Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are pay rates slowly dropping?
honeypot

Author Topic: Are pay rates slowly dropping?  (Read 101600 times)

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: Are pay rates slowly dropping?
« Reply #100 on: Mar 16, 2016, 09:10 »
They don't even use pictures on their survey maps  ;)
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #101 on: Mar 16, 2016, 09:52 »
They don't even use pictures on their survey maps  ;)
meaning their aren't c.a.d. on there maps, theirs knot any hand drawn pix, oar photos aren't imported and integrated with they're mapage?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Nukefisher

• Lurker
« Reply #102 on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:08 »
As far as " Mexican mafia" goes....they are also the ones who locked personnel in a LHRA....deposted instead of down posted.........have to upgrade a non American to lead tech to be an interpreter then it takes two techs to do a job.....the ones I work with are no ball of fire......they get more IPad time than most......and what about three part communications? That goes out the window a lot. And why do we need Mexican deconners? Can only be so bhi makes money for there friend Bartlett de Mexico which doesn't help us Americans as there is no reciprocation with jobs down there. And the h1b visa is a joke because they work doing isfsi over summer as opposed to American techs. So they can spend three hours drawing a beautiful map and in the mean time the other techs are in the field covering the work why they do unnecessary drafting for a ten minute survey.

SpringChinook

« Reply #103 on: Mar 23, 2016, 07:33 »
As far as " Mexican mafia" goes....they are also the ones who locked personnel in a LHRA....deposted instead of down posted.........have to upgrade a non American to lead tech to be an interpreter then it takes two techs to do a job.....the ones I work with are no ball of fire......they get more IPad time than most......and what about three part communications? That goes out the window a lot. And why do we need Mexican deconners? Can only be so bhi makes money for there friend Bartlett de Mexico which doesn't help us Americans as there is no reciprocation with jobs down there. And the h1b visa is a joke because they work doing isfsi over summer as opposed to American techs. So they can spend three hours drawing a beautiful map and in the mean time the other techs are in the field covering the work why they do unnecessary drafting for a ten minute survey.

You haven't worked with the real "Mexican Mafia" then...unfortunately, for you! The crew that comes to Columbia is TOP-NOTCH!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #104 on: Mar 26, 2016, 06:54 »
pay four hp types is definitely dropping when considered against the c.o.l. eye yam thinking that tex knot sharing info on pay is a part of the problem, a major part. teks don't talk any moor. communication is the key. find ware the best money is n go their. low pay sites will raze the rate too got the nominal number kneaded for the work.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #105 on: Mar 26, 2016, 07:28 »
techs know.  I know where the money isn't.  Dominion for instance pays like 26/100 last I heard.  I think that is about the lowest in the industry.  I heard they don't have an easy time getting techs and alot of the ones they do get may not be the greatest.  people vote with their feet.  happens all the time.

here are some things I know from experience in the last 2 years.  maybe you had a diff exp.

fpl/nextera - brought in late 28/100 returnees 30 tiny bonus, 72s love to lay people off early
duke - brought in early 32/85 tiny bonus 72s decent on layoffs, little early
exelon - brought in early and late, 29ish/120 big bonus like 6$ an hour.  work 84s  decent on layoffs

early means at least 2 weeks of training

fpl/nextera is my least fav up there.  they bring you in early, don't pay very good, let you go quick.  i was on last layoff but still early compared to most plants

Offline wasteman

• Light User
« Reply #106 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:27 »
How about house tech money?  Any idea what the Michigan plants are paying their top step house techs?

BetaAnt

« Reply #107 on: Mar 26, 2016, 10:27 »
Now I'm about to P.O. people with one word - Union.

Road tech being paid $27/hr working 40's. Annual re-certification test and daily paperwork.
House techs paid $35/hr working 40's+. Annual re-certification test and daily paperwork.
Union Laborer pushing a broom and hauling trash $42/hr working 40's+ (includes medical and retirement but minus 2.5% dues). Annual GERT and NO paperwork.
Union Rigger lifting boxes paid $45/hr or Union Equipment Operator running a backhoe paid $50/hr. Again, annual GERT and NO paperwork.
Difference being UNION.

We had our chance to unionize years ago and were bought off by BHI, PSESI, ARC, NSS and intimidated by various site coordinators. The HP tech pool is shrinking due to age and pay. A deconner is nothing but a nuclear laborer (soon to be unionized). Who wants the hassle of low pay, limited hours, constant harassment by management, and getting older as a senior HP tech? Hell, Costco workers start at $17.50/hr with benefits and top at $25/hr.

