.

Now to something not potentially controversial.

If I recall correctly, TAPS is not guaranteed.

What IS required, by law, are the briefs on what VA benefits you are entitled to upon separation.  The other stuff concerning interviewing, resume writing, etc. is not part of the deal.

And yes, they most certainly can give you two weeks notice that you are going to be unemployed.

Also, your Career Counselor/Chain-of-Command failed you IF they did not brief you on the highly unlikely chance of your force conversion being approved.  With a high percentage of other rates being either at or above required manning levels, the chances of converting after being de-nuked are almost nonexistent.

Lastly, along with the other advice given here don't forget to look into unemployment.  This is an involuntary separation, not due to bad conduct so you may be eligible until you get into college or get employed elsewhere. 

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:42 »
So far you have not asked for any financial input, I'll assume you are all square with the USN on bonuses and time served obligations.

If not, or if you have been wrapped around the axle too tight to think much about it get it squared away before you are separated, or at least know your situation and be in possession of the document trail down to the last penny.

Be careful to be up to date as much as possible prior to separating and hold on to every scrap of exonerating hard copy you have like life itself.

check your PM's,...

almost forgot,...(sic)
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2012, 09:44 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2012, 09:36 »
Going to TAP before separation is not a requirement. You can go to TAP up to 180 days (I think) after separating. There is pre-sep counseling you are required to have before you are separated though.

Offline Aninsomniac

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2012, 10:03 »
First question, and it is going to make me sound like an @$$hole, but I am gonna ask anyway.  If you were on the ship for 2 years, and your conversion package took 6 months, does that mean it took 18 months to ultimately fail BNEQ?  I ask because you are only alloted 24 months to qualify Senior-in-Rate, which in your case would be SRO.  If this is the case, you were severely behind the curve in your expected qualification progression.

Yes, and I was already very much aware of everything you mention. But the answer to your question is yes.

HeavyD

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2012, 11:15 »
The reason I point this out is both very simple and VERY important.

If you struggled with the qualifications in place in the Navy, then you will most likely struggle more in the commercial sector.  Please take into consideration that Nuclear may not be your calling.

IMHO, it would be a waste of both time and your valuable VA educational benefits to pursue a degree in a field that may not be your cup of tea.

I realize this is probably not what you WANT to hear, but I feel it is definitely stuff you ASKED to hear from us.

Food for thought.

P.S. - Do NOT let this discourage you.  There are plenty of options that can offer rewarding careers, both financially and intellectually, that are not named nuclear.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?