Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying to get into Commercial Nuclear Power Plants. honeypot

Author Topic: Trying to get into Commercial Nuclear Power Plants.  (Read 6347 times)

Offline risterbl

• Very Lite User
I have been trying to get into Commercial Nuclear Power Plants since graduating in May 2010 with a B.S. in Physics.  I have had one interview and told the only reason I was there was the school I graduated from.  I took all the nuclear power classes my school offered (Nuclear Physics and Reactor Physics).  I am currently working as a defense contractor on Nuclear Powered Ships doing non propulsion electronics systems.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get into a commercial nuclear operator position?  I appreciate your time and efforts.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Trying to get into Commercial Nuclear Power Plants.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:58 »
Specifically what positions are you applying for?

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline risterbl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2012, 05:04 »
I have been applying for: Non Licensed Operator, Auxiliary Operator, Learner Nuclear Reactor Operator, and Nuclear Equipment Operator.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2012, 05:19 »
Besides the one interview, have you had any call backs?

And when you weren't offered that job, did you ask why?
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012, 05:19 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline risterbl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:00 »
The only other call backs I have had were from AREVA.  I was told that I was the least qualified candidate interviewing, specifically that the site had personnel interviewing with 20 years of operator experience.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:04 »
Yeah, you're going to run into that. Company's do hire off the street, degreed personnel, but it is a competitive market right now, so utilities can choose the very best from the litter. Typically it will be someone with some sort of relevant experience AND a degree, or Navy Nukes. I know some would choose a fresh out of college degree person over a 6 and out Navy nuke, but I don't think that is who you are competing against most, right now. You are competing against people that got out of the industry, for whatever reason, and now want back in since everything else out there sucks.

That said, you should be getting more call backs, so perhaps your resume needs tuned up.

Feel free to PM my for my email address if you'd like me to take a look at it.

Other than that, my advice is to simply keep trying. It is a hard industry to break into without a contact on the inside, or other sort of experience, but is most certainly can be done.

Justin

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2012, 12:52 »
What school did you go to?  Judging from the classes and companies you listed it sounds like the same school I went to.  And may be around the same time frame also.

Offline kingjules

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:45 »
It's nothing new that a non-Navy nuke should be sitting on the sidelines over 50% of the time, when starting out. My first five years I worked 23 months (out of 60); this is the cold, hard truth. I did more different functions as an HP than many of those who were around for 5 or 10 years (as far as sampling and environmental, and D&D) but due to an unfortunate set of events, the company I worked for got out of the industry and no one else supported my background until 15 years later.   Even now, by some standards, I am considered a junior, except by those who I have worked with. Recruiters have no value or understanding of the gravitas required, other than strict certification and years worked in the field. Military service is a good way in. You will with time, get in. Be happy to get what ever in-field experience you can. I could have used a good menter to get my carrier and mindset on track.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 by kingjules »

Offline risterbl

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:02 »
I went to the Virginia Military Institute.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:08 »
If you're not against it, perhaps think about spending some time in the Navy. It will provide you valuable experience (the thing you lack, as far as operations is concerned), and will open countless doors in the commercial world for you. Worse comes to worse, you hate your life for 5 years, get your college paid for (if you have loans), and you're on track to be successful where ever you go....  Best case, you love the job, spend 20 years in, get a fat pension for the rest of your life, and move on to be successful where ever you go. Not really a "lost" scenario for you either way.

Of course, if you had a low GPA, thats a different story. Keep applying. Places are looking, I promise.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?