Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC vs. NROTC, need help  

Author Topic: NUPOC vs. NROTC, need help  (Read 11258 times)

Offline cobo95

• Very Lite User
NUPOC vs. NROTC, need help
« on: Oct 05, 2012, 05:21 »
I’m a senior in high school and I just received an acceptance letter from the NROTC, I have looked into NUPOC and it seems that it is hands down a better deal for anybody wanting to go into the nuclear field. Knowing this information, I'm asking for any advice as to whether I should take the deal on the table with the NROTC or take a gamble and hold out for a possible NUPOC scholarship. Also, since I'm only in high school and have no real world experience in this area I also want to know how beneficial the Navy option in general is if I want to go into research and design of reactors. The money would help and a guaranteed job and job experience is nice but it is my understanding that the Navy is more concerned with operation of reactors rather than development. Thank you for your help, I really don’t have anyone around me that can help.

Offline jmates

• Very Lite User
Re: NUPOC vs. NROTC, need help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2012, 05:52 »
NUPOC scholarships are not for 4 years, like NROTC. Plus you make not like the navy nuclear power program. If I was you, I would take the NROTC scholarship. This will also allow you a chance to check out the other communities. You always decided to go nuke. They always need sub nukes.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2012, 06:06 »
Do you have an NROTC scholarship offer in hand, or just accepted into the NROTC program?

Offline cobo95

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:50 »
I received an email from the NROTC saying I had been accepted for their scholarship program, however, I really have no interest in the NAVY, I just was attracted to the idea that I am guaranteed a job and the experience that comes with it and after my contract is up I could leave and go into the civilian sector. My problem is that while NUPOC guarantees me a spot in nuclear power school if I am accepted, NROTC does not, so I could potentially spend five years in the NAVY with a nuclear engineering degree and never see a reactor job if for whatever reason I don't get into power school. I am really looking for what is the smallest gamble because if I don't go to the NAVY I will just have to find some other way to pay for school and just have a harder time looking for a career after school.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2012, 09:29 »
If you get an engineering degree and you want to be a nuke, you'll get an interview.
The rest would be up to you.  If I were you, I'd take the scholarship.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2012, 10:08 »
I received an email from the NROTC saying I had been accepted for their scholarship program, however, I really have no interest in the NAVY, I just was attracted to the idea that I am guaranteed a job and the experience that comes with it and after my contract is up I could leave and go into the civilian sector. My problem is that while NUPOC guarantees me a spot in nuclear power school if I am accepted, NROTC does not, so I could potentially spend five years in the NAVY with a nuclear engineering degree and never see a reactor job if for whatever reason I don't get into power school. I am really looking for what is the smallest gamble because if I don't go to the NAVY I will just have to find some other way to pay for school and just have a harder time looking for a career after school.

So no interest in serving, but you'll take the money and spot that some other kid could have had, and busted his or her hump through school to try to get.

Just what the fleet needs, another sea lamprey.

Offline jmates

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:00 »
If no interest in the navy, why even apply? You are the reason thy many younger Sailors get out. Bad experience with officers in various roles, particularly nuclear, was a main detractor in my group. Luckily for me, I ignored them and went for the commission any way. After I was commissioned I never portrayed a negative outlook onto serving, even though I decided o separate before my 20. I hope you do the right thing and leave the service alone period. With your low GPA you won't be allowed to apply for nuclear power school instructor or naval reactor engineer or KAPL/BETTIS instructor.

Offline cobo95

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:54 »
Yes I am sure that with my 4.9 GPA and top 2% standing in school that I am going to stand no chance at all; think before you speak next time. And secondly, while I have not to much of an interest in serving in a hollow tube 600 ft beneath the surface of the ocean for 4 months at a time I have a very great interest in helping to develop new sources of clean efficient energy, and if the NAVY can help me to get to this point I will surely look into serving with them so that I can pay for school and get the job experience they offer. And as for making it into a bad experience, I don't know about anyone else, but when I have a job to do, I keep my feelings to myself and conduct myself as professionally as possible like we are all supposed to so I think you should stop making ignorant assumptions when you know nothing of the person on the other end.

Thank you,
From a much more mature person than you

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:17 »
Yes I am sure that with my 4.9 GPA and top 2% standing in school that I am going to stand no chance at all; think before you speak next time. And secondly, while I have not to much of an interest in serving in a hollow tube 600 ft beneath the surface of the ocean for 4 months at a time

Yes you have the grade point average but let me point out that many of those you are asking advice from are veterans of those 600ft hollow tubes.