I should have become a nuclear welder and have a retirement built up and a new Cadillac every 3 years. Instead, two marriages, two bankruptcies, and no retirement.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have screwed ourselves by being too independent ("I ain't joining no GD union!!!").

I'll save you a box for under the bridge, or some newspapers for that park-bench bed.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #108 on: Mar 26, 2016, 10:46 »
techs know.  I know where the money isn't.  Dominion for instance pays like 26/100 last I heard.  I think that is about the lowest in the industry.  I heard they don't have an easy time getting techs and alot of the ones they do get may not be the greatest.  people vote with their feet.  happens all the time.

here are some things I know from experience in the last 2 years.  maybe you had a diff exp.

fpl/nextera - brought in late 28/100 returnees 30 tiny bonus, 72s love to lay people off early
duke - brought in early 32/85 tiny bonus 72s decent on layoffs, little early
exelon - brought in early and late, 29ish/120 big bonus like 6$ an hour.  work 84s  decent on layoffs

early means at least 2 weeks of training

fpl/nextera is my least fav up there.  they bring you in early, don't pay very good, let you go quick.  i was on last layoff but still early compared to most plants
n on da threads four bonuses ( fall 2015, spring 2016) yins posted a couple sites on da fall, butt none fore spring....
n aye thing yores was the only post with money in it.
witch is my comm point, their isn't any.
tex ain't talking ourly, bonuses, duration, nutting.
n the pays stays the same.
iffen yins no witch plant is paying watt n whose going ware then won has a better idea.
post in public, like on this site, not on yore limited facebook page. get the green vibes going.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2016, 12:37 by SloGlo »

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #109 on: Mar 26, 2016, 07:50 »
The future for HPs is not looking good ..... Shorter outages, stagnant pay and fewer plants to work at.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #110 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:08 »
The future for HPs is not looking good ..... Shorter outages, stagnant pay and fewer plants to work at.
awl these reasons wood be a good reason two give serious consideration too change watt we can.... wages.z

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #111 on: Mar 28, 2016, 09:13 »
Now I'm about to P.O. people with one word - Union.

Road tech being paid $27/hr working 40's. Annual re-certification test and daily paperwork.
House techs paid $35/hr working 40's+. Annual re-certification test and daily paperwork.
Union Laborer pushing a broom and hauling trash $42/hr working 40's+ (includes medical and retirement but minus 2.5% dues). Annual GERT and NO paperwork.
Union Rigger lifting boxes paid $45/hr or Union Equipment Operator running a backhoe paid $50/hr. Again, annual GERT and NO paperwork.
Difference being UNION.

We had our chance to unionize years ago and were bought off by BHI, PSESI, ARC, NSS and intimidated by various site coordinators. The HP tech pool is shrinking due to age and pay. A deconner is nothing but a nuclear laborer (soon to be unionized). Who wants the hassle of low pay, limited hours, constant harassment by management, and getting older as a senior HP tech? Hell, Costco workers start at $17.50/hr with benefits and top at $25/hr.

I should have become a nuclear welder and have a retirement built up and a new Cadillac every 3 years. Instead, two marriages, two bankruptcies, and no retirement.
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have screwed ourselves by being too independent ("I ain't joining no GD union!!!").

I'll save you a box for under the bridge, or some newspapers for that park-bench bed.

[BS] You tell me where a union laborer is making $42 an hour. As far as the riggers and heavy equipment operators go, that actually takes skill and experience earning the higher rate. Although I'd bet that your quoted rates for them are high as well. If your concerned or jealous of their wages and benefits switch over.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #112 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:09 »
We have a strong Union where I am at an I guarantee a laborer is earning a third of that top of scale. A backhow operator maybe half.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #113 on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:14 »
A Skilled Laborer for heavy construction in KC, MO is about $30 on the check.

Detroit, MI is mid-20's.

St. Louis, MO is comparable to Detroit.

Steamfitter Welders can expect mid $30's to mid $40's dependent on location. Of course you have to pass the hire-on test which, unlike a meter swinger, isn't just a right or wrong answer to a question. It's skill based and at the sole discretion of the inspector. What may get you qualified at one site may get you "looked out" at the next.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2016, 02:10 by ksheed12 »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #114 on: Mar 28, 2016, 02:44 »
Welders have to requalify every 6 months in Indiana. The certification isn't easy at all.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #115 on: Mar 28, 2016, 04:14 »
Welders have to requalify every 6 months in Indiana. The certification isn't easy at all.

