Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Failing Power School honeypot

Author Topic: Failing Power School  (Read 10621 times)

Offline samuelsmom

• Lurker
Failing Power School
« on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:38 »
My son has been working extremely hard with 70+ hour weeks and just failed his third course.  He told me that was an automatic drop but he would like to fight it if possible.  His class participation is excellent and he is fully engaged and in group study and goes to the NDI, however, his test scores are not great (obviously).  He feels that he knows more than his tests reflect.

Does anyone here know if he has any options or have any advice?  As you may imagine he is tremendously discouraged after working so hard and not being successful.

Thanks.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Failing Power School
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:12 »
My son has been working extremely hard with 70+ hour weeks and just failed his third course.  He told me that was an automatic drop but he would like to fight it if possible.  His class participation is excellent and he is fully engaged and in group study and goes to the NDI, however, his test scores are not great (obviously).  He feels that he knows more than his tests reflect.

Does anyone here know if he has any options or have any advice?  As you may imagine he is tremendously discouraged after working so hard and not being successful.

Thanks.

Sorry, but if he is a three course failure, then he is out.  Nuke is not for everyone..... if his work ethic is like you say (70 hr/wk), then he will be successful in some other endeavor.   I wish him well.

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:06 »
Even  though I come  from  a  Army  Background,  This  is  what  I  did  as Executive Officer/ Training Officer  for   an  Army  Nuclear  training unit.  Many  people who  failed  tried their  best.   Most  I  believed  had  borderline  scores  that  got them  to  barely  be  accepted to the school.   I had one private  write  me  and  thank  me  for helping  him  and  that  he was doing  well  at  his   new occupation  specialty.  I have  even seen Officers  fail out and  be  reclassed.  If he  has  a good  attitude  and  works hard  he  will succeed  in  what he  does.   I agree  with   Gamecock he will  be  successful if he works  hard.  Out of about 50 that  failed  out,  I  only tried  to  get 2 another chance, one  had  a language  barrier, He was Puerto  Rican Guard. One  failed  his  very  last  class barely.  This  class  had a high  overall  failure.  Both of these  privates got another  chance. But  unless  there  is  a  very good   reason I do not see  that he  woud  get  another  chance.  I   wish  him  well  also!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 11:10 by thenukeman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:59 »
Is BigNavy reclassifying academic drops, or separating?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 »
If there aren't extenuating circumstances he will probably not get another chance, just an opinion of someone who was in the nuclear navy.  If he is failing in 3 courses, isn't it time to try something else?  I think the CO could intervene, but he usually needs a good reason.  I'm like gamecock, 70 hrs a week, he is either doing something very wrong in preperation or needs to try something else.  Since you are his mom you would know if he has a learning disability, but I don't think the Navy will help much, although this is 2012 so who knows?  Not telling you to give up completely but if no one has a reason why he can't get it with 70 hrs a week then he needs to try something else.  Alot of the Nuclear Navy IS about test taking, so he may want to take that into consideration; does he want to deal with this in prototype and the fleet??

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:59 »
Some people simply aren't cut out for nuclear power. It is nothing to be ashamed of. With his work ethic, I'm sure he'll rock something else.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:30 »
Agreed with the other folks--sometimes folks just don't have the aptitude for running a plant, although it sounds like he's got a much better work ethic than a lot of folks his age.

With the latter in mind, as long as he keeps his head up and does his best, he'll do fine.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:01 »

Good question,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

HeavyD

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 »
As of November 2011 (when I started terminal leave), reclassifying.

I have been retired for a year now, so things may have changed.

To piggyback on what virtually everyone else has said, the Nuke program doesn't sound like the best fit for your son.  He will have more success, with less struggle, in another field. 

Best of luck to him and thanks to him for volunteering to serve!

Offline samuelsmom

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:07 »
Thanks for all the replies.  He had a long talk with his Chief today.  He confirmed what you all have said, so he will be going to DTP.  On the bright side, the Chief complimented his work ethic, attitude, and that he never gave up.   I think that encouragement really helped him.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:13 »
Thanks for all the replies.  He had a long talk with his Chief today.  He confirmed what you all have said, so he will be going to DTP.  On the bright side, the Chief complimented his work ethic, attitude, and that he never gave up.   I think that encouragement really helped him.

He's going to do great in his next job.

Good luck and please, keep us posted.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline BillAllman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:43 »

I know quite a few Nukes (at least 10 or so) who have gotten reclassified (everything from just going conventional to Gunnersmate) and have not seen one yet that has been separated.

As to the original question, there is no way to fight a three course failure regardless of work ethic.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?