Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ELT looking to get out after 8 years. Whats out there? honeypot

Author Topic: ELT looking to get out after 8 years. Whats out there?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Mmlipps

• Lurker
I am workin on my bachelors through excelsior. Thinking about staying in for shore duty then get out at 11 years with the bachelors degree finished, figure I'll go work at a power plant, what kind of jobs are out there. What kind of starting salary? Shiftwork? Advice? I do have a growing family so I can't just get out and goo school full time for a different career. Want my wife to be able to stay home with he kids.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 01:49 by Mmlipps »

Fermi2

Re: ELT looking to get out after 8 years. Whats out there?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2012, 04:40 »
Maybe in that 11 years you can learn to use the search function...

Offline Mmlipps

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2012, 04:46 »
I was hoping for more recent info

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2012, 05:48 »
The info given in the posts you said are not recent are still accurate.....

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2012, 05:54 »

I was hoping for more recent info

Way over the head!

Please reread your first post/question and the response!  This site has an excellent search function!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:49 »

Broadzilla devours another non-searching poster...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:58 »
There's no jobs available, might as well do 20.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline gogamecocks

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:04 »
Finish your degree. It does help getting a job. Go ahead and do your shore duty and try to save up some cash for the transition. It's much easier doing job interviews from a shore command. There seems to be a good number of jobs in the Southeast.  Navy Nukes are highly sought after in the commercial Nuke field despite what you will read on this forum. My husband had no trouble getting job interviews but several wanted that bachelor's degree which he has and so that helped him land some interviews. Not sure of your rank but he is a Master Chief and our pay is going down significantly and that is including retirement pay so save some $$ and be prepared for a reduction in pay at first. Mainly b/c there is a significant tax difference after you get out so you need to not just look at gross pay. Look at your take home pay after taxes and the additional  medical insurance premiums, car taxes, etc. to calculate your budget. My husband is taking a direct SRO position and his pay will increase after the first two years. I was working part time but will go full time in our new city to make up the difference in pay. I do wish we had saved up more $$ for the transition. Plus, we can't sell our house which will make us reluctant landlords. Somehow I thought retirement would end up better than this but things will be better in 2 years if he qualifies SRO. I also am not sure I would recommend retirement. The retirement pay is not worth the extra time and all the separation looking back plus you start over on the outside. Good Luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?