I have a very great interest in helping to develop new sources of clean efficient energy, and if the NAVY can help me to get to this point I will surely look into serving with them so that I can pay for school and get the job experience they offer.

The Navy is a military organization looking for new sources of energy to project our military might around the globe. Nuclear can be a clean efficient energy is used properly but the Navy would only be a stepping stone to the goal you are expressing.

And as for making it into a bad experience, I don't know about anyone else, but when I have a job to do, I keep my feelings to myself and conduct myself as professionally as possible like we are all supposed to so I think you should stop making ignorant assumptions when you know nothing of the person on the other end.

Thank you,

Be sure your statements are clearly aimed at the individual you wish to address, we have a quote function that will make that clear. There is a broad range of people who read your posts and engaging in arguements in open forum does not encourage response from them.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2012, 10:24 by Marlin »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:50 »

Thank you,

If you have to make a statement defending your level of maturity, you've already demonstrayed your lack there of.

You'd be better served taking your 4.9 high school GPA some place else
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline jmates

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2012, 12:20 »
I am just guessing, but I would say that your GPA is low. Since you obviously came on here about scholarship questions that are years apart. NUPOC is offered at the junior level. NROTC can be offered at the freshman. There are also several other officer designators into research, but I am sure that a mature, genius, like yourself knew about their program requirements. Leave the scholarships to people who actually want to serve our great nation. UAE is hiring!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2012, 01:02 »
Yes I am sure that with my 4.9 GPA and top 2% standing in school that I am going to stand no chance at all; think before you speak next time. And secondly, while I have not to much of an interest in serving in a hollow tube 600 ft beneath the surface of the ocean for 4 months at a time I have a very great interest in helping to develop new sources of clean efficient energy, and if the NAVY can help me to get to this point I will surely look into serving with them so that I can pay for school and get the job experience they offer. And as for making it into a bad experience, I don't know about anyone else, but when I have a job to do, I keep my feelings to myself and conduct myself as professionally as possible like we are all supposed to so I think you should stop making ignorant assumptions when you know nothing of the person on the other end.

Thank you,

Somehow I doubt this is how Philo Farnsworth, Enrico Fermi or Richard Feynmann started off.

HalfHazzard

« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2012, 05:19 »
Really, your question is monetary benefits.  If you go to a private school, or very expensive public school (ex: out of state tuition), a 4-year NROTC scholarship will win out.  If you go to an instate public school, biting the bullet for the first approx. two years and applying for NUPOC will probably be the smarter choice (it worked that way for me, though college was cheaper "back then").

NROTC will give you a shot at any of the line officer jobs.  NUPOC will only give you a shot at the nuclear jobs. 

NROTC will probably give you the chance to visit a submarine and go underway for at least a day.  NUPOC will fly you out to a submarine in port and let you walk around.

So you've got a 4.9 GPA right now, and that'll get you into NROTC.  What if you screw around your freshman and sophomore year?  Stay above 2.5 and you'll probably keep your NROTC scholarship and have a job waiting for you, nuclear or otherwise.  Wait for NUPOC and screw around, and you might not get an interview... And there's the matter of OCS after college.

Gamecock is right, probably taking the scholarship now is the smart choice.  Complete your freshman year, keep your nose clean, PT, and make good grades, and then go to summer cruise.  After summer cruise, decide if ship life is or isn't for you.  If you do those things, then decide its not, the CO's endorsement on your DOR will probably still say "Recommended for future officer programs."

As far as maturity, you've got four years to work on it before it affects the enlisted, and if you're still not mature, they won't listen to you anyway.

Any questions, PM me.

HeavyD

« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2012, 10:12 »
I really have no interest in the NAVY

This statement speaks volumes about you.  This stance indicates that you are most likely unfit for duty as an officer in the Navy, or any other branch of the service.

Our officers are trained to be leaders.  At the least, program managers.  As a former Chief with 20 years of active duty service, I can honestly say that someone like you as my Division Officer would have made my life a living hell, to put it politely.

Please, do NOT look at a scholarship to SERVE YOUR COUNTRY as simply a means to pay for college.  Self serving and self righteous are NOT what our Navy needs any more of.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?