Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke-College or straight to Nuke School?

Author Topic: Navy Nuke-College or straight to Nuke School?  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Newbnuke

• Very Lite User
Navy Nuke-College or straight to Nuke School?
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:04 »
I've been qualified for the nuke program and everything security cleared, etc. Not going to lie just wanting the nuke training and a good start for a money making career. Should i go straight to the navy nuke and get a job state side after my 6 years. Or go to college for an engineering associates or bachelors then nuke or what. Just wanting a "comfortable" career to support myself and others. I know i could do either just wondering what other peoples opinions are on whats more profitable. More time making money or schooling more and more money in long run. I'm a senior still in high school with a 25 on act after my 2nd try and 0 studying about a 3.2 or 3.3 gpa.

Responses and ideas appreciated.

TNmann10

Re: Navy Nuke-College or straight to Nuke School?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:14 »
I am also curious about the answer to this, (currently a 4th year out of 5 in college working towards a chemistry degree)  I've been reading around a bit and from the tiny bit of knowledge I've gained I think you should try to go to college with a ROTC scholarship. That's at least what I wish I had done. This way you will be at a minimum E3

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 »
Join the Navy if you want to serve your country. Otherwise, please stay the hell out.

Thank you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2012, 08:27 »
I've been qualified for the nuke program and everything security cleared, etc. Not going to lie just wanting the nuke training and a good start for a money making career. Should i go straight to the navy nuke and get a job state side after my 6 years. Or go to college for an engineering associates or bachelors then nuke or what. Just wanting a "comfortable" career to support myself and others. I know i could do either just wondering what other peoples opinions are on whats more profitable. More time making money or schooling more and more money in long run. I'm a senior still in high school with a 25 on act after my 2nd try and 0 studying about a 3.2 or 3.3 gpa.

You don't know that you can do nuke, until you try it, which would require a lot more effort than " 0 studying". In fact, you can get bounced from the nuclear program for lack of effort, should your academic results end up lacking. I'd recommend you pick a nice junior college nearby to ease into the academic transition.

The nuclear Navy is a club not everyone can join.

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:17 »

College definitely!!!

Chimera

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 »

High scores with minimal effort isn't any guarantee that you'll succeed in the navy Nuclear Program.  I had a better GPA than you list with zero studying and Nuke School was an eye-opener . . . I studied my butt off.  To quote Han Solo, "Don't get cocky, kid!"

I agree with RDTroja.  If your primary goal is to serve your country, then enlist, succeed in the NNP and pick up all the college courses you can while serving.  Otherwise, go to college and get a nice soft desk job earning all those "big bucks" you're dreaming about and leave the Navy alone.  The Navy is a commitment of your time, energy and heart.  Anything less would be a disservice to your shipmates.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:30 »
If you do not know what you want, go to college where you will have plenty of time to figure it out.  Joining the Navy right out of high school commits you to 6 years before you can actually do what you want.  The world at 24 will be a whole lot different then at 18.

The nuclear power curriculum is not all the difficult to master if one had the luxury of time college education provides.  It is a lot of material to absorb and understand in the compressed period of time the Navy demands.  If you have the aptitude to visualize systems and theories, it will be a snap.  If not, there will be many hours of study.  I dozed through most of my time at NucPwrSch, and spent more hours hung over at prototype then not, and still managed to graduate in the top percentiles of each training phase.

All that aside.  If your interest is only about money, you will spend a miserable 6 years, after which, you'll ask why you did it.  If your desire is to actually serve in the Navy, and do not mind the challenge of NucPwr, then go for it.

If I were you, as I stated at the start of this missive, go to college and give yourself some time to understand life and your place in it.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?