That's per code. If they haven't used the applicable process within the 6 months then they have requal. It's that way everywhere.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #116 on: Mar 28, 2016, 08:28 »
Incorrect. I run a training department. Every qualified welder has to perform a requal set of welds every 6 months.

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #117 on: Mar 29, 2016, 07:22 »
[BS] You tell me where a union laborer is making $42 an hour. As far as the riggers and heavy equipment operators go, that actually takes skill and experience earning the higher rate. Although I'd bet that your quoted rates for them are high as well. If your concerned or jealous of their wages and benefits switch over.

For what it's worth, those numbers aren't far off what I see at my union plant. Nearly $39 for senior utility workers ie laborers. A good number of them got a pay bump years ago for a maintenance helper position that went obsolete, but the uprate remained in place; they make over $41 an hour. So it is accurate at some sites. I'm also not complaining: what goes in one man's pocket doesn't take food out of my child's mouth.

For what it's worth...  [beer]
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #119 on: Mar 29, 2016, 10:42 »
Incorrect. I run a training department. Every qualified welder has to perform a requal set of welds every 6 months.

"No Colonel Sanders, your wrong. Mama's right!"

Per ASME IX

QW-322 Expiration and Renewal of
Qualification
QW-322.1 Expiration of Qualification. The performance
qualification of a welder or welding operator
shall be affected when one of the following conditions
occurs:
(a) When he has not welded with a process during
a period of 6 months or more, his qualifications for
that process shall expire; unless, within the six month
period, prior to his expiration of qualification,
(1) a welder has welded using a manual or semiautomatic
welding process which will maintain his qualification
for manual and semiautomatic welding with
that process;
(2) a welding operator has welded with a machine
or automatic welding process which will maintain his
qualification for machine and automatic welding with
that process.
(b) When there is a specific reason to question his
ability to make welds that meet the specification, the
qualifications which support the welding he is doing
shall be revoked. All other qualifications not questioned
remain in effect.

QW-322.2 Renewal of Qualification
(a) Renewal of qualification expired under QW-
322.1(a) above may be made for any process by welding
a single test coupon of either plate or pipe, of any
material, thickness or diameter, in any position, and
by testing of that coupon as required by QW-301 and
QW-302. A successful test renews the welder or welding
operator’s previous qualifications for that process for
those materials, thicknesses, diameters, positions, and
other variables for which he was previously qualified.
Providing the conditions of QW-304 and QW-305
are satisfied, renewal of qualification under QW-322.1(a)
may be done on production work.
(b) Welders and welding operators whose qualifications
have been revoked under QW-322.1(b) above
shall requalify. Qualification shall utilize a test coupon
appropriate to the planned production work. The coupon
shall be welded and tested as required by QW-301 and
QW-302. Successful test restores the qualification.

If your site is mandating that all welders requal every 6 months regardless if they have welded utilizing the applicable process then they are going above and beyond the Code, which is asinine.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2016, 05:18 by ksheed12 »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #120 on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:19 »

If your site is mandating that all welders requal every 6 months regardless if they have welded utilizing the applicable process then they are going above and beyond the Code, which is asinine.

yeah, like that never happens...

Chimera

« Reply #121 on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:22 »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #122 on: Mar 29, 2016, 02:31 »
For what it's worth, those numbers aren't far off what I see at my union plant. Nearly $39 for senior utility workers ie laborers. A good number of them got a pay bump years ago for a maintenance helper position that went obsolete, but the uprate remained in place; they make over $41 an hour. So it is accurate at some sites. I'm also not complaining: what goes in one man's pocket doesn't take food out of my child's mouth.

For what it's worth...  [beer]

Thanks for the information. I was referencing what I was aware of which would be specific to Building Trades union laborers. I am assuming that the senior utility workers you reference are "house" employees. I'm sure that makes a big difference. Still surprising to see it that high, but good for them.

cedugger

« Reply #123 on: Mar 29, 2016, 02:40 »
I took a look at the site you referenced.  Dang . . . I'm way overpaid.
Own it! Somebody has to be average...just be glad it's not you!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #124 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:31 »
yeah, like that never happens...

While I would be the first to agree our industry goes above and beyond what is really necessary, the fact that Rerun is speaking of a fossil facility makes it hard to believe. I've been onsite at a few of these and they are much more relaxed on their welding programs then any commercial nuke.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?