Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Home use meters.  

Author Topic: Home use meters.  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Home use meters.
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:26 »
Friends,

I have a family member that keeps pestering me about what type of meter they should keep at home..., you know, in case of melt downs, nuclear war, or dirty bombs.  :D I really don't know what to tell them, but I have a feeling that it should be "nothing," I just need to know why or why not.

Thanks

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Home use meters.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:54 »
Nothing is a good answer,...

Without the right skill set to understand what a click means in all it's permutations the user could run from a no never mind and then pitch camp next to an LD 50 50 and be none the wiser,...

I have a Victoreen CD V-777 Kit for my self plus some other goodies,...

but that's just me,...

I also memorized the recipe for thermite in 9th grade, it's incredibly easy, and awesomely effective,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:59 »
On second thought, there is some really good off the shelf Homeland Security type stuff available,...

But you still need some basic HP chops to be really effective with it,...

And it all does cost a bit more than a HDTV,...

Plus it still needs calibration and maintenance occasionally,...

Plus you still need to know what the nuclides in the libraries are,...

Soooooo,....if you're really interested beyond that shoot me a PM,... 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 05:59 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:03 »
I also memorized the recipe for thermite in 9th grade, it's incredibly easy, and awesomely effective.

I know what I want for Christmas.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:26 »
How many do ya need? PM for details.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 07:30 by HydroDave63 »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:02 »

I also memorized the recipe for thermite in 9th grade, it's incredibly easy, and awesomely effective,... :P ;) :) 8)

hmmm, on my christmas list too...  :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2012, 09:17 »
Friends,

I have a family member that keeps pestering me about what type of meter they should keep at home..., you know, in case of melt downs, nuclear war, or dirty bombs.  :D I really don't know what to tell them, but I have a feeling that it should be "nothing," I just need to know why or why not.

Thanks

Justin

A radon detector, no one has ever died from radiation from a commercial nuclear power plant but an estimated 20,000 die from cancer due to radon each year.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/healthrisks.html

http://www.radondetectorstore.com/

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:54 »
Thanks for the info all!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline macgator

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:17 »
I think the following link is an interesting debate on the postulated theory that low level Radon leads to increased rates of Lung Cancer.

http://www.neha-nrpp.org/Topics_Under_Debate_2001.pdf

The fear induced by our professions belief in the LNT theory has damaged the public perception of the Nuclear industry and coupled with low natural gas prices is threatening the prospects for Nuclear to be a part of the future energy mix.

Happy Holidays!

Offline Stonent

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2012, 02:47 »
If you're only dealing with post-meltdown situations or after the big one goes off. A CDV-715 or higher survey meter would work. The needle won't even move unless you're in danger of turning into the incredible hulk. These units use an ion chamber and not a geiger tube. They won't pick up anything except very dangerous amounts of radiation. So watches, smoke detectors, vintage glass, fiestaware plates are way way way below what it would take to make it move.

The way I heard it described is that nobody can legally own something that could make this meter move.

They sell pretty cheap on ebay because they're basically useless for anything outside of "will I die if I step outside" situations. They typically measure in R/hr or R/min. If you're ever in a situation where you're measuring in whole Roentgens life would be pretty miserable.

There is a CDV-700 which has a probe on it.  You can use that to pick up beta and gamma at levels you could commonly find. This is a general use geiger counter but as old as the 715 (60s/70s era)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2012, 03:43 »
If you're only dealing with post-meltdown situations or after the big one goes off. A CDV-715 or higher survey meter would work. The needle won't even move unless you're in danger of turning into the incredible hulk. These units use an ion chamber and not a geiger tube. They won't pick up anything except very dangerous amounts of radiation. So watches, smoke detectors, vintage glass, fiestaware plates are way way way below what it would take to make it move.

Incorrect. The check sources on the side (under the black epoxy paint) are BRC.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?