Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Denuked sailor getting out
honeypot

Author Topic: Denuked sailor getting out  (Read 7520 times)

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
Denuked sailor getting out
« on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:57 »
Good evening,

I'm looking for some advice as far as career prospects after I transition out of the Navy. I was a sub nuke (3354) for the first 4 years of my navy career (on board a boat for just over a year before being denuked) and then was force converted to the CTR rating after being medically disqualified from submarine and nuclear field duty. I have since gotten a waiver for my disqualifying condition and am fully eligible to be a nuke again. The catch is that the surface navy has their hooks in me for a three year commitment as a surface CTR (PCS afloat) and then if I were to stay in the Navy, I would then have to go back to the submarine fleet and complete an additional full sea tour. I'm in no way interested in hitting 12 years time in service without seeing shore duty, so I've decided I'm going to get out.

At the time I reach my EAOS, I'll have had 6 years and 4 months in the Navy. I graduated from the pipeline and while on the boat i qualified up through throttleman before being denuked. Now, as a CTR, I'm qualified work center supervisor, watch supervisor and assistant EKMS manager among other topsider-centric watches as well as the standard QA/craftsman quals. I'll have my associates in NET from Excelsior by the time I separate. I would like to get back into the nuclear power industry and work my way up to an SRO position, but I'm not sure where I would fit into the industry given the way my navy career has taken me.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been accepted to the University of Alabama's Mechanical Engineering undergrad program as a backup, but if I can find a decent position in the power generation industry, that would be my preferred route.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Denuked sailor getting out
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:06 »
Yes, you would fit. Start applying for NLO positions if SRO is your goal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 »
Good evening,

I'm looking for some advice as far as career prospects after I transition out of the Navy. I was a sub nuke (3354) for the first 4 years of my navy career (on board a boat for just over a year before being denuked) and then was force converted to the CTR rating after being medically disqualified from submarine and nuclear field duty. I have since gotten a waiver for my disqualifying condition and am fully eligible to be a nuke again. The catch is that the surface navy has their hooks in me for a three year commitment as a surface CTR (PCS afloat) and then if I were to stay in the Navy, I would then have to go back to the submarine fleet and complete an additional full sea tour. I'm in no way interested in hitting 12 years time in service without seeing shore duty, so I've decided I'm going to get out.

At the time I reach my EAOS, I'll have had 6 years and 4 months in the Navy. I graduated from the pipeline and while on the boat i qualified up through throttleman before being denuked. Now, as a CTR, I'm qualified work center supervisor, watch supervisor and assistant EKMS manager among other topsider-centric watches as well as the standard QA/craftsman quals. I'll have my associates in NET from Excelsior by the time I separate. I would like to get back into the nuclear power industry and work my way up to an SRO position, but I'm not sure where I would fit into the industry given the way my navy career has taken me.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been accepted to the University of Alabama's Mechanical Engineering undergrad program as a backup, but if I can find a decent position in the power generation industry, that would be my preferred route.

Yes, you would fit. Start applying for NLO positions if SRO is your goal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Justin

Yep, good advice.

Navy Nuclear Power
=

Commercial Nuclear Power
=

If you can figure out which one is "The Big League" you got a chance,,,,,   :P

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 »
College or commercial power would both be great and available options.

Bama on the other hand.......

Good luck!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:37 »

Bama on the other hand.......

First in the alphabet, last in everything else ;)

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:05 »
Bama's three hours from home and is completely free (Yellow Ribbon Program) and is offering me $$$ to help cover living expenses.

GaTech and UGA both have really unfriendly admissions policies for veterans. Because I've been out of high school for so long and haven't taken my classes at "brick and mortar" institutions, neither are interested in me until I complete 30 credit hours at a brick and mortar school (even though  was accepted to one on early decision and the other one offered me a scholarship when i first applied my senior year of high school.)

My biggest concern about going to work instead of going to school is that I like civilization, and it seems like most of the plants in the Southeast are out in the boonies. I'm okay with working in the boonies, I'd just like to live in a town (not necessarily a city.)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2012, 05:17 »
Breathe... Go to school, get the degree. A bit of time to acclimatize to Civlant will let you pick a direction without hurrying.

With Nav experience, and a degree, the Ops opportunity will still be there, as well as others.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.  ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:00 »
I am in contact with a recruiter from scana who is hiring nlos for their vc Sumner plant, I believe it's for the new ap1000s, pm me if you're interested.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:51 »
I am in contact with a recruiter from scana

I think every navy nuke currently serving is in contact with that recruiter!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?