Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Basic Questions

Author Topic: Basic Questions  (Read 8288 times)

Offline margiela16

• Very Lite User
Basic Questions
« on: Sep 24, 2012, 03:31 »
Hi,

I'm new to the forums although I have lurked for a little while. I met an ex Navy Nuke not too long ago who was a distant relative  and I started to look into it.

My question's have to do with my past schooling. I am 20. I spent my high school years constantly traveling for sports. I'd spent the minute I got out of class til midnight or later playing travel sports, generally out of state(east coast states), every day. I never took any serious math classes and my GPA was in the 2.5 area. Fast forward to last year and I was in a state school. I majored in civil engineering and loved it. My first semester went decent, I got b's and c's. My second semester was tough but I was still getting b's,c's and an A. My math class(calculus) was getting to me. Regardless near the end of the semester I had a C and studied up for the final. Sure enough less than a week before finals I get into a car accident with my friend. My leg gets tangled up a little bit and I'm rushed into surgery. I miss finals and take them a few days after they're scheduled. I had no study time between the days I spent in the hospital and the days at my apartment on pain pills or in pain. I still "studied" though. I ended up doing well on all my tests except for calculus. I finished with an F.

My original question was going to ask if what classes I took in high school and my gpa matter much to the recruiter. Also, will my F in calculus completely erase my chances. I will like to say that I did great in science in math during high school but also, like I said, my math classes weren't high level classes(algebra, alg 2, trig,).
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2012, 03:32 by margiela16 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Basic Questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2012, 03:45 »
.....My original question was going to ask if what classes I took in high school and my gpa matter much to the recruiter....

The competition for military jobs other than combat infantryman is intense. If you do not try, you cannot succeed. On the plus side, an enlisted navy nuke does not need calculus perspicacity to be successful.

Read these:

http://www.careerleak.com/millitary-careers/

In a good economy it's more difficult for the branches of the armed forces to meet their recruitment quotas. In a bad economy recruits may have more competition for various occupational specialties. Educational requirements will continue to rise as military jobs become more complex and technical.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/18/158505630/in-weak-economy-college-grads-surge-into-military

In Weak Economy, College Grads 'Surge' Into Military

The weak economy is helping to drive thousands more college graduates into the U.S. military.

Since the recession began in 2007, there's been a steady increase in the number of college graduates joining the armed forces. The Navy and Army have seen the biggest jumps. About 60 percent more college grads joined the Navy last year than in 2007.

For some of them, it's a job some would never have imagined for themselves just a few years ago.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline margiela16

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2012, 04:14 »
The competition for military jobs other than combat infantryman is intense. If you do not try, you cannot succeed. On the plus side, an enlisted navy nuke does not need calculus perspicacity to be successful.

Read these:

http://www.careerleak.com/millitary-careers/

In a good economy it's more difficult for the branches of the armed forces to meet their recruitment quotas. In a bad economy recruits may have more competition for various occupational specialties. Educational requirements will continue to rise as military jobs become more complex and technical.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/18/158505630/in-weak-economy-college-grads-surge-into-military

In Weak Economy, College Grads 'Surge' Into Military

The weak economy is helping to drive thousands more college graduates into the U.S. military.

Since the recession began in 2007, there's been a steady increase in the number of college graduates joining the armed forces. The Navy and Army have seen the biggest jumps. About 60 percent more college grads joined the Navy last year than in 2007.

For some of them, it's a job some would never have imagined for themselves just a few years ago.

I understand that fully. I also wouldn't mind going back to college but there are various reasons I want to enlist. Regardless, I want to serve before or after college is finished. My plan is to make a career in the military. But, having debt built up is not something I want at this age. Getting a job as a Nuke gives great education benefits. It also can be made into an awesome and fulfilling career. My work ethic is undoubtedly not a problem. I guarantee that. I'll be talking to a recruiter this week about the program but it's nice to get answers from people who have been there, done that.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2012, 05:25 »
You'll need a waiver for any high school math grades of D or lower. They don't care about your gpa.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2012, 05:35 »
You'll need a waiver for any high school math grades of D or lower. They don't care about your gpa.

Well, that's good to know, used to be if you had any final or semester GPA of less than 2.0 in your junior or senior year of high school you needed a waiver.

I am a bit out of date,.... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2012, 05:42 »
Well, that's good to know, used to be if you had any final or semester GPA of less than 2.0 in your junior or senior year of high school you needed a waiver.

