Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Travel Expenses for Tax Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Travel Expenses for Tax Questions  (Read 5188 times)

Offline azirtak

• Lurker
Travel Expenses for Tax Questions
« on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:13 »
My permanent home is in CA but I am currently working in NJ for a project.  I've been here less than a year.  I don't own the business.

My question is... what can I write off as travel expenses? Can I write off the mileage I had to drive to get to work in NJ? (And also back when the work is completed?)

How about the depreciation of my vehicle? Or my living expenses? I do get per diem.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Travel Expenses for Tax Questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:12 »
You should go to http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/index.html

Then start digging up records of your work related travel.

If you deduct mileage, depreciation is already figured into the mileage rate, so you can't deduct both.  You can deduct the miles you drove from your home to the temporary location and back, also the miles you drove for business purposes while at the temporary location.

If you got per diem, you can't write off living expenses unless you have receipts that total MORE than you got for per diem.  You can deduct the difference.  You CAN NOT deduct the difference between your per diem and the GSA rate.  That is what we call a "turbine myth"  at work.  It has triggered many many audits.

You can deduct the cost of having your laundry done while away from home.

You can also deduct union dues, work boots, safety equipment, tools, supplies, training fees, license fees, and the cost of any trips that you had to make to go home periodically (around once per month) to take care of your personal affairs.  You will need records to prove all of these things.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:12 »
and call this guy,.... http://www.traveltax.com/   ;)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline traveltax

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2012, 12:32 »
See my reply in the Tax Talk section

Joseph Smith EA/MS Tax
Enrolled Agent, Admitted to Practice Before the IRS
TravelTax TravelTax Canada
www.traveltax.com info@traveltax.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?