Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outlook for Navy Nuke  

Author Topic: Outlook for Navy Nuke  (Read 8817 times)

pole 53

Outlook for Navy Nuke
« on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:15 »
Navy Nuke MM 1999-2005. I've been looking for a career in the Nuclear industry since 2005, as an Aux Op. Recently, I've had 3 interviews with 2 nuclear companies, and passed the POSS twice.  I didn't get offers from any of these companies. The first one did not give a reason. The HR guy with the second interview said I needed to talk more during the interview with the managers. Ok, so I did that during the 3rd interview with the same company but for a different plant. They told me they went with someone with more commercial experience. That was a bit frustrating, as I was told they were looking to hire 18 people and I would be in the last group of 6 to interview. When I got there, I was informed they have decided on 16 hires already and were only looking for 2 more. So, I'm just wondering what are the chances of getting a job as an AO, after being out of the Navy for 7 years? Is that even an issue?  I do have some post Navy experience with a university's research reactor. It was just a one year contract that ended last July. Obviously, my background and experience are good enough to get interviews. I applied to another company's posting last month for an AO Learner position that will begin early next year. This one is actually in my home state, only 2 hours from where I live now.  The posting closing date is October 6. So I hope to hear from them soon. Any ideas, advice, suggestions for what would make me more desirable to a potential Nuclear employer?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Outlook for Navy Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:15 »
Recommendations (friends where you want to get hired) help bunches.  I've gotten many of my jobs due to people knowing who I am thru someone they ("them") trust.  That is how I got my first house job.  I guess it is networking.  You really have to wow or make someone hiring you feel super comfortable if nobody really knows who you are.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:19 »
- Are you limiting yourself on location?

- What extra quals did you achieve while on active duty?

- Where you a 6 and out or did something happen?

I ask the above questions after thinking for about 30 seconds while reading your post.  This isn't to smash on you, simply to say "Hey, give as much information as possible so your potential peers can help out.".

We (VC Summer) are building two new units, as is Vogtle in Georgia.  Having said that, I am 99% sure our operator spots are filled.  I want to say that there will be some postings for Unit 1 though.  Again, not 100% sure.

To echo what was already said, networking can help.  Best of luck in your search.

pole 53

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:56 »
Recommendations (friends where you want to get hired) help bunches.  I've gotten many of my jobs due to people knowing who I am thru someone they ("them") trust.  That is how I got my first house job.  I guess it is networking.  You really have to wow or make someone hiring you feel super comfortable if nobody really knows who you are.
Yes, a friend did help me get the 2nd interview. That's the one where the HR guy said I need to talk more.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:23 »
Could be your interview skills than.  Plenty of on-line stuff to search for a fix for that.  Unless there is something you aren't telling us, hard to diagnose your problem without seeing the interview.  I would shoot for getting experience at ANY nuclear plant as a house tech in ANY area.  Then later on you can target favorite areas/jobs.   Lately though it is harder to get a house job when compared to a couple years ago.  But these things go in cycles so don't let it get you down.  Just keep trying and improving.  If you have been out of nuclear for awhile, maybe another strike against you for some interviewers, depending on what else you have been doing.  That one year contract should help, but other holes in your resume timeline might be a small negative compared to people who have spent the last 10 years straight doing nuclear stuff.  That might be enough to put you in the maybe pile in this days economy instead of the must-hire group.  Another way to go is concentrate more on contracting positions and get in good with a department at a plant you contracted at.  I have seen many ex-contractors get jobs that way.  I have been told straight out at a couple of places if I applied for a house job I would be hired.  Happens to alot of contractors.

Offline jmates

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:48 »
 I didn't have any problems and got several offers.

Edited to conform with forum rules. (#4)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 10:49 by Marlin »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:03 »
Kind of a mean way to put it but there are interviewers out there who are biased.  I've been told overweight people may have less of a chance to get hired than someone more in shape.  So you need to take a hard look at yourself if you want the job; there may or may not be some hard truths to evaluate.

Xenon_Free

« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:50 »
I am pretty sure jmates has the right of it... We do much of our hiring based solely on facial hair.  It Is just so obvious to everyone that a guy with a mustache is creepy that it is actually part of the "checklist".

1. Good worker?
2. Motivated?
3. Honest and intelligent?
4. Mustache? (if yes then do not hire)

XF

P.S.  What have you been doing since 2005?  This may be part of the problem.

pharmtech

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 »
My guess would be your interview skills.  I was out of the Navy for three years when I decided to pursue a job in commercial nuclear power.  You've had a few interviews now so just try to recall some of the questions and how you could've answered better.  Go in there with good examples of times that you've excelled and times that you've failed but improved because of it.  Basically you're going there to explain why/how you'd be a great employee.  Make sure you believe in yourself because if you don't no one else will.  Good luck and keep trying.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2012, 09:03 »
Probably your interview skills. I had a buddy, got out of the Navy in early 1988. Worked at a tire factory till he got sick of it. About 2002 he contacted me, I told him to interview at my plant. He hired in as an NLO and did quite well.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:02 »
I would have to go interview skills!  No offence, but I remember interviewing a young (4 years out ) lad many years ago, who's stock answer was, "hey I served 12 years in the NNPP, someone must want me"!

I'm not saying you are coming on that way, but concider some of the suggestions above!  Have your answers ready!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?