Career Path > Safety

"Clean Shaven" policy implementation for Respiratory Protection

<< < (2/3) > >>

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Nov 20, 2012, 09:26 ---Odd, I have yet to be at or see a site where respirator qualified Operators did not have to be clean shaven when they are on duty or where Ops isn't held to a higher standard than others for most things...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Nov 21, 2012, 06:32 ---You work at a lot of DOE sites?

--- End quote ---

No, but that doesn't stop him from knowing everything about it... ;)

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: HouseDad on Nov 21, 2012, 06:44 ---No, but that doesn't stop him from knowing everything about it... ;)

--- End quote ---

The term "Operator" at the 'Nuclear Criticality facilities' I have worked at refers to the radioactive material handlers (kind of like a deconner).  It's not usually some person out of the navy that is brilliant, and has years of technical training, and lots of respect controlling/operating the facility itself.  ItÂ’s a radioactive material handler.

Below is the actual definition from 10 CFR 830

--- Quote ---NUCLEAR FACILITY OPERATOR. A person certified by contractor nuclear facility management to manipulate or handle fissionable materials, radioactive materials, or  tritium in such form and quantity that a nuclear hazard potentially exists to the employees or the general public, or to manipulate the controls of equipment used to produce, process, transfer, store, or package such materials at DOE nonreactor nuclear facilities. Nuclear facility operators typically include, but are not limited to, fissionable material handlers, tritium operators, chemical process operators, waste tank operators, and enrichment plant operators.
--- End quote ---

Other places refer to 'operators' as people that operate heavy equipment.  Some have fancy titles, like "Operating Engineer", when it refers to a guy with a fork lift license. http://www.iuoe.org/ 

Just saying...

HydroDave63:
And some operators have lots of switches and phones and authority..

"Omneepee-tent"

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: HydroDave63 on Nov 21, 2012, 12:01 ---And some operators have lots of switches and phones and authority..

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but they rarely have problems with being clean shaven.

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote from: RDTroja on Nov 20, 2012, 04:33 ---From a practical standpoint, once you have had to shave off a full beard with a disposable razor (or three) you do not want to do it again. I would opt for the daily shave, first.

--- End quote ---

And I keep a battery powered beard trimmer in my locker for that very reason.  I just remember this; "You can't make a mistake twice because the second time it's a choice."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version