Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineer-contractor pay range honeypot

Author Topic: Engineer-contractor pay range  (Read 8278 times)

Offline z.james37

• Very Lite User
Engineer-contractor pay range
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 04:27 »
Hello

I am a nuclear engineer with 8-10 years of experience with background in electrical/mechanical/licensing areas (different projects-different responsebilities over time).  I am contemplating in becoming a consultant/contractor but do not know what an appropriate billing rate is for someone like me. All questions below assume there are no benefits.

Is $80 an hour + per diem for a 1-year contract reasonable? 

What about jobs where you can work from home (e.g, an MCNP calc)- no per diem, but should the billing rate change to reflect the benefit of working from home?   

Should one charge more for projects that are only a month or two in duration? - I am thinking that longer term projects are more desirable (hence cpmpensation is lower) but maybe I got this one wrong...

thanks for any feedback

Offline dea

• Light User
Re: Engineer-contractor pay range
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:14 »
Looks like $80/hr is at the high end, check this site http://www.gcservices.com/ it's one of the few sites that I have seen that actually shows compensation rates.

ski2313

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:20 »
Pair of pay ranges I've seen for contractors, that might be considered long term (18-24 months):

procedure writer for uprate AOPs/EOPs = $80/hr no per diem

Ops training instructor = $105/hr plus $100/d per diem

Just as a disclaimer, these two guys had about 70 years of nuke experience between them, probably makes a difference.

Offline z.james37

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:10 »
Thanks guys - for someone like me the number i used does seem to be in the uper range..(even though I would most definitely deserve that pay hehe)...this contracting stuff is interesting though - I could take half a year off and make the same amount of money as working an equivalent full time job...time to make my prons/cons list in excel... 

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:52 »
Don't forget to include the benefits (vacation, holidays, sick time, 401k matching, health insurance rates, etc) you currently get in the spreadsheet.  They usually add up to a number that is larger than most people think.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?