Shoot, maybe they do. All I know is nobody ever said anything to me about my gpa and I wasn't a good student in high school. Either way, it's not a big deal. Just apply for a waiver.

I thi9nk I had 5 waivers. Don't remember what they were for, but just remember that whatever it is, don't let it stop you from taking a shot at the program, if it's what you want.

Bam.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2012, 06:58 »

Shoot, maybe they do. All I know is nobody ever said anything to me about my gpa and I wasn't a good student in high school. Either way, it's not a big deal. Just apply for a waiver.
I thi9nk I had 5 waivers. Don't remember what they were for, but just remember that whatever it is, don't let it stop you from taking a shot at the program, if it's what you want.Bam. 

I think the point went way up and over there!   ;)
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline margiela16

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2012, 09:10 »

I thi9nk I had 5 waivers. Don't remember what they were for, but just remember that whatever it is, don't let it stop you from taking a shot at the program, if it's what you want.

Bam.

Well, that's good to hear. I've always been smart. I don't remember my gpa exactly but it was always in the 2.5-3.0 range. I was so busy with playing constantly that my grades probably didn't show my work ethic well but oh well. When did you enlist? The only  waiver I could see needing is for an underage drinking ticket from years ago but being 2012 and in a slight recession who knows if that's enough to take me off the list.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:02 »
Quote from: GLW on Yesterday at 17:35
I am a bit out of date,.... Cool

Quote from: Styrofoam on Yesterday at 17:42

Bam. 

I think the point went way up and over there!   ;)

Are you sure it wasn't a "Texas Leaguer" ??  :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_baseball_%28T%29#Texas_Leaguer

Offline huntley2009

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:46 »
I've been looking into the Nuke Program (officer side) lately and I'm by no means and expert but when talking to the recruiter about my college GPA (3.6 in chemistry) he said keep in mind I will be interviewing with people from MIT, Berkeley, Missouri S&T, etc. When someone sees you have attended/ graduated from these prestigious schools you already have an advantage.  So while GPA isn't everything it will be something they look at when deciding if they want to interview you.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:56 »
I've been looking into the Nuke Program (officer side) lately and I'm by no means and expert but when talking to the recruiter about my college GPA (3.6 in chemistry) he said keep in mind I will be interviewing with people from MIT, Berkeley, Missouri S&T, etc. When someone sees you have attended/ graduated from these prestigious schools you already have an advantage.  So while GPA isn't everything it will be something they look at when deciding if they want to interview you.

He's talking about enlisted, not officer.

Offline Valet

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 »
It seems as though you want to be told that you would do well in the program.  Only your mom will tell you that (no offense intended).

I know people that have done poorly in high school and college that have succeeded in the program so far (I am nearly qualified at prototype).  For example, my power school honor man had a GED.  In my experiences, I would say that the program will not be easy if you have high grades nor hard if you have low grades. 

More to what I perceive is the root of the problem: you will personally learn a lot of completely new material, you will personally put in a lot of time at work, you will personally be challenged by new concepts, you will personally LEARN these new concepts.  No one else will do any of this for you.  People will definitely be there to help you along the way, but you will not make it to the fleet because you are "a smart guy".  Excuses and reasons for not completing tasks will be met with punishment and possible masting.

More specific to your situation; you're grades are essentially unimportant.  Your drive and ability are paramount.  I hope that you have somehow felt compelled to share your grades [through peer pressure (many others do it)] and subsequently shared your reasons for low marks to save face.  If I were you, I would do this all over again except I would say that "I am looking for an opinion about going enlisted and getting my degree while active duty vs. graduating college and going officer afterwards". 

Hopefully you are just nervous about entering a community populated by typically intelligent people and are looking to compensate for you 2.5 marks (your situation truly does sound difficult, no shame there). 

Advice for you: there are 3 ways (as of 5 months ago) to become an officer once becoming an enlisted nuke.  First, get picked up to go to the Naval Academy (the selection rate is extremely high once making it to SC).  Second, get picked up for STA-21 (much more competition).  Third, get picked for OCS (only viable if you already have a 4-year degree). 

Personally, I am not qualified, I am not on a ship/boat, I have been in for 1 year, 11 months.  I HAVE recently gone through (going through) the program that you are worried about entering.  Take my advice as you will. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?